Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The second leg of our UEFA Cup semi final and one thing is certain- the end is high. Whether we will be there in Manchster for the final is looking doubtful but I'm sure we'll give it one last push over in Florence.

We will be expecting an onslaught. After the comments in the first leg by all and sundry I'll be expecting an attacking performance from Fiorentina and we'll have to cope with that like in Bremen. Cuellar is back but we are without man of that match that night in Germany McShagger. Also doubtful is the old man Davie Weir and possibly Christian Dailly too so it's a mystery who will partner King Carlos in the absense of those two. A European semi final away from home is not the place you want to be trying out a new defensive partnership against a top Serie a side who need to score. My worry is the squad shortfalls will be highlighted again here.

In midfield we'll have Thomson back in too which should help tighten things up. We are going to need that as that is where the battle must be won.

After a quiet first leg I cannot imagine Mutu will be as anonymous again and will probably provide the key danger. Broadfoot will need plenty of help on that side of the park.

We'll set out in the 4-5-1 with the main question being who will be given the lone strike role. I think Cousin is better suited as he can hold the ball up and bring the midfield into play.

I don't hold out too much hope to be honest but that's been the case in every round. We go into this match in constrasting form. Since beating Celtic 1:0 at Ibrox we have won only 2 matches in 90 minutes over the last 8 games. One of those was away to Partick and the other was away to Sporting Lisbon.

Fiorentina lost their lead at the death at the weekend when Daniele Gastaldello stole a point for Sampdoria. That's put pressure on their current 4th place with Milan now only 2 points behind. They do though face an easy trip away to Cagliari after this while Milan must win the derby.

Let's hope we can do one last miracle on the road. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Well, I can only imagine that the whole of Scotland will be backing Rangers on this one!

Certainly it could well become a very tactical game given the importance.

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
No do not think there will be many Celtic fans with that opinion!:thmbdown:
So you lot don't root for each other in Europe? :smileani:

I'll probably find the answer along this very thread eventually I guess.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Well, I can only imagine that the whole of Scotland will be backing Rangers on this one!
Good one, Diav :dielaugh:

It'll be a miracle if we get through this one. From all they're talking in the media it sounds like the Fiorentina players think they're already in the final, which is a positive. My biggest concern isn't our injuries or the number of games we've played. It's Neil Alexander.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
No chance, personally I like to see all Scottish teams do well, even Celtic on occasion! but thats just the way it is:thumbsup:

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Good one, Diav :dielaugh:
;)

It'll be a miracle if we get through this one. From all they're talking in the media it sounds like the Fiorentina players think they're already in the final, which is a positive. My biggest concern isn't our injuries or the number of games we've played. It's Neil Alexander
I doubt Fiorentina players being over confident. Probably the traslation of interviews was twisted a bit.
Great game ahead :cool:

P.S. Can't wait to read comments from the other side of the Old Firm too :hopeful:

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
lol @ big Amo. On STV news he's saying he thinks Fiorentina will qualify. On BBC news he's tipping Rangers. Must have been at the old Baileys again :D

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
No chance, personally I like to see all Scottish teams do well, even Celtic on occasion! but thats just the way it is:thumbsup:
In particular, which occasions are you talking about?
Summer friendlies perhaps :smileani:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
In particular, which occasions are you talking about?
Summer friendlies perhaps :smileani:
Well on their run to the final in 2003, I wanted to see them do well, but when it came to winning it NO WAY! I would not be able to cope with that.

I wish them all the best on their friendly tour of Japan in the summer:strong:

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
;)P.S. Can't wait to read comments from the other side of the Old Firm too :hopeful:
I think if you stop by the Fiorentina forum before and after the game you'll see the usual comments.

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Well on their run to the final in 2003, I wanted to see them do well, but when it came to winning it NO WAY! I would not be able to cope with that.

I wish them all the best on their friendly tour of Japan in the summer:strong:
;)

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
I think if you stop by the Fiorentina forum before and after the game you'll see the usual comments.
Last one cause I must go.
Bets on the game :smileani:

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Last one cause I must go.
Bets on the game :smileani:
Well i've officially given up gambling, but I might put something on Fiorentina to try and jinx them. It's worked in every round so far! :D

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
We're going to be up against it and need everyone to perform to their best ability and then have a wee bit of luck as well. Feeling the nerves already :nervous:

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Well i've officially given up gambling, but I might put something on Fiorentina to try and jinx them. It's worked in every round so far! :D
:eek: :wth: :eek:

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Davie Weir has a chance of playing according to Walter. I know Walter's not daft, but there's no way i'd play him if there was a chance of aggravating the injury. Winning the SPL is still more important imo.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts