Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UEFA approves home-grown quotas

TALLINN, April 21 (Reuters) - Clubs taking part in European club competitions must include eight home-grown players in their 25-man squads by the start of the 2008-09 season following a landmark decision taken at UEFA's annual congress on Thursday.
The new rule will come into force at the start of the 2006-07 season with four home-grown players in the squads for Champions League and UEFA Cup matches, rising to six in 2007-08 and eight the season after.

The ruling does not apply to domestic competitions, although UEFA is encouraging its members to adopt the rule in their own competitions too.

The home-grown rule was the major decision approved by UEFA's 52 member nations, although the congress also agreed to defer the election for the next president of UEFA and other executive committee elections until 2007 to bring UEFA into line with FIFA and most of the other confederations.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=331301&cc=3436
-------
this would impact us quiet badly i think.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
rapid said:
team that would be most affected are probably the top 3 italian teams
Not Milan. Ambro , Gattuso , Pirlo , Brochi , Maldini , Pippo , Billy , Nesta. 8 already

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
you are the last club to worry about this, in fact you are the last club to worry about anything, apart from your owners death. :D

·
Sheperdesque
21,256 Posts
i think this will be great for football all over the world :thumbsup:
good move UEFA

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Terak said:
Not Milan. Ambro , Gattuso , Pirlo , Brochi , Maldini , Pippo , Billy , Nesta. 8 already
when this takes effect maldini would probably be gone, him billy , abbiati and ambro. pippo already seems like he isnt part of milan

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
umm gattuso wasnt home grown by milan...?

·
THE
14,147 Posts
Gattuso is from Calabria, not sure if he's home-grown.
Basically I think it's sucks. Not sure if it's gonna improve football quality, I fear it's vice versa. But we'll see in about 10 years.

·
Sheperdesque
21,256 Posts
Well it will definitely reduce the rediculous amounts of money some players receive nowadays and it will make it a more level playing field right around Europe.

·
THE
14,147 Posts
How come? I see it totally differently. Not this season but when it's 4+4, then few home-grown players say that hey, you need me to fill your quata, so you better pay me big. Nothing to do with his talent or abilitis or results, just his back-round. Kills the market.

·
Sheperdesque
21,256 Posts
I really don't think that home grown players will control what they earn, they wont have much choice to reject what they're offered as their options of being snapped up by big clubs will dwindle (everyone will have to adhere to these rules). I can't wait for the day Chelsea has 8 homegrown, home schooled boys playing their trade alongside a few imports we manage to luir our way. I personally don't want so see a Chelsea, Manure, Arse fight every year and this new rule will ensure that success will not be based on the wealth you have but on the talent you harvest.

What happens to any half decent player that pops up in Everton, Brescia, Lille, Dynamo Kiev, Ajax, Austria, Partizan and so on? They get bought by the likes on Juve, Milan, Madrid, Barca Chelsea, Man U and Bayern to ensure their long legacies continue while the clubs that made these boys what they are depend on the money they sold him for to survive another season. Alkmaar is on fire this season but who's gonna bet with me that they'll strugle next year after their players are snapped up by bigger clubs? Something had to be done and i see this as a workable long term solution.

And anyway, football doesn't have to be all about or even depend on the market... wouldn't it be better if the market depended on the football? What i mean by this is, it would be better if the quality of football didn't depend on how much money a club has but the money depended on the quality of players you had.

that's my 2 cents for the day :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Most clubs will just use 5 selection players from youth squad or reserves. I dont think many teams use more then 20 players in Uefa or CL over the whole tournment.

·
THE
14,147 Posts
I fail to see any logic in this. This is done why excatly then? To help small clubs? To help football? Or why?

Big clubs will fill this rule, don't worry about that. Home-grown players will be in club because they are homegrown players not because they are talented. They will not play anyway, they can't develope. so, where the profit for homegrown players?
You think that smaller clubs will have big success now? Of course not. Every now and then some smaller club can win something or some smaller nation can win EC or WC. Always had and always will. But it won't be a pattern. You can't sell a player anymore, you can't get money from him, therefor you can't develope your own club nor you can't develope your NT.

I think big clubs eventually figured it out and therefor they allowed it. It benefits them big time.

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
As much as I dislike teams that fields only foreigners (Arsenal, Inter, Chelsea some years ago) this new rule isn't what It takes to stop it. Firstly it isn't Uefa's business to decide what clubs can do or not, Football is all about business anyway. Secondly, the new rule that sais that 2 players must be home grown and 2 from the same nations (quote doubled in 2008 I think) Will not make much of a diffrence. Chelsea for example, have plenty of english players and they have atleast Terry that is home grown and I'm sure that they could easily pick up some youngster from the academy into the first squad if needed. He could just be registred but never play. The rules that mentions "home grown" are quite vague too, players that played in the youth team for 3 years could be regarded as "Home grown" aswell, which actually isn't accurate, Say Chelsea buys a young Nigerian at 15 and when he's 18 he's considered home grown. Atleast that's what I heard. Overall these new regulations will make little sense.

·
THE
14,147 Posts
Well, they are all forgeiners to me, so I just can't relate to it.

Nicky, it is Arsenal, who already does so. We, weirdly enought, have Scandies, Eidur and Mikael.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
that's true nick, by the time of 2008 when the rules are applied to the maximum then Arsenal can count Aliadiere, Quincy , Fabregas and Lupoli as 4 homegrowns. :googly:

the other 4 will have to be proper home growns that are proper Brits, Cole, Bentley, Smith and Hoyte who are all Internationals, u-20s or u-21s at present.

this would leave 17 spots for foreigners.

the only clubs it will affect are team that have huge squads, it won't be a problem at all for anyone as long as they plan properly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts