Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st Leg (A) 8th Apr
2nd Leg (H) 14th Apr

A very tough tie for us. PSV have some very good players and we will have to play much better than we have in recent matches if we want to stand a chance of getting through to the Semi's.

The away leg on Thursday will be very tough, PSV are likely to throw everything they have at us. We will have to play well if we want to get anything from the match.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heres the squad

Given, Harper, Caig, Hughes, Elliott, O'Brien, Bernard, Taylor, Woodgate, Bramble, Ambrose, Jenas, Dyer, Brittain, Viana, Speed, Robert, Ameobi, Bridges, Bellamy, Chopra, Shearer.

Although O'Brien is included after injury Bramble and Woody are set to continue in central defense. Jenas is back after missing the Everton match.

Its pretty much a full squad, only Bowyer who is still suspended and Griffin who has just returned from injury, but is not yet match fit are not included.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Can't say I'm a fan of Bramble's. He scores a load in Europe but he is prone to some daft, daft mistakes.

I'm saying nowt on the result. Divn't want to jinx it, like.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Final Score:

PSV 1-1 Newcastle

A pretty good defensive display from us but the tie is far from over. We were pretty lucky on a few occasions. Bramble for me was the MOTM, he was immense at the heart of the defence. Jenas and Woodgate also played very well. There weren't many opportunities for Shearer and Bellamy especially in the second half as we seemed pretty content with the 1-1 draw and the away goal.

But with Hofland, Robben and Rommedahl all likely to start for PSV at SJP it will be a very difficult match for us. Kezman was very impressive, he scored a very nice goal and came close on a couple of other occasions. Rommedahl when he came on also looked a threat.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Newcastle interest in Kezman

tribalfootball.com(unreliable) - April 8, 2004

Newcastle United have joined the race for PSV Eindhoven striker Mateja Kezman.
The Serbia & Montenegro international is also being tracked by Birmingham City and Barcelona.

Its reported that Newcastle officials have made contact with Kezman's agent, Chiel Dekker, to make him aware of their interest.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Newcastle interest in Kezman

Umarnino said:
tribalfootball.com(unreliable) - April 8, 2004

Newcastle United have joined the race for PSV Eindhoven striker Mateja Kezman.
The Serbia & Montenegro international is also being tracked by Birmingham City and Barcelona.

Its reported that Newcastle officials have made contact with Kezman's agent, Chiel Dekker, to make him aware of their interest.
Yeah I wondered how long it would take for us to get linked with Kezman, we seem to get linked with a player from each team we've played in the UEFA Cup, last time it was Eto'o this time its Kezman.

Kezman was very impressive tonight, I'd be delighted if we signed him, but I don't think the rumour has anything behind it.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reaction:

Robson:
"It was a tough match. We got off to a rickety start but we recovered well and got a goal which puts us in a nice equal position," said Robson.

"After that it was a battle but they didn't hurt us.

''We couldn't afford to play offside but we held a good line."

Shearer:
"We wanted to score an away goal and the one we got was just reward for us,'' declared Shearer.

''That away goal could be vital - it has given us a great chance of going through.

''After the first 15-20 minutes I thought we carried the most threat for the remainder of the half.

''We'll give it a good go in the second leg - and we're prepared to work hard."

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Well, a good performance from Bramble (despite being lucky to be on the pitch). Let's hope we get a more obsevant ref in the second leg. A few PSV players miss the second leg which has to work in our favour.

I have to admit the timing of our goal had me wondering if we were in for another Feyenoord match. Good result for us. Now for Arsenal...

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Hiddink's Bramble fury
sportinglife.com

PSV Eindhoven coach Guus Hiddink made no attempt to hide his disappointment in French referee Gilles Veissiere after the 1-1 draw with Newcastle in the UEFA Cup.

At the end of the first half, Newcastle defender Titus Bramble appeared to throw an elbow at midfielder Remco van der Schaaf but Veissiere did not see the incident, and although he lectured both players, he took no further action.

Soon after, van der Schaaf was punished for a foul and the resulting free-kick by Laurent Robert was headed in for an equaliser by Jermaine Jenas.

"Our Frenchy was all at sea," Hiddink said. "I found nothing wrong in the action of van der Schaaf. It was a dreadful blunder."

Bramble and Jonathan Woodgate were at the heart of the visitors' defence and generally kept the shackles on PSV's attack.

Nevertheless, Veissiere was optimistic the Dutch giants would advance to the semi-finals of the competition.

"It's a pity," he said. "We just could not set that final step. But in general PSV have played a good match. At Newcastle we might get the space to surprise them."

This is coming from the same guy who managed South Korea at the last World Cup.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Well, it's only fair considering the helping hand that South Korea got from the officials in the World Cup. van der Schaaf's incident with Bramble was a bit OTT, to be honest but it certainly warranted a red card.

It's up to UEFA, now.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think there was that much in it. It looked similar to the Shearer elbow on Cannavaro last year, but much weaker. But Bramble was foolish to react in that way and raise his arm. We'll have to see what UEFA make of it.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
PSV suffer Robben blow

PSV Eindhoven winger Arjen Robben will miss the UEFA Cup quarter-final second leg against Newcastle United after reinjuring his hamstring.

Shame that.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
In the words of Martin Tyler... it gets better and better and BETTER!

Injured PSV Trio To Miss Out

PSV Eindhoven will have to play their return UEFA Cup tie against Newcastle United this week without injured trio Arjen Robben, Theo Lucius and Kevin Hofland.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like we'll be seeing the same team they played against us in the first leg but with the inclusion of Rommedahl, who'll be a huge threat.

Hopefully Dyer will be back for us to give us a full strength line up.

We only need a 0-0 to go through but hopefully we wont sit on that.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
An early goal would do us some favours. There's no way a Newcastle side will ever settle for a stalemate. We'll have 50,000 geordies behind us which has got to be an advantage.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dyer has declared himseld fit for tonights match, however he may be saved for the Villa match on Sunday.

Heres the full squad:

Given, Harper, Hughes, Bernard, Taylor, Elliott, Woodgate, O’Brien, Bramble, Speed, Dyer, Robert, Jenas, Ambrose, Viana, Brittain, Shearer, Bellamy, Ameobi, Bridges, Chopra.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Heres the team:

Given
Hughes
Bramble
Woodgate
Bernard
Ambrose
Jenas
Speed
Robert
Shearer
Bellamy

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Final score:

Newcastle 2-1 PSV :D :) :D

Great result for us, through to th Semi's now to face Marsaille. Shearer put us in the lead with a good header from a Robert corner. Bernard then gave away a penalty that Kezman converted. But Gary Speed headed the winner from another Robert Corner.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts