what do you expect after 20 years without losing an European match in San Mames

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
Not necessarily a, say, 5-0........

·
4,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Athletic was playing very well, and Austria was suposed to be a weak team, so the people put thouse scores

what happened is that Athletic played bad and Austria isn't as weak as we thought, so we lose the match

in the betting houses an Austria win was payed 6:1

·
Registered
542 Posts
Alexx said:
Not necessarily a, say, 5-0........
That's just me being too optimistic... Congrats Austria Magna!!

I'm disappointed, of course, but not too much. Reasons:

I think many people underestimated our opponents, some even lost respect for them. It looked like we had won the round before we even played it. All the credit to Austria Magna.

We're a young team, short of players, with little (or no) experience in this kind of battles (unlike Austria), that thought we could win everything. San Mames is the Cathedral, not heaven. This was a first and hopefully a promising step towards greater things.

As Iraola said, the defeat will make us land. We must improve that terrible defense of ours, with which we won't go far in any competition.

I also think yesterday we saw the tiredness show up. That's why I'm not too disappointed. It's very difficult to win the UEFA Cup with so few players. We've got a much better chance of winning the Spanish Cup, if only because we're in the semifinals already. Let's go step by step, shall we??

Finally, if we had played against Getafe last night and actually won it, we would be now 3 points away from Champions League place, and 4 behind the 3rd! So saving the effort of playing in Europe, we could be aiming for heaven next year (that's the optimistic me again!!)

As I said, zorionak Austria Magna!! Alles Gute und ich hoffe wir sehen uns wieder bald fuer die Rache...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts