Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dream draw :) Finally Brann can get revenge for our darkest chapter in Europe history. In 2002 we lost 4-6, after being down 0-3 at home in the first match before the players took the game seriously. I doubt we'll make the same mistake twice.

The first leg is played august 16th, the second august 30th.

·
Registered
16,376 Posts
Hopefully we'll get to see a Brann that takes this very seriously. I think what happened last year was even worse than your loss in 2002. It's time Norwegian football clubs make a mark in Europe again.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I disagree, cause the Suduva game started a UEFA cup ghost which we'll hopefully end now. It marked a transition period where Brann stopped being the clearest Norwegian contender to Rosenborg, both in the national league and in Europe. The Åtvidaberg game just followed in the footsteps of several mediocre European results, mainly because we focused too much on the league and it affected all our results.

But I agree, it's time for Norway to rise up and take our place in the top 15 nations again. I want to see two Norwegian clubs in the Champions League again and for us to do well in the UEFA cup :)

·
Registered
16,376 Posts
Seen from a more complex angle like that, you have a valid point. What I meant is that regardless of who Brann started the matches with, or what year it happened in, the 2006 version of Åtvidaberg (athough a vintage Åtvidaberg edition) should have no chance against Brann, and even less so than Suduva.

That is up for debate though. Åtvidaberg was in the European cup for a reason, and must have done some serious damage in the Swedish cup (lost 2-0 in the final to Djurgården), like Haugesund and Nybergsund have done in Norway this season. Åtvidaberg ended 12th in the Swedish first division last season, in a league performance comparable to that of Tromsdalen here. It's probably most fair to compare them to Haugesund since they might make it to the final of the Norwegian cup this season, and is at a similar level of being a typical first divison dweller. If Haugesund's season leads them into Europe, it would be amazing if they could beat out Odense or Hammarby next season. However, I seriously doubt it's going to happen. Both Haugesund's and Åtvidaberg's cup runs have had to have been filled with not only hard work, but a lot of luck. Yet seldom does lightning strike twice.

Suduva finished fifth in the top league and won the cup in Lithuania last season. That's perhaps not a momentous achievement, but it does make them a top team in their country.

Edit: I was a bit short of time yesterday, so I edited to make the post a bit more like I had intended it to be in the first place.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Of course, it's a disgrace to lose to Åtvidaberg, and it certainly was stupid of Brann to field such a weak team against them. But it was mostly reserves. I don't know much about how Åtvidaberg performed apart from in the Brann games, but it was their once in a lifetime chance at something big, while Brann was in their worst shape of the season.

And speaking of Nybergsund, they have a much bigger budget and better players than their position in the league warrants. Them getting into Europe through the cup wouldn't shock me, but it would of course be a surprise.

Now, I'm sure Åtvidaberg doesn't have the same financial situation as Nybergsund, so that's no excuse for how poorly Brann played against them. And this was of course not your point, but it's easy for a "big" nordic team like Brann or Odense to underestimate them because of their league position, especially if they're in the middle of an important season and are tempted to rest players.

I had never heard of Åtvidaberg before Brann drew them, I haven't really kept up on them since, so no idea if they just had a lucky run or if they were better than expected.

·
Registered
16,376 Posts
I know about Nybergsund, and indeed Haugesund is just as much an askeladd, perhaps even more so, than Nybergsund is. Yet, the media does not portray it that way.

Åtvidaberg ended in 10th place when they went to the cup final, 12 last season when they beat Brann, and are currently 4th in Superettan. Not too bad, perhaps there's an eventual promotion in their future.

Let's just hope Brann beats Suduva. I see they are challenging for the title in Lithuania now, and should probably not be underestimated. :)

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Orange said:
Let's just hope Brann beats Suduva. I see they are challenging for the title in Lithuania now, and should probably not be underestimated. :)

Somehow that doesn't scare me, but then again, we've lost to them before, so who knows. The players hopefully perform well and remember how it turned out against Åtvidaberg last year and Suduva last time we faced them.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems Helstad is out with an injury for the first leg at least. Just hope that doesn't mean Mjelde is tempted to try the daft 4-5-1 formation again. Sjøhage or Bjørnsson should just go in and try to a decent job up front along with Winters. If they want to play a striker at Brann, they'll have to be able to score against teams like Suduva.

·
Registered
215 Posts
So, Corrales, Helstad, Vaagan Moen and Opdal are ruled out. The rest better show that they deserve their pay-checks by crushing this merry band of plummers and carpenters.

Are Walde, Sjöhage and El Fakiri licenced to play now or what?

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2-1 to Brann. We had full control until the penalty situation where Suduva scored.. Seemed kinda tame and disillusioned for awhile afterwards, but should have scored more to secure the overall win. Now we have to use our best in the next game maybe.

1-0 Bjørnsson
2-0 Winters
2-1 Negreiros (pen)

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Second leg today.. Brann's fielding the following 11.

Opdal
Guntveit - Ørn1 - Ørn2 - Hanstveit
Solli - El Fakiri - Jaiteh - PVM
Winters - Bjørnsson

Bakke is resting, Andresen and Helstad are out with injuries. Hanstveit is back from his illness, which is a good thing. Guntveit was a horrible replacement last game.

I hope we can win the away game as well, we should have a better team, but we'll see.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Huseklepp should be given the chance from start in this one, Solli has had a drop in form lately. Otherwise, Bjørnsson has scored some crucial goals lately, but he is not natural goalscorer and misses too many clear cut chances. Hopefully we'll get a creative goalscorer before the window closes tomorrow. We can only hope :neutral:

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We won, despite the worst referee in the history of the UEFA cup.

3-4 away and 2-1 at home.. 6-4 to Brann total. Should have been a greater victory, but oh well..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts