Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Villarreal CF
AZ Alkmaar

Villarreal have some major defensive injury worries ahead of tonight's game with Dutch high-flyers AZ Alkmaar. Captain Quique Alvarez, Juan Manuel Pena and Javi Venta are all ruled out. With Roger Garcia, Sebastian Battaglia and Javier Calleja still abscent, youth team defenders Edu and Carlos Alcantara are set to at least start on the bench.

Diego Forlan is ineligible for the UEFA Cup, but at least Jose Mari grabbed a brace at the weekend against Bilbao and that should do his confidence a lot of good.

Roman Riquelme has highlighted the importance of coming away with a positive result; "Alkmaar are a very good side and we will have to pull out all the stops to beat them. We will be looking to gain some kind of advantage from the home leg. We have been showing consistency and that has boosted confidence levels. On the pitch, you can tell that the team knows exactly what it wants. We need to make sure we come away with something concrete to show for the great season we are having."

Alkmaar lost 4-2 at Feyenoord during the weekend, only their first Eredivisie defeat since August 21. Martijn Meerdink's long-term knee injury means he is the only absentee from their squad, otherwise they are at full strength.

This is a very tough match guys, but I still think Villarreal are too strong at home not to get a positive result in this match. It's a shame Forlan isn't playing, but Villarreal have won all 8 of their Uefa Cup home games this season without him anyway.

STATISTICS:

Villarreal CF:
Uefa Cup Track Record: P4 W2 W2 L0 GF8 GA2

Rd 32| Dynamo Kyiv 0-2 Villarreal (0-0, 0-2)
Rd 16| Steaua 0-2 Villarreal (0-0, 0-2)

AZ Alkmaar:
Uefa Cup Track Record: P6 W3 D0 L1 GF6 GA3

Rd 32| Aachen 1-2 Alkmaar (0-0, 1-2)
Rd 16| Shakhtar 2-5 Alkmaar (1-3, 1-2)

CURRENT DOMESTIC FORM:

AZ Alkmaar: DWWWL

Villarreal CF: LWDWW

TIME AND VENUE:

Uefa Cup| QF| Thursday, 7 April 2005| 20:45CET| Estadio El Madrigal

TV:

Canal Comunitat Valenciana
Canal 9
Taquilla 2

PREDICTION:

Villarreal CF 4-2 AZ Alkmaar

Riquelme
Jose Mari
Landzaat
Riquelme (pen) :D
Perez
Figueroa

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
Score is 1-1 now.

12' Landzaat
14' Riquelme

Btw goalie Timmer stopped a penalty by Riquelme :):):)

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Barcawinner said:
Score is 1-1 now.

12' Landzaat
14' Riquelme

Btw goalie Timmer stopped a penalty by Riquelme :):):)
Damn it! I knew Riquelme would get a penalty chance but he screwed it up!

Still..he's scored and so has Landzaat.

My prediction isn't looking bad so far. :D

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KnoccOut said:
hey fenomeno i think we jinxed roman with all this penalty talk :(
:depress:

I am so annoyed! Usually with Riquelme he doesn't miss from the PK spot! Oh well, he'll guide Villarreal through I am sure of it. :D

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
What a blow for Villarreal!

Still, I think they can manage to win away, hard but doable.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Pooh said:
And by the way, the ref has allowed some rugby from AZ side.
LOL !!!

No way... the Villarreal players fall too easily.
How many penalties did they want as a present? :D

·
Registered
259 Posts
You said it. AZ better breathe in the right direction in the home match, or a bunch of players might hit the grass again. Why do players of that calibre dive so much? Riquelme doesn`t need thaf.

Great match by AZ though, very professional and mature, they seemed relaxed. :D

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Two goals from two definsive mistakes for AZ. Villarreal suffered their back injuries so very much!

Still, I believe they can comeback in the away match.

Well, there was diving that's true, but there were some real hard fouls the ref did not count.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Of course they have a good chance to go to the semis. But.. it would be more difficult to score when mathijssen is fit (better than Stam in sfertjes eyes ;) ). In the hout you won't win easy. But it will be a nice game thats for sure

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
Great match, penalty should not have been given. The referree made up for it by not punishing later fouls of AZ. AZ was simply the better team this match. Riquelme and that Villarreal forward shouldn't dive so much..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts