Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you care or not about this competition

I am going to write yes, because as we seem to be heading in the CL next year, it is nice to play some of the best teams in Europe through the UEFA in preparation for next season. Hopefully if we get through this round we start to meet some top european clubs!!!

I of course, want us to fully concentrate on Serie A but it would be nice to see how we do in this comp also!!!

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
I care, just not much.:tongue:

I had quite a lenghty discussion with some people at the Addicts forum about whether we should use all our best players even in the early rounds of the UEFA Cup as some of them proposed. Persanlly I feel we don't have the squad debth needed to win both Seria A and the UEFA Cup and by commiting ourselves on two fronts we really put ourselves in big danger of failing in both. I would want to rest our key players even if we reach the semis unless we have no realistic chance for the Seria A anymore.

·
On Planet Z
6,520 Posts
Demandred said:
I would want to rest our key players even if we reach the semis unless we have no realistic chance for the Seria A anymore.
That sounds like a sensible plan to me, actually...the strange thing is, though, is that a lot of pundits have slated Roma to win it outright, even after the arrival of the CL fallers. All I can say to that is "woah!" :dazed:

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
I care about it!

Sure the league is damn important, but seen from the perspective we "just" won it, the Uefa Cup would give me A LOT!
Most of my 'older' friends care even more about it.
Many of them in their mid-30's and Romanisti all their lives...never experiencing international honours is painfull.Especially when seeing other clubs from Italy winning it and we have to watch the finals only on TV and not partecipating.
But winning the league only twice in your life so far isn't much fun either.(In 83 i was only 4 years old and starting to support Roma from 1990 on, losing the final against Inter in my first season as a fan wasn't that painfull as it would be now, but still not a nice memory). So i can see and learned to understand it from my friends point of view who need such a Cup even more desperate like me.
Just when i imagine the emotions and dreams the night before such a final before you go to bed, and pray it will work.
When you wake up and know, TODAY is the day the dreams could come true.
At evening when you sit with your friends or even in the stadium, like a total nervous wreck unable to comunicate in the usual human way anymore...the hope, the relief, the joy when a goal is scored.
Kinda reminds me of 17th june 01, but in Uefa Cup Final we would have even to wait 6 hours more for Kickoff...
Anyway i sort of lost track what i wanted to say, but i hope you get my point.

We can't rely on winning Serie A without any help anymore.We have to stay on Milan's heels and hope they slip sometimes.On the european base it's all in our hands and we can do it.

DAJE LUPI! Vinci per noi...

P.S
Almost as important as the Uefa Cup for me is to knock out Liverpool on the way there :skull:

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
well besides this horrific result in Turkey we should still be able to go thru, but its not that easy.....i wouldnt be shocked if we are knocked out now....1-0, im was almost surprised about it knowing Cassano and Totti were not playing.....but then, there is no reasons to believe anyone else but those two can score a goal on our team besides Montella also....Capello asked for it.....hopefully totti and cassano needed to be rested...cause if he just didnt want to use him he was dead wrong

Pippo_Inzaghi, worry about Sparta Prague, we'll worry about Gaziantepspor :stress:

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We are crap away in Europe this season against teams who wouldnt even comoete too well in Serie A :rolleyes:

Vardar 1-1
Hadjuk 1-1
Gaziantepspor 0-1

I know we arent playing our best team but we better sort this out!!!

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
The UEFA Cup is a highly prestigiuos cup, well worthy of winning.
It's one of my favorite competitions, the only problem is that people who are finishing sixith are qualifying for it, when really it should be those who are finishing 4th or even 3rd. The only reason why it's lost respectability is because it's so easy to qualify for it.

Having said that there are still big-name teams who qualify year after years and it's usually a big name team that wins it in the end.

There is no reason to disrespect a competition of such tradition.

Winning the UEFA Cup is an achievement, if Roma did nothing, but won it, I would consider that an achievement.

UEFA Cup forever :heart:

·
On Planet Z
6,520 Posts
Primo said:
4-0 Juve
0-0 Ancona
6-0 Siena
0-1 Gaziantepspor

The inconsistency is killing us.
Meh. :irritate:
At least we can knock 'em in at home, eh? :nervous:
Good thing the next leg's there.

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
Capello obviously shares my view on the UEFA Cup. He rested Samuel, Emerson(who both appeared late on though), Totti and Cassano, our key and probably most tired players.

The UEFA Cup is a highly prestigiuos cup, well worthy of winning.
I am pretty certain Capello and most of our players don't really believe in this, no matter what they say.

·
Registered
13,063 Posts
A cup is a cup is a cup. Winning one would be glorious, UEFA, Coppa Italia, some weak summer competition, any damn cup! UEFA this year has some rather prestigous clubs in it (Barca, Inter, etc.) I value it a lot. It's a solid European trophy.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Primo said:
A cup is a cup is a cup. Winning one would be glorious, UEFA, Coppa Italia, some weak summer competition, any damn cup! UEFA this year has some rather prestigous clubs in it (Barca, Inter, etc.) I value it a lot. It's a solid European trophy.
.... Which Roma can gain a lot of respect from if they were to win it

I think we will still advance unless we concede first, but I dont think we will concede in Rome!!!

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
About conceding goals in Rome, I think the key will be whether Samuel will play, if he does, I don't expect us to concede. He's obviously the key defender for us.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes we know Firenze but thats the difference... if we win it great butreally its not top priority, if a priority at all at the moment!!! Maybe if we go through to later rounds the players and coach will think differently!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts