Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

FC Steaua Bucuresti
Villarreal CF.

FC Steaua Bucuresti will come up against Spanish opposition for the 17th time when they play Villarreal CF. One encounter stands out - on 7 May 1986 in Seville, Steaua overcame FC Barcelona on penalties following a 0-0 draw after extra time to win the European Champion Clubs' Cup.

Despite that success, Spanish sides historically hold the edge over Steaua. Of the previous 16 ties, Steaua have won five, drawn three (including the 1986 final) and lost eight - scoring 15 goals and letting in 29. However, Spanish clubs have won on only two of their previous eight visits to the Romanian capital.

In the 1977/78 UEFA Cup first round, Johan Cruyff was among the scorers as Barcelona won 3-1 in Bucharest on their way to an 8-2 aggregate win. Twenty-one years later at the same stage, Valencia won 4-3 at Steaua and 3-0 at home; Romanian international Adrian Ilie scoring twice for Valencia in the tie.

This will be Steaua's third game against Spanish opposition this season. In the group stage they lost 1-0 at Athletic Club Bilbao, and in the Round of 32 gained revenge for the 1998/99 loss to Valencia by eliminating the holders. Trailing 2-0 from the first leg at the Mestalla, they won the return leg by the same score before prevailing 4-3 in a penalty shoot-out.

Valencia's exit meant Villarreal were denied a rematch of last season's semi-final against their Levante rivals and will instead face their first tie against Romanian opposition in UEFA competition. The trip to Steaua is their 17th European game this season, of which they have lost just one: the second leg of their UEFA Intertoto Cup final with Club Atlético de Madrid, although Villarreal won on penalties.

uefa.com

STATISTICS:

Dynamo Kyiv:
Uefa Cup Track Record: P6 W2 D0 L2 GF4GA3

Villarreal:
Uefa Cup Track Record: P4 W2 W2 L0 GF8 GA2

CURRENT DOMESTIC FORM:

FC Steaua Bucuresti*: WDWDW

*Last domestic action took place before the Winter break (05/12/04).

Villarreal CF: LWLWD

TIME AND VENUE:

|Uefa Cup| Thursday, 10 March 2005| 19:00 CET| Stadionul Ghencea

TV:

Romania 1

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,482 Posts
History.... according to El Fenomenos post .. is on the Iberian side ... Lets hope then history repeats it self mañana !!! :cap:

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
Is better to loose Roman in the first match, and outside looking the good part of the bad situation. Gica, does Steaua feel comfortably? confident?, and sorry my ignorance but is the team that River won against the intercontinental no?

·
Registered
70,034 Posts
Yes Fangio, this is that team. Disallowed goal unfairly to Belodedici in that game by the way ;)

Steaua is logically confident because the tournament is already a succes. To play in this round was just a dream at the beginning of the competition. They have nothing to lose and they are especially dangerous playing at home. Yeah, it would be better for Steaua to play first in Villarreal. The pitch will be in bad conditions.

It will be a hard game for both teams.

HAI STEAUA!

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
GICA said:
Yes Fangio, this is that team. Disallowed goal unfairly to Belodedici in that game by the way ;)
I was only 6 years old then and I can't remeber anything... but you perfectly know that millions of barcelonistas still have nightmares with the damn Steaua... everything was prepared for us in that EC final, but... :cry:

·
Registered
70,034 Posts
Yeah I know. I was a child too, but Barcelona won the tournament just 6 years later, and I´m sure we will win it soon too. :)
For Steaua it was historical to play that final.

At the end of the 80´s, Steaua was one of the best teams in Europe: they won the European Champions Cup, the European SuperCup and they reach the semifinals and a new final in the next seasons, always in the best European tournament. The difference? In those years the best Romanian players played in Romania. They couldn´t leave the country due to Ceaucescu´s comunist regime. So the Romanian teams, especially Steaua, were really powerful.
After the Revolution in 1989, the players went abroad, and the Romanian teams weakened. Now, there are Romanian players in all Europe and Asia. But the things are improving lately, and the actual Steaua is the proof. The best young players continue leaving the country, but with a good organization the teams can be competitives again, because the talent is still there.

PS: Bianchi dijo una vez que los equipos argentinos sobreviven lamiendose las heridas. Lo mismo se puede aplicar a los rumanos.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I thought this news might be interesting for you guys as well:

You can watch Steaua-Villarreal live on free satelite-TV in Europe, US and Canada!!!

TVR International is broadcasting the match live.

Here you find satelit coordonates:

http://tvr.ro/org/satelit/index.php

HAI STEAUA!

·
18,041 Posts
Has nothing to do with anything but I love snow!!

·
18,041 Posts
I wish I could go back to Chapelco, or Bariloche in winter some day, damn I hate to be poor...

·
18,041 Posts
where do you live Knocc, I can't remember, and take in mind, that when I think of snow is = snowboarding, chicks in tight pants, whisky, chocolate, disco, etc..

1 - 20 of 63 Posts