Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Romania is hosting this year's Under-19 European Championship and it will be the 58th edition of the tournament. There will be four venues in this tourney. They are Berceni (2,600), Buftea (450), Chiajna (3,700), and Mogoasoaia (1,000). The capacity of each stadium is in parentheses. Here are the qualfied teams:

Belgium
Czech Republic
Greece
Romania(host)
Republic of Ireland
Serbia
Spain
Turkey

That makes 8 teams in total that qualified. There are two groups of four teams. They are

Group A:
Czech Republic
Greece
Republic of Ireland
Romania

Group B:
Belgium
Serbia
Spain
Turkey

The source for complete list of squads is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_UEFA_European_Under-19_Football_Championship_squads

A couple sites are:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_UEFA_European_Under-19_Football_Championship

http://www.uefa.com/under19/index.html

The games are from July 20-August 1. Hope there's no thread already created for this one :D.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The first games are:

Group A
Greece vs Rep. of Ireland
Romania vs Czech Rep.

Group B
Turkey vs Serbia
Spain vs Belgium

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I think Spain will be dominating all their competition. The real fight to watch out for is second place. There's lots of competition there. Turkey, Czech Rep., Serbia, Greece, and maybe even Romania because of the home advantage throughout the competition. Now there's a real fight.

·
Banned
5,801 Posts
Spain's group is rather interesting. Belgium have had an explosion of young prospects in the past few years while Serbia and Turkey are certainly not the untalented bunch. Whoever tops Group B is my pick to win it.

Group A isn't bad either.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, Group B is the "Group of Death" of the two lone groups :D. But, Spain will ease through this competition, most likely just like they did in the U21 competition and once again, the big fight is for second.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, also, I'm wondering. How the heck did Turkey, Spain, and Serbia all get in one group?? Do they not have pots or something. It leaves a group like Group A (no offense) with a ,iddle-ranked countries in this tournament.

·
Registered
69,196 Posts
usually in youth tournaments there are only two pots...the first pot containing the hosts and the highest seed and the rest is an open draw

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Spain are missing two of their best payers. Javier Espinosa and Rafinha Alcantara(Thiagos younger brother) both got injured in the last few weeks. Big loss for the Spanish and it'll be interesting to see how they cope without them.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think they'll still do fine. Those were two, very key, losses for the Spainards but let's not forget. They still have Pablio Sarabia with 6 goals in 11 caps and Alvoro Marato with 5 goals in 9 caps (he plays for Real Madrid youth). Plus, they got a future Arsenal player in Ignasi Miguel who has 4 caps and a goal on his record. And there's still more to mention so that gives an idea of their talent on that roster. I'm sure they'll be fine. Oh, let's not forget. They are Spain :D.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All through the group stages the kick off times are together in each group which is a bit shit.
Oh, really? If it is true, I'll have to pick one game to watch each time a group is playing, or I can have two links up and take turns watching the games going on.

Or, I could watch all of Spain's game. :thumbsup:

:D

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Sarabia is excellent. Didn't realise he was eligible for this tournament. He's only just moved from Real Madrid Castilla to Getafe, so we should be seeing alot more of him in La Liga this year too. Watch out for Gerard Deulofeu aswell. He's only 17 but he should be starting for Spain. He's lightning. Spain played a training match between the members of the squad the other day and his team won 7-0. He scored 6 of the goals.

I'm actually pretty pissed that Espinosa is injured for this tournament. I've seen him play loads of times for Barcas Juvenil A team and he is superb. Was really looking forward to seeing him. If he manages to get fit for some of the pre-season Pep will more than likely give him a chance witht the first team, so maybe it's for the best?

·
The one who was Bella
20,196 Posts
Not having Rafinha and Espinosa really blows for Spain, and to all us viewers.

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
Sarabia is excellent. Didn't realise he was eligible for this tournament. He's only just moved from Real Madrid Castilla to Getafe, so we should be seeing alot more of him in La Liga this year too. Watch out for Gerard Deulofeu aswell. He's only 17 but he should be starting for Spain. He's lightning. Spain played a training match between the members of the squad the other day and his team won 7-0. He scored 6 of the goals.

I'm actually pretty pissed that Espinosa is injured for this tournament. I've seen him play loads of times for Barcas Juvenil A team and he is superb. Was really looking forward to seeing him. If he manages to get fit for some of the pre-season Pep will more than likely give him a chance witht the first team, so maybe it's for the best?
didnt realise sarabia was in this, good stuff.

a great forward line and "attacking" midfielders, other than that im not sure who those defenders are or if theyre any good.

·
The one who was Bella
20,196 Posts
Btw, is Jese Rodriguez that kid from the U-17 team last year is injured? why wasn't he called up, Zoric?

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
10,885 Posts
Rafinha getting injured is awful. This guy is better than Thiago. Yeah I said it, you guys can quote me after 5 years.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Rafinha is more of a forward player than Thiago. He's been playing the Messi position for the Juvenil A team for most of the past season. It's hard to compare him to Thiago for this reason. Really good player though, and he'll be missed by Spain.

And about the defenders, Reddy. I've seen both Sergi Gomez and Ignasi Miquel playing and they both look like decent defenders. Sergi Gomez has even played 90 minutes for the Barcelona first team in last years Spanish Super Cup against Sevilla. He's been playing for the Juvenil A team(the team of Rafinha, Espinosa, Gerard Deulofeu and Dongou) that won every competition they were in this year, and he has been immense for them. I saw Miquel play against Leyton Orient in the FA Cup and he was pretty good. The Arsenal fans can probably tell you more about him.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts