Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UEFA Cup and CL Qualifying Draw

The draw for the qualifying rounds of the 2002/2003 CL and UEFA Cup will be held tomorrow in Geneva, with Maccabi Haifa (CL), Maccabi Tel Aviv and Hapoel Tel Aviv representing Israel. I don't expect neither to do as good as Hapoel Tel Aviv last season mainly because of 2 reasons: 1) The fact we'll probably have to host our 'home' games in Cyprus until who knows when; 2) All 3 clubs have been going through some cuts in their budgets and although they managed to keep most of their stars, their squads are no better (if not weaker) then last season.

Anyways, let's start off with the UEFA Cup draw. The seeding was done today and Hapoel Tel Aviv are in group 2:

2 Hapoel Tel-Aviv (ISR) 26.666
26 FC Lugano (SUI) 11.312
30 NK Primorje (SLO) 8.916
33 FC Midtjylland (DEN) 8.687

47 FK Ventspils (LAT) 3.582
59 FK Pobeda (MKD)* 1.498
67 FC Zvartnots AAL (ARM)** 0.666
74 KS Partizani (ALB) 0.582

Bear in mind they cannot face teams in bold, hence, either a Latvian, a Macedonian, an Armenian or an Albanian side will be their qualifying round opponent this year. Unlike previous years, Hapoel Tel Aviv will be seeded in the next round as well should they make it thanks to their achievements from last season which guarantees them to avoid opponents like Chelsea for instance.

Now onto Maccabi's group:

11 Maccabi Tel-Aviv (ISR)* 15.666
16 Leix?es SC (POR)** 14.124
23 Stab?k IF (NOR) 12.737
39 Anorthosis Famagusta FC (CYP)* 7.666

60 FK Belasica GC (MKD) 1.498
64 FC Levadia Tallinn (EST)* 0.832
71 Linfield FC (NIR)* 0.665
78 CS Grevenmacher (LUX) 0.416

Yet another relatively easy group, with potential opponents from Macedonia, Estonia, Northern Ireland and Luxemburg...

Regarding the CL qualifying draw, we will be smarter after tomorrow when they draw the first round games (Maccabi Haifa enters the competition in the second qualifying round), so their opponent will be one of the 10 winners of the first qualifying round or one of the unseeded teams in the second round which includes tough opponnets like Swedish Hammarby or Dinamo Bucharest of Romania. Full list can be found right here:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/seedcl2002.html

Hapoel and Maccabi Tel Aviv will play on August 15th and 29th while Maccabi Haifa will play on July 31th and August 7th.

Questions? Thoughts? :)

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Im pretty angry that there is a status quo on the games that will be in Israel, because its sad that we can not host the games in Israel, but this will be dealt with sooner later hopefully...

As for my thoughts, im pretty proud that after 82 teams that are seeded in the UEFA cup, Israel's 2 only teams that will participate are seeded in 11 (Macabbi Tel Aviv!) and 2 (Hapoel Tel Aviv) which is good.........

I just hope that the draw will be fair and i wish all the teams good luck and my unconditional support for them!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Although Haifa is not inferior to any team they could face, the opponents of Hungary, Sweden, Romania and Cyprus are tricky so I would not want to face them.

Maccabi Tel Aviv should hope for the Estonians and Hapoel for the Armenians since they've played 2 Armenian rivals in the last 3 seasons so they know the Armenian league well.

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, comfortable draws for all 3 teams (as expected...)

Maccabi Haifa will play the winner between Portadown of Northern Ireland and FC Belshina Bobruisk of Belarus. Both teams have won the league in their country last year, feel free to add information. ;)

Hapoel Tel Aviv is up against KS Partizani of Albania, the first leg will be played in Cyprus (or Israel...), and Maccabi Tel Aviv will start away to Estonian FC Levadia Tallinn.

No disrespect to anyone but all 3 teams should make the next round, and there the real action begins (at least for Maccabi Tel Aviv and Maccabi Haifa).

Behatzlaha Lekulam and Yalla Israeli teams in Europe!

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I don't know about other Israeli teams but Maccabi Tel Aviv's qualification is assured :howler:. I just have such a feeling...:mute:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
The 3 draws were pretty good and i feel that all 3 teams have the potential to score and ease threw the others rounds.

Hopefully we will have a repeat of what happened last year, especially with Hapoel...But outlook not so good, because I feel Hapoel got depleted and Maccabi, is who knows and as for Mac. Haifa, I think they cut back a little.

So in easy terms...

Are we taking the UEFA seriously?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would say we do, especially after last season...if Hapoel proved they can reach the UEFA Cup quarterfinals than why not ? and mind you Hapoel is not our best team.

I dont think that playing home games away from home (see my new thread) is that crucial in this stages, it will be however, if they still cant host in Israel when the big names are involved in the draw. :fero: :groan: :groan:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I just hope it won't affect us.

I just think that the crucial things that hapoel needed (like home advantage and players) is not there anymore.

They need more things to have now?

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Hapoel's request of holding the two games within 3 days in Albania was denied :mad:

If you dont let us host at home at least agree to our request to save costs:mad: :mad:

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
Well with all the respect I believe that the 3 teams will go through.
The problem comes when they face stronger teams being denied to play in Israel.
Do not forget that Bloomfield Stadium had a very important role in Hapoel Tel-Aviv's campaign last season.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
The only thing that the Stadium in Bloomfeild gave them was in the Lokomotiv game..

Since they came back to Russia it was blistering cold. I think they would have gotten killed by the winter.

Nonetheless, you add up that Hapoel got every game played first in there stadium and then there opponents than that is good!!!

So hopefully i hope there will be no problem :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Some statistic :)

games against teams from Estonia, Northern Ireland, Belarus and Albania that I can think of:

Hapoel Be'er Sheva played with Tirana quite a few years ago and won on aggregate.

Hapoel Petah Tikva beaten Flora Talin 3:0 on aggregate I think

Maccabi Haifa beaten Glentorran 1:0 and 2:1 on their PSG season

Maccabi Haifa also played Mozyr of Belarus 2 years ago, 1:1 away and 0:0 home, and they were through only to lose to Vitesse Arnhem.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
All teams should go through with not too many problems, of course the non-home game gives advantage to the rival, still no team should fail to go through (and maybe, just maybe, Ashdod will join them in the 1st round of UEFA Cup).

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
why, maccabi haifa beat weak Glentoran only by 2 penalties. you cand draw 0:0 at home and 1:1 away and you're off to the next round.

The Estonian team agreed to come only if the situation doesn't become worse and Maccabi pays their trip, Albanians not sure, Northern Irish agreed and Belarussian's vise president says they refuse.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts