Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 485 Posts

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Juventus FC.
Real Madrid CF

Real Madrid will receive a triple injury boost ahead of their vital Uefa Champions League 2nd leg game with Juventus FC with superstars Raúl González, Zinedine Zidane and Michael Owen all set to be activated from the treatment room.

Juventus come into this game on the back of a highly controversial 1-2 win at AS Roma in the Italian capital this Saturday night.

Juventus FC midfielder Pavel Nedved is out of this match due to a head injury sustained during the 1st leg encounter at the Bernabeu.

Manuele Blasi is suspended.

Real Madrid have visited Italy 22 times (W5 D4 L13), although three of those five wins have come in our last five trips.

TACTICAL BREAKDOWN:

Juventus FC XI (probable):
Coach: Fabio Capello
Formation: 4-4-2 >>> 4-3-3.

----------------Buffon----------------
Zebina-Thuram-Cannavaro-Zambrotta--
Camoranesi-Emerson-Tacchinardi ------
---------------------------Del Piero---
--------Ibrahimovic-Trezeguet---------

Real Madrid CF XI (probable).
Coach: Vanderlei Luxemburgo.
Formation: 4-3-1-2.

-------------Casillas-----------
Bravo-Samuel-Helguera-Carlos--
--Beckham-Gravesen-Zidane---
--------------Figo-------------
-----Ronaldo--------Raul-------

KEY TO THIS GAME:

*Defensive solidarity: Juventus need goals, so I am sure Capello will play with an attack-minded 4-4-2 formation (although on the pitch that will translate to 4-3-3 with Del Piero often operating behind Trezeguet and Ibrahimovic). Make no mistake, Juventus will play man-to-man coverage . We can not afford to give away cheap free-kicks around the penalty area. Zlatan and Trezeguet are both very dangerous in the air and I just know that we could be vulnerable from set-pieces.

*Discipline: Gravesen is highly competitive, but he won't get away in European competition the kind of tackles he gets away with in la liga. He has to be very careful because the Juventus players will go down at every opportunity.

*Casillas, Zidane and Ronaldo: Casillas will be tested more than he was in Madrid, but I have no doubt he will show the World why he is the best goalkeeper on the planet by emerging victorious from his battle with Buffon. Zidane was simply awesome in the first leg in Madrid, and I am sure he will be extremely motivated against his former team and will want to exercise the ghosts of our 3-1 defeat in Turin two years ago. Ronaldo played very well against Valencia, and must keep up the hard work.

*Raul's leadership:

Since Vanderlei Luxemburgo took charge at Madrid (LFP and UCL):

With Raul starting: P8 W8 D0 L0.
Without Raul starting: P4 W1 D1 L2.

Call him out of form, out of flavour, whatever you want, but there is no doubt Real Madrid play with fighting spirit when our beloved captain is on the field. You take this player out of RM, and we don't play with even half a heart. I expect Raul to inject the much-needed energy and determination that we've lacked in our last few games.

*Possession football: The Della Empty (thanks La Blanca :D) is usually hardly full but will obviously be packed on Wednesday night. The only way to stop the fans from getting into the game which will support our concentration is to keep possession of the ball. Juventus can't match our technical ability, which was so joyfully evident at the Bernabeu a fortnight ago. We absolutely must take advantage of this area again.

CURRENT DOMESTIC FORM:

Juventus FC: LWDWW

Real Madrid CF: WWLLD

TIME AND VENUE:

|Uefa Champions League| Round 16| 2nd leg|

|Wednesday| 9th March 2005| 20:45 CET| Stadio Delle Alpi.

TV:

ART Sport
Premiere Sport 1
Canal+ (Spain)
Sky Sports 2
SF-2

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
Well, now that the "5 most important games strike" is over (osa, bilbao, depor, betis and valencia), i think most people here understand that this current team has no chance of winning a league tournament (well beside the kids...), so now we got the real deal.
The CL.
The only competition we have a slight chance of winning.
i think game will be decide on what line up luxa will show up for this game.
El Fenómeno. said:
Zidane was simply awesome in the first leg in Madrid, and I am sure he will be extremely motivated against his former team and will want to exercise the ghosts of our 3-1 defeat in Turin two years ago.
I completely disagree with this statement. Playing tricks and all those turns and flips is not what one us that game. I think zidan game was and still is very slowing and damaging for this team. Further more, zidan has not play in good level for long time, now, after coming back from injury and not playing 3 games, I just don’t expect him to show up big.
IMHO, it is a mistake to play him and I’ll play solari instead of him. Now I know some people are saying he (Solari) is much more effective coming from the bench, while I disagree with that, I still think he will contribute to the game much more then zidan.
We also don’t have salgado, which pretty much closed down our options on the right side since figo is now playing a more center role in the team. Bravo and beckham are just not good enough and I’m sure most of the attacks will come from the juve left side. If I had to choose I’d bench beckham and put either guti, solari or juan fran.

El Fenómeno. said:
Since Vanderlei Luxemburgo took charge at Madrid (LFP and UCL):

With Raul starting: P8 W8 D0 L0.
Without Raul starting: P4 W1 D1 L2.

Call him out of form, out of flavour, whatever you want, but there is no doubt Real Madrid play with fighting spirit when our beloved captain is on the field. You take this player out of RM, and we don't play with even half a heart.
Well, you can argue with numbers. I was “shouting” to bench him and I still think he is not playing in a good level, but I guess his mental factor for this team is important, so I guess starting him is a good option.

Regarding the key players, they come from the two ends of our team. Casillas and Ronaldo.
Casillas will be very busy on Wednesday night and we need him at 120% to keep us in this competition. He is the most important player of real Madrid this season (which says a lot about the team).
Ronaldo, who played much better against Valencia, has, IMO, his last chance of standing up and showing that he is still the best striker in the world (on form). A bad game for him with us not advancing and I think it is pretty sure we will not see him next season in real Madrid.

As for our chances to advance, well now with iker back, we have 40% chance to advance.
You can call me pessimistic or realistic but that’s my thoughts.
I expect juve to pressure from the beginning (although they don’t have nedved), and I expect them to score first also. The rest is up to real Madrid players, if they can squeeze in one goal, we will have a good chance of surviving the rest of the game while being attacked all the time by juve. All this talks about controlling the ball and game is all bullshit, it is good to write it, but we don’t have the manpower to do it on the pitch. In the end, it is a constant attack on our goal.

My formation:
--------iker-------
bravo--hel---sam-RC
---guti---gravy----
figo-----------solari
------raul----------
------ronaldo-------

HALA MADRID!!!!!!!

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sagyv said:
a) I completely disagree with this statement. Playing tricks and all those turns and flips is not what one us that game. I think zidan game was and still is very slowing and damaging for this team. Further more, zidan has not play in good level for long time, now, after coming back from injury and not playing 3 games, I just don’t expect him to show up big.
IMHO, it is a mistake to play him and I’ll play solari instead of him.

b) As for our chances to advance, well now with iker back, we have 40% chance to advance.

HALA MADRID!!!!!!!
a) So if Zidane wasn't awesome against Juve, what was he? Average? Pretty much everybody on XT agreed he was the man who ran the show! It wasn't just fancy flicks and party tricks, the man actually put in some defense-splitting balls and was a constant threat! Play Solari ahead of Zidane in a UCL game? :eek:

b) Again, very harsh. Dude, we are going into this game with a 1-0 advantage and are facing Juventus who have not scored more than one goal all season in Europe. How do we only have a 40% chance of going through, exactly? I respect your opinion sagyv, but I strongly disagree with it. I would say we have a 75% chance of going through considering the fact we will probably score which means Juventus will need three goals to progress!

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
El Fenómeno. said:
a) So if Zidane wasn't awesome against Juve, what was he? Average? Pretty much everybody on XT agreed he was the man who ran the show! It wasn't just fancy flicks and party tricks, the man actually put in some defense-splitting balls and was a constant threat! Play Solari ahead of Zidane in a UCL game? :eek:

