Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UEFA already prepared the Tel Avivians to the possibility they will not be allowed to entertain the home legs of their UEFA Cup matches in Israel. This is not the final decision but chances games will be played in Israel are slim. :(

Hapoel Tel Aviv will probably check out the Cyprus option again as well as Maccabi Tel Aviv. i think the same applys to Maccabi Haifa either. :(

:( :(

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
Once again they are making it difficult for the Israelis.:mad:

This is not fair! I think that if any other country had this problem they wouldn't make it so difficult for them.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
The Policy for UEFA is to have the games looked on every 2 weeks. So if the Situation is good 2 weeks before the game, the game will go on. If not they will have problems and there will be a neutral venue.

But the thing that the UEFA is missing here is that Neutral venue doesn't really mean Neutral grounds or out of the country grounds. Tel Aviv can play there games in stadium like the Ramat Gan stadium or Vinter stadium or the beer sheva stadium. The only thing that must come to arrangement is that both parties look and agree upon a security plan that both will agree...

Israel's main security is the foreigners and in no way will we let them get hurt by the Sub-human people!

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Well latest news are that Gavri Levi will meet with UEFA's Gerhard Aigner (something like that) on the weekend and will try to persuade him to let games take place in Israel as planned. Levy even suggests to play the homegames of the Israeli clubs in Europe at the National Stadium in Ramat Gan.

Levi BTW said Cyprus promised to arrive to the match against us in October without any problem, but Brno and Talinn were willing to come here as well, and UEFA didn't exactly care. If we want to look forward at the qualifiers, then IMO our biggest problem will probably be France (Kappa don't start with it). Seeing as Chelsea and Milan's French players didn't exactly want to play in Israel, and hearing what players in the French NT said a few months ago about the game, and knowing what some French fans said on these forums I am not exactly optimistic. Slovenia might cause problems, but since Osterc and Cimerotic have played here in the past they might convince their team-mates if needed. Cyprus have already agreed and I don't think Malta has any will to avoid the game in Israel neither.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Raanan said:
Well latest news are that Gavri Levi will meet with UEFA's Gerhard Aigner (something like that) on the weekend and will try to persuade him to let games take place in Israel as planned. Levy even suggests to play the homegames of the Israeli clubs in Europe at the National Stadium in Ramat Gan.
Shahar of Maccabi Haifa supports the idea. Letrs wait and see what Aigner says to Levi.

Yedioth Aharonot today claimed all 3 Israeli club officials will meet tomorrow and might consider a boycott on UEFA Cup and CL since if they can't host home games they can't profit from selling tickets and it doesn't pay off to pay more costs for hosting a game away from home and such.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Either UEFA decides to give some incentives to all 3 Israeli clubs, They compensate us, they give us a goal before the game or we'll boycott cause this is not fair!!!

The other European body like FIBA allows games, because since the start of the violence there hasn't been one problem for any team and all went threw.

UEFA takes this too seriously.....
and makes a big deal about something so small...

We'll be glad to play for extra security in the NT stadium! Plus more people!

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Update on Gavri's meeting...

www.uefa.com

UEFA reaffirms Israeli advice
Thursday 27 June 2002
UEFA has advised that European competition matches should still not be played in Israel for the time being.

Monthly review
European football's governing body has also announced that it will review the security situation in Israel on a monthly basis. The decision follows a meeting at UEFA's headquarters between UEFA Chief Executive Gerhard Aigner and Israel Football Association president Gavriel Levi.

Visiting consent
However, UEFA has also said that it will not exclude the possibility of matches taking place in Israel with the visiting team's consent, and if the visitors accept the staging of the match in Israel as their own responsibility.

'Helpful and constructive'
In a statement, Mr Aigner described the talks as "helpful and constructive". He added: "Having examined all of the available evidence on the current security situation and the continued threat of suicide attacks, UEFA must continue to advise that European games are not played in Israel for the time being.

Close monitoring
"However, we have agreed that we will closely monitor the situation and review our position on a monthly basis," the UEFA CEO said. "In addition, UEFA has agreed not to exclude the possibility of a match being played in Israel if the visiting team wishes to do so and accepts this as their own responsibility."

Good dialogue
Mr Levi described the talks with UEFA as "a good dialogue". "I appreciate the difficulties UEFA face here and I am happy that Mr Aigner has shown an open mind in agreeing to a monthly review and the notion that a team can play under its own responsibility."

Costs issue
He added: "We have also agreed that I will write formally to the Chief Executive on the issue of costs to Israeli teams and possible compensation being made available. I believe this will be given serious consideration."

Forthcoming matches
Forthcoming matches involving teams from Israel include the UEFA Intertoto Cup first round second-leg match between FC Ashdod and FC Brno. This match will be played in Dunajska Streda in the Czech Republic on Saturday.

Haifa game
Maccabi Haifa enter the UEFA Champions League at the second qualifying round stage. Their opponents are either Portadown FC of Northern Ireland or FC Belshina Bobruisk of Belarus, and the home match is scheduled for 31 July.

UEFA Cup duo
Two Israeli clubs are competing in the UEFA Cup qualifying round. Hapoel Tel-Aviv’s home match against KS Partizani of Albania is scheduled for 15 August and Maccabi Tel-Aviv are programmed to entertain Estonia’s FC Levadia Tallinn on 29 August.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well nothing new here, but it's good that UEFA allows teams that are willing to come here on their own risk to do so. The Cyprus FA Chairman has already promised Gavri during their meeting in the World Cup they have no problems of playing here and believe we can supply them with the appropriate security measures. So right now it looks like our clash with Cyprus in October will take place in Israel. Regarding the opponents of the Israeli clubs; The Estonians and Belarussian (if they beat the Northern Irish team) clubs won't come to Israel while I still do not know the stance of the Northern Irish club Portadown and Partizani, Hapoel Tel Aviv's Albanian rival.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
at least their decision will be tested each month. They work very professional and although I hate this decision they're being gentlemen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts