Xtratime Community banner

Who will with this UEFA Euro 2020 Group Stage match?

1 - 20 of 311 Posts

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
vs.

June 13th, 2021 - 15:00 CET (9:00 EDT)

Wembley Stadium, London (Capacity 90,000)​

Opening match in Group D of UEFA Euro 2020 sees HRVATSKA take on England at Wembley.

From UEFA.com - England vs Croatia: UEFA EURO 2020 match background, facts and stats

• Croatia reached the final of the 2018 FIFA World Cup at the expense of England, who turned the tables later that year to qualify for the inaugural UEFA Nations League Finals.

• This is the second time the teams have met at the UEFA European Championship, with co-hosts England making their tenth appearance in the finals and Croatia their sixth. However, while England have never won on Matchday 1, Croatia are still to taste defeat – winning their last three opening fixtures at the final tournament.

• The countries have played in three previous UEFA European Championship fixtures, the first coming at UEFA EURO 2004 when two Wayne Rooney goals helped England to a 4-2 Matchday 3 victory in Lisbon that took Sven-Göran Eriksson's team into the quarter-finals at the expense of a Croatia team coached by Otto Barić.

UEFA.com on England:
• Southgate's side finished top of Group A in UEFA EURO 2020 qualifying, winning seven of their eight matches (L1) to progress six points ahead of the Czech Republic, who are also in Group D at the final tournament. England's sole defeat came away to the Czechs in their fifth fixture (1-2); they had beaten them 5-0 at Wembley in their opening game.

• Kane finished as the overall top scorer in the qualifying group stage with 12 goals, scoring at least once in every game. He also provided five assists.

• Raheem Sterling was involved in 15 of England's 37 qualifying goals, scoring eight himself with seven assists.

• England have never won their opening group game at a UEFA European Championship in eight previous attempts (D5 L3). They have drawn their last two Matchday 1 fixtures 1-1, against Russia in 2016 and France four years earlier. They also drew 1-1 against Switzerland at Wembley in the opening match of EURO '96.

• The defeat by Iceland in the last 16 at UEFA EURO 2016 is England's only reverse in their last 11 EURO finals matches (W5 D5), with the eliminations on penalties by Italy (2012) and Portugal (2004) counted as draws.

• England have never lost in the finals of a major tournament at Wembley (W7 D3), though they have drawn both Matchday 1 fixtures and were defeated on penalties there by Germany after a 1-1 draw in the semi-final of EURO '96.

• England's record at Wembley is W179 D72 L38. They have won their last five matches at the stadium, including UEFA EURO 2020 qualifiers against the Czech Republic (5-0), Bulgaria (4-0) and Montenegro (7-0); a 2-1 UEFA Nations League defeat by Spain on 8 September 2018 is their only loss in their last 17 matches at Wembley (W12 D4).

UEFA.com on HRVATSKA:
• This is Croatia's sixth EURO; they have missed out just once since independence, at UEFA EURO 2000, meaning this is their fifth successive finals. They have twice reached the last eight and twice bowed out at the group stage.

• Croatia's UEFA EURO 2016 campaign was ended in the round of 16 by eventual champions Portugal, who were 1-0 winners after extra time. A team coached by Ante Čačić had finished first in their section on seven points, ahead of defending champions Spain.

• Dalić's charges were Group E winners in qualifying for UEFA EURO 2020, picking up 17 points from their eight matches to finish three points ahead of Wales.

• Croatia are unbeaten on Matchday 1 at EURO (W4 D1), winning the last three such matches including a 1-0 defeat of Turkey at UEFA EURO 2016.

• Having been eliminated by Portugal after extra time four years ago, a 2-1 defeat in Hungary on 24 March 2019 is Croatia's only loss over 90 minutes in their last 14 EURO matches (W9 D4).

• Croatia's record in England is W4 D1 L7. At EURO '96 in the country, they won two and lost two of their four matches, bowing out after a 2-1 defeat against eventual winners Germany in the quarter-finals at Old Trafford in Manchester.

UEFA.com list of opposing players who are or have been club teammates:
• Have played together:
Jordan Henderson & Dejan Lovren (Liverpool, 2014–2020)
Trent Alexander-Arnold & Dejan Lovren (Liverpool, 2016–2020)
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain & Dejan Lovren (Liverpool, 2017–2020)
Raheem Sterling & Dejan Lovren (Liverpool 2014/15)
Tyrone Mings & Lovre Kalinić (Aston Villa 2018–)
Danny Rose & Luka Modrić (Tottenham 2010–12)
Kieran Trippier & Šime Vrsaljko (Atlético Madrid 2019–)
Callum Hudson-Odoi & Mateo Kovačić (Chelsea 2018–)
Fikayo Tomori, Tammy Abraham, Mason Mount & Mateo Kovačić (Chelsea 2019–)

Provisional Squad:

Head to Head comparison:

Betting odds from OddsChecker.com:

·
Registered
22,851 Posts
Ah the memories....

My voice has still not fully recovered from going bezerk...lol

PS I have a great pic in my office of Mandzo screaming, Perisic hugging him and Pivaric with them arm in the air right after this goal.

#itsnotcominghome

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm so nervous about this game. Our form has been shit, England have a strong squad but play defensive and Modric has played almost every single game for Real Madrid.

In saying that, we've done well to find young replacements since 2018 and we always show up for tournaments. Apart from the Mexico game in 2014 I can't remember the last time I was disappointed in a repka performance at a major tournament.

Also where is Super Eagles to tell us Nigeria will take out the Euros ?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I would like to see us with this 11 against England.

Livakovic
Vrsaljko Lovren Caleta Gvardiol
Modric Brozo Kovacic
Perisic Kramaric Rebic

Brekalo Vlasic Ivanusec Petkovic second half.
English will use their athleticism and speed we need guys that are ready to fight that défend well and that can deal with their rhythm.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Kane makes his intentions known and is set to exit Spurs this summer. If Daniel Levy stays true to form, it will be a difficult process. Exactly the sort of thing that agitates a player who should be focusing on the Euro's. Every little advantage...

·
Registered
390 Posts
I would like to see us with this 11 against England.

Livakovic
Vrsaljko Lovren Caleta Gvardiol
Modric Brozo Kovacic
Perisic Kramaric Rebic

Brekalo Vlasic Ivanusec Petkovic second half.
English will use their athleticism and speed we need guys that are ready to fight that défend well and that can deal with their rhythm.
I wouldn't be against this specifically against England but I feel we play better overall with Petkovic and Vlasic.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I like how Nepoznat's polls has us never never losing this game :). Anyway i came across this video on BT sport. Our present day nemesis? we have played them more then anyone else recently, so maybe they are just that. Glenn Hoddle , Joe Cole and Rio Ferdinand talking strategy, squad and formations against up. Glenn Hoddle is the one to listen to here, as he coached England back in the 90's. I don't think that Gareth southgate is a very good in game manager. i doubt Dalic can take advantage of that , as he not that great of an in game manager either. So we will see.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I like how Nepoznat's polls has us never never losing this game :). Anyway i came across this video on BT sport. Our present day nemesis? we have played them more then anyone else recently, so maybe they are just that. Glenn Hoddle , Joe Cole and Rio Ferdinand talking strategy, squad and formations against up. Glenn Hoddle is the one to listen to here, as he coached England back in the 90's. I don't think that Gareth southgate is a very good in game manager. i doubt Dalic can take advantage of that , as he not that great of an in game manager either. So we will see.

Watching that vid just made me realize how stacked England's squad really is. They have much more versatility and depth on their side. The only real weakness is lack of experience, for many of those players it will be their first major tournament.

·
Registered
22,851 Posts
Watching that vid just made me realize how stacked England's squad really is. They have much more versatility and depth on their side. The only real weakness is lack of experience, for many of those players it will be their first major tournament.
They have speed up front that will cause us problems, but technically in the middle of the park can't control matches and will crash out sooner or later. And Mcguire and stones are mistakes waiting to happen at the back.

Just like in Russia, I knew with Luka, Rakitic and Broz, we'd control the middle of the park and dictate the tempo.

I remember Ferdidand and some of these other clown pundits completely overlooking us before the semi and even predicting they'd hammer us 3-0. Ooops...

#itsnotcominghome

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
They have speed up front that will cause us problems, but technically in the middle of the park can't control matches and will crash out sooner or later. And Mcguire and stones are mistakes waiting to happen at the back.

Just like in Russia, I knew with Luka, Rakitic and Broz, we'd control the middle of the park and dictate the tempo.

I remember Ferdidand and some of these other clown pundits completely overlooking us before the semi and even predicting they'd hammer us 3-0. Ooops...

#itsnotcominghome
Yes, it took us 25-30 minutes but we eventually took over the tempo of the game in 2018 and England began launching Hail Mary's, even though they were up a goal.

Perisic woke up with 35 minute's to play and he was our difference maker. I'm hoping we don't allow them to score first...it could be hell trying to come back and could lead to their fast counter-attacks!

This will be a tough game but I do believe we can manage a result!

·
Registered
247 Posts
We also faced england after going to pks against Russia while they had an easy game against Sweden.
They definitely can hurt us but we also have the team to break their rhythm.
I think that with everybody focused and prepared physically for the fight we can get a result.

·
Registered
22,851 Posts
Yes, it took us 25-30 minutes but we eventually took over the tempo of the game in 2018 and England began launching Hail Mary's, even though they were up a goal.

Perisic woke up with 35 minute's to play and he was our difference maker. I'm hoping we don't allow them to score first...it could be hell trying to come back and could lead to their fast counter-attacks!

This will be a tough game but I do believe we can manage a result!
I think we can do it as well. How Luka, Ivan and Broz go, so will we.

Their speedy guys up front (and those little w.ankers Foden and Mount are quick) will be dangerous all game against our "slow" back line...so we need to control tempo and keep possession throughout. Technically we are still better than them and with Luka pulling the strings, we will always have a chance.

PS France with Benzema back now is absolutely loaded. We'd need to play the game of our lives to beat them in a knock out. Anything is possible though.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I think we can do it as well. How Luka, Ivan and Broz go, so will we.

Their speedy guys up front (and those little w.ankers Foden and Mount are quick) will be dangerous all game against our "slow" back line...so we need to control tempo and keep possession throughout. Technically we are still better than them and with Luka pulling the strings, we will always have a chance.

PS France with Benzema back now is absolutely loaded. We'd need to play the game of our lives to beat them in a knock out. Anything is possible though.
We completely controlled the game vs France in the finals and if we can press high and create turnovers, we can do it again. France were very fortunate...everything went their way, including the ref, phantom calls and in duels where everything seemed to go their way!

I just hope we have the right mentality to start the game and we need to maintain possession, physical dominance and their long balls will be cut off by our defenders.

·
Registered
390 Posts

#itsnotcominghome
This England team is much better technically than in 2018 though. Having guys like Foden and Graelish will really help them imo.

If they do go with that 3 4 3 in the vid with Shaw at lcb, sterling or Saka at lwb, rice and Phillips in the middle, TAA on the right with Graelish Foden and Kane up front I think we might be on the back foot.

Like Diego said I think it might be better to go with Kovacic over Vlasic for the England game.

·
No pain - No gain.
4,385 Posts
I don't think that we'll win against England, anyway this is clearly better to finish second from our group and avoid the Germany group...

Finish second still the best thing to do in this Euro and cross the fingers to avoid Spain later. So it's simple, our run will be made only with strong opponents until the final... We're present in the most difficult part of the table and every possibility will be tough for us.

So, I really think the little teams gonna have this words to say in this Euro, covid has changed everything, and I'm sure that the calendar will affect strong players from better clubs. Maybe I'm wrong but I still believe that teams like Turkey, Italy, Austria, Macedonia, Hungary etc... will be very interesting to watch and will cause many troubles to the "best sides". Their players will be more fit and surely less tired by the season.

Each competitions like Euro or WC are made of tactical matches, but this physical aspect is and will be always very important. And for example, I don't really think that English players will be able to play at 100% each match, with high intensity of play. I'm sure that they gonna be tired after 60 mins, and we'll see for sure some injuries coming into the tournament as well.

Covid has affected calendar during the season but also the players as well. So, I'm sure that from all these groups of teams, we'll see some surprises becoming from the "little sides".

And maybe we'll be one of them, because we have a team mixed by young and old players. But we the chance that our oldest players hasn't played a lot of important matches during this season. Apart maybe players like Modric (with CL) and Brozovic (with high distance covered during his season).

Plus the rest of our players didn't fought for a CL or European place, with difficult matches, high intensity etc... They had for most part of them a good season, with more or less good results. But all in all, they're all in good form, with a good back up of energy for the tournament.

So, we'll see what will happen, here are my thoughts as well about the Euro to come. :) 🔥

·
No pain - No gain.
4,385 Posts
We completely controlled the game vs France in the finals and if we can press high and create turnovers, we can do it again. France were very fortunate...everything went their way, including the ref, phantom calls and in duels where everything seemed to go their way!

I just hope we have the right mentality to start the game and we need to maintain possession, physical dominance and their long balls will be cut off by our defenders.
Yes, I totally agree ! And we need to remember that Strinic has Mbappe in his pocket during all the first half... Strinic has blocked him 2 or 3 times as well, and frustrated him because he wasn't able to make dribbles and test Suba. We're able to make it again against strong opponents, but we only need more time to make our team stronger and the players to gel.

I strongly believe that Dalic and the players can make it again !

Before 2018 WC, nobody has thought one second that Strinic has the capacities to block Mbappe, or Pivaric to make it during the tournament against England NT as well. Both were realy impressive...

Here everybody is against Dalic choices etc... But one thing is sure, he's able to find chemistry between our players, and he's able to give them this desire to fight well, with heart for their colors.

The only thing that I'm a bit afraid is from our defense, this one is by time a bit shaky, but remember how our defense was very solid against France during the Nation League, but how the ref has destroyed again the perspective of the matches, with some bad calls. Our defense need to improve, but with Euro, our players will be more focus than they were during Nations League or during WC qualification campaign.

We can do it again ! AJMO !

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
England's defence isn't top notch but their pace all over the pitch is a big worry. I hope Southgate sticks to playing with three at the back, I think whichever way Dalić goes with our formation it's going to suit us.

England's youth is a bit of a double-edged sword. I think the likes of Foden and Mount are an upgrade on Alli and Lingaard, but like some have said, they're going to have a bunch of guys playing their first tournament. Don't know what the crowd situation will be like but they'll be under a lot of pressure.

Can't recall ever being so unsure before a tourney about how we're going to line up and in what formation. The diamond 4-4-2 in Slovenia was a surprise, maybe a one off.

-Will we see a 4-2-3-1?
-Does Ćaleta-Car make the XI?
-Vlašić or Kovačić?
-Will Kramarić start?
-Could there be a surprise like Perišić at LB?
-Will any of the U21s actually figure seriously?

We'll be a bit wiser after the two friendlies.

I'm just worried about our defence. Vrsaljko has hardly played this year and Barišić isn't up to this level IMO. Vida and Lovren going around again doesn't fill me with confidence.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
^ i think a 4-5-1(3-5-2 offensivley) is our best shot. I also think the our fullbacks will have trouble defending those wide areas against the English. I like others see that as our greatest problems. they get wide or around those fullbacks then we are exposed as none of those guys are fleet of foot(maybe bradaric has a bit of pace in him, but i doubt he starts). I think them playing at home will not be a big deal. Youth tend to feel less pressure i think.
I think we need to dictate tempo, but i think it will be harder this time. Last time they only had Jordan henderson in that midfield that shielded their back line. This time i am expecting 2 of Rice, Bellingham and Phillips to sit there provide cover, forcing us down the flanks.
And i think we need to start in that midfield with Kovacic-Brozovic - Modric. i would consider playing kramaric and Petkovic off each other. as Kramaric can dribble with the ball and drop into midfield and pick it up , while Petkovic can hold it up and stay higher up the pitch. Maybe not much of a press from this team but with Perisic and maybe/hopefully Barisic has it in him to do the same from the other side.I am thinking a similar kind of formation as Hoddle suggested for England, we can sort of make use of Barisic to at least press . knowing that if he goes up he has cover from Defenders. Leaving Vrsaljko holding in that back 3 with Vida and Lovren.
The reason i would start Kramaric and Petkovic, is Petkovic is better at giving then scoring. And i see that Kramaric has played a few games as an AM recently, and he is in form. So...

1 - 20 of 311 Posts