Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We need a thread since the draw is tomorrow, the final would be in Italy, Rome

Teams

This year CL is very strong, very likely we could end up a strong group. Worst case scenario:
Inter
Bayern
Celtic
Fener

Best case scenario:
Inter
Sporting
Steaua B
CFR Cluj

Dates:
16-17 Sep 2008; Group stage, Matchday 1
30 Sep-1 Oct 2008; Group stage, Matchday 2
21-22 Oct 2008; Group stage, Matchday 3
04-05 Nov 2008; Group stage, Matchday 4
25-26 Nov 2008; Group stage, Matchday 5
09-10 Dec 2008; Group stage, Matchday 6

19 December 2008; Draw for First knockout round

17-18 Feb 2009; First knockout round, 1st leg
03-04 Mar 2009; First knockout round, 2nd leg

20 Mar 2009; Draw for Quarter-Finals and Semi-Finals

07-08 Apr 2009; Quarter-finals, 1st leg
14-15 Apr 2009; Quarter-finals, 2nd leg
28-29 Apr 2009; Semi-finals, 1st leg
05-06 May 2009; Semi-finals, 2nd leg

27-May 2009; Final in Rome, Italy

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Personally a strong run and less humiliating loss (ala L'pool, Valencia and Villareal) would be satisfying. Since the final is in Italy I would love if we can make it into the finals but I doubt it, it takes some time getting used to Mourinho's style and the players to properly understand his thinking. So next year is my best hope for CL glory, thats when the Mourinho's effect come into play hopefully.

My favourites for CL are the winners Man U, Chelsea, Barca, Madrid and Bayern who are stronger then us IMO. Liverpool as normal would last until the latter stages so I won't rule them out regardless their inferior squad to us.
Personally a strong run and less humiliating loss (ala L'pool, Valencia and Villareal) would be satisfying. Since the final is in Italy I would love if we can make it into the finals but I doubt it, it takes some time getting used to Mourinho's style and the players to properly understand his thinking. So next is my best hope for CL glory, thats when the Mourinho's effect come into play hopefully.

My favourites for CL are the winners Man U, Chelsea, Barca, Madrid and Bayern who are stronger then us IMO. Liverpool will be as normal last until the latter stages so I won't rule them out regardless their inferior squad to us.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
We will probably get something in the middle...not too strong and not too easy...that is always the case;

Inter
Villareal
Zenit
Anderlecht

I always go back to the 2002 team...anything is possible,that unbalanced team could have won it...hopefully since Mancio's chokejobs are a thing of the past...this year might just be the one...

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Masale, I don't see AC Milan. Which pot are they in?

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
I want Bayern from the second group. They absolutely suck.

·
Registered
62,637 Posts
Give me Villarreal - revenge. :fero: :boxing: This time Wome :stress: won't be there to gift them a goal out of the blue and Veron won't be there to get into squabbles with his marker and leave him open. :groan:

I'd fancy Panathinaikos too. Karagounis :proud: currently plays for them and we haven't faced a Greek side in a while.

From the 4th pot: hmm.. no real preferences.

The draw will be held at 18:00 CET, btw.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
I wish we could play Italian teams in the first round..give me Roma, Juve, and Fiorentina and let's knock em boys out!

·
Registered
62,637 Posts
We will probably get something in the middle...not too strong and not too easy...that is always the case;

Inter
Villareal
Zenit
Anderlecht

I always go back to the 2002 team...anything is possible,that unbalanced team could have won it...hopefully since Mancio's chokejobs are a thing of the past...this year might just be the one...
They exited early on.

·
Registered
11,657 Posts
I only want Villareal, going out to them was the only year I thought we had a good chance of making the final as that year Arsenal werent all that great even though they were unlucky not to end up winning it and I was so pissed off its unreal.

Its vital we finish 1st in the group so as to avoid the big guns in pot 1 in the following stage.

The CL is the stage I want something different from Mourinho he better at least deliver a big scalp from the pot 1 group, Lyon dont count for me, they are not as good as they were 2 years ago.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Atletico routed Schalke to advance. Makes it difficult for us because we suck against Spanish teams, but we're awesome against other continental European teams.

Liverpool in ET. They might flop like we did a few years back. ;D

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
who is watching the liverpool game?

·
Registered
24,267 Posts
Screw Liverpool! :finger:

Lucky bastards... :groan:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
wow...kuyt scored on the 118th minute...

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I'd like to get Villareal or Atletico, or both. It'd be good to get some practice against Spanish teams while still in the group stages.

Not too concerned about EPL teams, once we get to knockout rounds, now that our coach knows something about the EPL.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts