Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UEFA approves home-grown quotas

TALLINN, April 21 (Reuters) - Clubs taking part in European club competitions must include eight home-grown players in their 25-man squads by the start of the 2008-09 season following a landmark decision taken at UEFA's annual congress on Thursday.
The new rule will come into force at the start of the 2006-07 season with four home-grown players in the squads for Champions League and UEFA Cup matches, rising to six in 2007-08 and eight the season after.

The ruling does not apply to domestic competitions, although UEFA is encouraging its members to adopt the rule in their own competitions too.

The home-grown rule was the major decision approved by UEFA's 52 member nations, although the congress also agreed to defer the election for the next president of UEFA and other executive committee elections until 2007 to bring UEFA into line with FIFA and most of the other confederations.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
My only regret is that the application of this approval is only going to take place at the start of season 2006-2007 and that it will only apply to the Champions League. I wish it could take place sooner and that it could also apply to Serie A. I have no doubt that we will get to see more of the promising youngsters that are coming through Inter's youth system.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I know some people around here will complain about this quota system, but this is not the time nor place to do it. The thread is to counter the quota and argue on ways to implement this policy. Does this mean our transfer policy will be shaped around playing youngsters? Or getting Italians in our team, or does this quota not apply to this?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
From what I understand of the article, teams comepting in the Champions League are going to have to name at least 4 youngsters (home grown) in their squad for 2006-2007.

When you think about it, 4 youngsters in a squad of 25 is not such a big deal and coaches will be able to get away with fielding foreign players before young Italian players. It will get more difficult when the quota goes up to 6 and 8. Also, you will have noted that the obligation only goes as far as naming them in your squad as opposed to them playing.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
hmmm home grown huh

well would martins count

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Pulsar36 said:
Thanks for the input. I know some people around here will complain about this quota system, but this is not the time nor place to do it. The thread is to counter the quota and argue on ways to implement this policy. Does this mean our transfer policy will be shaped around playing youngsters? Or getting Italians in our team, or does this quota not apply to this?

It will not be italian since the rule doesn't say anything about having to have a certain set of italians. Oba martins will qualify as home grown . And its 2 home grown and 2 federations players from season 2006-2007. Fedaration players is any one who grew up at a club in side the same federation as the club, who spend 3 seasons between the age 0f 15 and 21 with the team. Hence Stankovic would qualify as well.

The rule is ok. Since it doesn't discriminate against any nationality.

It basically means we will see the likes of beati,potenza,beati,biava,eliakwu,ect. In the squad.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Inter01 said:
From what I understand of the article, teams comepting in the Champions League are going to have to name at least 4 youngsters (home grown) in their squad for 2006-2007.

When you think about it, 4 youngsters in a squad of 25 is not such a big deal and coaches will be able to get away with fielding foreign players before young Italian players. It will get more difficult when the quota goes up to 6 and 8. Also, you will have noted that the obligation only goes as far as naming them in your squad as opposed to them playing.
Max they said it will go is 4 homegrown players and 4 federation players.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Its going backwards.... Damn UEFA.

Superleague will be sooner than expected.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Pulsar36 said:
I know some people around here will complain about this quota system, but this is not the time nor place to do it.
Alright then I wont comment.

·
Registered
8,973 Posts
If its homegrown players doesnt that mean someone like Favalli will qualify for those obligations and Vieri will not, as he is raised in Australia.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
vlepnat said:
If its homegrown players doesnt that mean someone like Favalli will qualify for those obligations and Vieri will not, as he is raised in Australia.

Home grown players are those who spend 3 seasons between ages 15 and 21 with inter. Federation players are those who spend 3 seasons between 15 and 21 with another team in the same federation.

·
Registered
8,973 Posts
That kind of doesnt make sense. Because someone who is homegrown is some one who lives their life in that country. But anyways if its that way its that way, what can u do.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
this is what i understood today on the teletext
"by home-grown they mean players that played in the country of the club for 3 years (starting from 15th till 21th birthday of the player), and the nationality of the player doesnt make any difference"

·
Registered
46,317 Posts
sub-d said:
this is what i understood today on the teletext
"by home-grown they mean players that played in the country of the club for 3 years (starting from 15th till 21th birthday of the player), and the nationality of the player doesnt make any difference"
So Martins is homegrown.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
So are most of the Italians on our squad: Favalli, Toldo, CZ, Pasquale, Coco. Not sure about Vieri though.

Does anyone know how many years Adriano played in Italy before he reached the age of 22? I think he can also be in the home-grown category :) That would be really cool!

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
I think this quota system will result in many big teams wasting no time in buying young prospects, especially the ones from South America, and loan them out to the smaller teams in Italy for development.

This will further infuriate the South American football fans.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
I just cant see how this quota system will help anyone. If a young Italian player is talented enough, he will prove to everyone that he deserves a chance. Forcing them on a team will put them under the pressure of performing at such a young age, which might eventually prove fatal to their development, and thus, hindering the progress of the beautiful sport.

Bringing in compulsory players just for the sake of European football will reduce the efficiency of the club and the sport.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Razman said:
So are most of the Italians on our squad: Favalli, Toldo, CZ, Pasquale, Coco. Not sure about Vieri though.

Does anyone know how many years Adriano played in Italy before he reached the age of 22? I think he can also be in the home-grown category :) That would be really cool!
I he arrived at age 19. But he won't qualify since he spend 1/2 year at viola and then 1 1/2 at parma. So he didn't spend 3 years at any of his 3 italian clubs.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
stefan9 said:
I he arrived at age 19. But he won't qualify since he spend 1/2 year at viola and then 1 1/2 at parma. So he didn't spend 3 years at any of his 3 italian clubs.
Oh shit... So you have to be playing 3 years under one team? :googly:

A guy who has been moving around clubs during that age cannot be considered home-grown? If so, then UEFA has one ****ed up decision-making committee.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts