Xtratime Community banner

UEFA Cup: Everton (2) 2-0 (2) Fiorentina (Fiorentina win 4-2 on penalties)

6K views 262 replies 55 participants last post by  NickyTheHeel 
#1 ·
Here are players called up for the match, Avramov, Cacia, Dainelli, Donadel, Frey, Gamberini, Gobbi, Jorgensen, Kroldrup, Kuzmanovic, Lupatelli, Montolivo, Osvaldo, Pasqual, Pazzini, Potenza, Santana, Ujfalusi, Vieri.

So still no Liverani, nor Semioli. Probably Osvaldo with start, alongside with Bobo?

#3 ·
After the defeat in Serie A, I am quite wary. Our finishing must improve if we were to really secure the tie by scoring the away goal.

Everton also won against Sunderland, which is a morale boost in itself. I hope our adventure in Europe continues.

I'll be watching this match on the telly (can't remember the last time I watched a Viola match on TV...last one I remembered wanting to watch was the one cancelled because of the wind in Cagliari, and I missed that one).

#5 ·
We've got severe weather warnings in the North West of the UK this morning for gale force winds. I'm currently sat about 35 miles from Goodison and the wind is ridiculous. Just a warning.....if this keeps up the game could be called off tonight for spectator safety.
Especially with the long ball game of everton.

#9 ·
He isn't in any good form lately, but it'd allow us to play Jorgensen in the midfield.

I guess I'd like us to play like this:
Frey
Ujfalusi, Dainelli, Gamberini, Pasqual
Kuzmanovic, Jorgensen, Donadel
Santana, Vieri, Osvaldo

Only one I'm unsure about is Donadel / Montolivo, but the first one is more leader and hard worker, which right at this game and this situation can be very useful.

#10 ·
Donadel should be better to kill the game and ruin their wish to score goals and this what we need today.

#11 ·
ITV4 Live.
Reporters are f*****g fans of Everton :doh:

#12 · (Edited)
Match just kicked -off, good luck guys.

Great atmosphere at Everton, I expect them to come out firing but I still believe you have enough quality to beat them away.

#13 ·
1-0 Everton

Really soft goal, Fiorentina defenders standing and watching.

Frey was pissed, and rightly so.

#14 ·
Oh no :(

#15 ·
Our defence is a joke at the minute, making that fat bald prick Johnson look like a footballing god :(

Prandelli looking the shit as usual though :D

Yellow for Dainelli, hopefully he is subbed or sent off soon. His defensive "ability" seems to be affecting the others.

#34 ·
Frey's mistake imo
It was good cross and his view was blocked "well" by our defenders.

Seems that Pazzigol is coming in :)

#17 ·
Crowd is their 12th player and we are playing with 10 players as Vieri is on pitch :(
Our chance is counter-attacks but what counters we are doing with player who can run 10 metres maximum :(

#25 ·
Montolivo is the one who's been absolutely woeful in the first half, nothing is working for him and that shooting from 40 meters range isn't going to get Viola anywhere. His passing has been really poor and Fiorentina loses the ball way too often in their build-up because they face some pressure, Montolivo is obviously affected by the importance of this game.

Composure is needed at Fiorentinas defence and midfield, the only guy who's playing with some calmness seems to be Kuz.

Everton has a clear tactic, they throw those long balls on their attackers who wins in the air and flicks the ball through to a player who comes with speed, then they use their pace and create something from that.

Nothing is lost yet but Vieri really has to come together and start showing why he plays for Fiorentina but I don't see that happening. The only right thing would be to bring in a faster player who can take advantage of Montolivos and Kuzmanovics through balls, so far they haven't had many options. The movement offensively has been terrible.

#28 ·
I think you're dead on. Our midfield has been giving the ball away like it's Christmas and much of that falls on Montolivo. Regardless, we look suspect at the back, Vieri is jogging around out there, and we're nervy beyond expectations. Goodison park is loud, intimidating, and for some reason we can't handle it.

4-4-2 anyone? Pazzini for Vieri?

#26 ·
I saw the final fifteen minutes of the half and later the goal, let's just say Frey made amends for his mistake by keeping you in the game. The ITV commentator kept calling Jogensen "Jensen'. :D

#31 ·
I saw the final fifteen minutes of the half and later the goal, let's just say Frey made amends for his mistake by keeping you in the game. The ITV commentator kept calling Jogensen "Jensen'. :D
"Jensen with a volley!" :howler: Stupid english commentary..

Pazzini needs to come on because even though he was rubbish this weekend, he'll add some speed and movement to Fiorentinas game. Prandellis initial thought was probably that they would be playing long balls on Vieri who could hold on to them and then distribute it to the flanks, that way they fill up with some midfielders into the box.

Hasn't turned out to be that way though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.