Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

15 September 2011: Club Atlético de Madrid vs Celtic FC
29 September 2011: Stade Rennais vs Club Atlético de Madrid
20 October 2011: Udinese Calcio vs Club Atlético de Madrid
3 November 2011: Club Atlético de Madrid vs Udinese Calcio
30 November 2011: Celtic FC vs Club Atlético de Madrid
15 December 2011: Club Atlético de Madrid vs Stade Rennais

The draw is concluded.

Falcão assisted the draw and Miodrag Belodedić managed to give us a very tough group. Atlético will be playing Udinese who's one of the most exciting sides in Europe at this point, they might have lost Alexis, Inler and Zapatá but they've replaced those players with players who'll end up giving them plenty of things in return. I've seen all of Stade Rennais games this season and they're also a very good team which we might potentially struggle against as they've got all attributes we usually have a problem with; athleticism, physical presence and a deadly counter attack with Pitroïpa, Boukari, Montaño and Féret on top of everything. Let's wait and see whether M'Vila leaves though, might be a big disadvantage for them.

Finally, we're also playing Celtic since Sion got excluded. The Swiss were handed a transfer ban by FIFA's court called CAS and gone on to sign players while they've played in the preliminaries. It's a very tough draw despite them not being the best these days.

Let's use this thread for the Europa League.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sion have been kicked out of Europa League because they breached their transfer ban and Celtic will replace them in the tournament. UEFA announced this today.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Celtic have a bit of bad history with Atletico in European football, it's one of the fixtures that always features in our club history DVD's (for all the wrong reasons). The match in question was the European Cup semi-final first-leg at Celtic Park in 1974, basically our star man at the time, Jimmy Johnstone, was targeted for some rough treatment by the Atletico players in the match and you had something like 4 players sent off. Atletico won the 2nd leg in Spain 2-0 and went through to the final.

We also played in the 1st Round of the 1985/86 Cup Winners Cup. The first game in Madrid ended in a 1-1 draw but Atletico won the 2nd leg at Celtic Park 2-1, so maybe it'll be third time lucky for us this year!

In the modern day we've had some trouble competing in Europe in recent seasons, particularly away from home where our record is horrendous to say the least. I might be biased but i do think we're a far better team than that record shows. Our problem area is undoubtedly in defence though, we lack a settled central defensive partnership that can be relied upon. In midfield and attack we have talented players though. Our key men are probably Ki Sung-Yeung, who is a midfield playmaker with fantastic passing ability, vision, and long-range shooting, Kris Commons, who has a weapon for a left foot and also great with long-range shots, and in attack our main goalscorer is Gary Hooper, who is your typical No.9 and an exceptional forward.

I haven't seen this season's Atletico team in action yet but looking at your team on paper i think we'll need to carry a huge amount of luck to take anything when we visit Spain for the first match. At Celtic Park though we're more than capable of beating the best on our day. Personally i'm just delighted to see my team back at this level after resigning myself to another season without European football after the Sion result.

Below is a couple of pieces of memorabillia from our previous meetings.

See you in a few weeks. Hail Hail!

1974 European Cup Semi-Final Match Programme

1985 Cup Winners Cup 1st Round Match Programme

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sion were handed a transfer ban after they signed Essam El-Hadary from Al-Alhy three years ago. This ban started in 2010-2011 and they were banned from signing players, however, Sion decided to go against it and would eventually field players who had been signed by them against Celtic in the play-off round of Europa League. One of them went on to score two of their goals against Celtic, Pascal Feindonou. That's the source of the problem.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
The group became rather difficult then... four decent teams.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
we will win it still, we have falcao.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Scottish football is going downhill really fast, I remember when they actually were a threat in the CL group stages , Atleti and Udinese still favorites for 1st and 2nd places imo.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
UEFA Europa League Group Stage Day 1 vs Celtic

Atletico Madrid take on Celtic at the Calderon in their first match of the group stage in the UEFA Europa League. The former champions are in a tough group along with Udinese & Rennes in Group-I. The focus will be on Falcao who was the leading goal scorer in this tournament last year when playing for Porto.

The following players have been called :

Goalkeepers
13. Courtois.
25. Sergio Asenjo.

Defenders
2. Godín.
3. Antonio López.
18. Domínguez.
21. Perea.
23. Miranda.

Midfielders
4. Mario Suárez.
5. Tiago.
8. Salvio.
10. Reyes.
11. Arda Turan.
14. Gabi.
19. Koke.
22. Diego.

Strikers
7. Adrián.
9. Falcao.
15. Pizzi.

Both the regular wing backs Silvio & Filipe have been rested. Pizzi might make his debut.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Let's use this thread for Europa League.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Definitely, Ram, done.

·
Registered
259 Posts
--------------Asenjo
Perea----Godin--Miranda----Lopez
-------Suarez-------Koke
Salvio--------Diego--------Turan
--------------Falcao

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Official line-up: Courtois; Perea, Godín, Miranda, Antonio López; Koke, Mario, Gabi; Diego, Falcao and Arda.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
we are playing amazing i am loving this new team.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Absolutely brilliant goal for the 2-0 lead, Diego on fire right now, finally looks settled. New look Athleti look quite an outfit. Turan, what a player.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Now Adrian comes for Gabi. Very strange sub given the number of attacking players already on the field.

1 - 20 of 255 Posts