b) Again, very harsh. Dude, we are going into this game with a 1-0 advantage and are facing Juventus who have not scored more than one goal all season in Europe. How do we only have a 40% chance of going through, exactly? I respect your opinion sagyv, but I strongly disagree with it. I would say we have a 75% chance of going through considering the fact we will probably score which means Juventus will need three goals to progress!
a) well, each person in XT is entitle to his own opinion and still i doubt most people thought he was our best player. the score said it all, flicks and magic, but just one goal from a setpiece. i'm sorry, but i had enough of waiting from our players to "show up", let's have some consistency, something zidan lacks greatly in the last year or two. So yes, solari ahead of zidan.
b) i wrote the game plan as i think it will be, juve will pressure us from their left side from the begining and they will score first. forget about us controlling the game in torin, please don't be naive, they might not have the "brain" of nedved in the game, but they have a much more powerful midfield then ours in terms of controling the game pace. i doubt we will control the game. i hope i'm wrong, but once juve score first, the pressure will be on our side. capello will have no problem in taking the game into a penalties shoot out.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sagyv said:
forget about us controlling the game in torin, please don't be naive, they might not have the "brain" of nedved in the game, but they have a much more powerful midfield then ours in terms of controling the game pace. i doubt we will control the game.
Only problem is, this is exactly what you said ahead of the first leg.

And we all know how that turned out.

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
El Fenómeno. said:
How do we only have a 40% chance of going through, exactly? I respect your opinion sagyv, but I strongly disagree with it. I would say we have a 75% chance of going through considering the fact we will probably score which means Juventus will need three goals to progress!
Exactly. We have to score just one (and i'm sure we will) and Juve will have to score 3, what's not likely.
I don't take the match as won already, but our chances are for sure much better than Juve's. Question is, can we take advantage of that.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Beckham is a Real injury doubt

ENGLAND captain David Beckham believes he could be doubtful for Real Madrid’s decisive Champions League clash against Juventus.

Beckham was substituted in the second half of his side’s 1-1 draw in Valencia which saw Barcelona, 1-0 victors over Osasuna, increase their lead over the Galacticos at the top of La Liga to eight points.

"Today I woke up and I could feel my back," said Beckham. " I didn’t have full movement before the game started. We’ll have to see how it is tomorrow and take it from there."

Barcelona, too, have injury problems ahead of their visit to Chelsea, with midfielder Rafael Marquez suffering a muscle strain in his right leg

sport.scotsman.com

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Yeah!!

Let's hope Beckham can't play!

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Zidane, Casillas, Figo and Gravesen were our best players in the first leg.

They, along with Ronaldo, will need to be on top form if we want to survive Turin and move onto the next round.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
should be interesting. Juventus will be without 2 starting players in Nedved and Blasi. Nedved obviously the more serious as he is the key for juve. But has missed him for two games now and with del piero behind the forwards, it seems we are at least showing better form in terms of attacking.

I personally dont see juve going through. not scoring an away goal will do no favours at all. When you have the stars that Real do, its almost certain a goal will be scored in Turin. And i believe thats all you will need in the end, just an away goal.

I just hope that Del Piero, Zlatan and Trezeguet link up well and make it a better game than the last one. If juve go out, at least make it a good game for everyone to watch as such.

btw, i also thought zidane had a good game in the first leg.

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
Call me stupid, but I would really hope Beckham makes it! He has enough experience in the CL and we need his free-kicks and the winning formula in the first leg, his corners!

I'm really worried about playing Raul and Zidane as both havn't played for about 3 games and the thing is, they never perform well in the their first match after an injury, anyways lets hope I'm wrong :)

How should we play on Wednesday night? Play the ball to Ronaldo and hope for the best!

HALA MADRID :star:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Real_Madrid said:
How should we play on Wednesday night? Play the ball to Ronaldo and hope for the best!

HALA MADRID :star:
I Agree. But we need Guti for that. He somehow gives those perfect assists for R9. Just the way he likes them. And I really hope Raul or Owen makes it to game. Raul would be better. And beckham needs to sit down. Let RC or Zidane take those freekicks.

This game wille be fought on midfield, and we all know beckham can't handle that. And it's too much for gravy to handle on his own, so bring in Guti.

Btw good to see R9 showing some skills last night :D

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
El Fenómeno. said:
Only problem is, this is exactly what you said ahead of the first leg.

And we all know how that turned out.
you're talking as if the game ended in a 5:0 win to madrid.
it was only 1:0.
let me remind you, the first 25 minutes with nedved, where all juve.
further more, in the 1st half stat, juve had more shots on goal then real madrid.
anyhow, maybe it's the beer, but i just don't remember us controling all the game for 90 minutes.

hey, and if when we win and i'm wrong, i'm always happy... :)

Btw, great news about beckham not playing...
Nothing personal against him... ;)

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
Btw, as much i can understand from an AS translated page, guti just "backed up" my thoughts...
he said it is up to the trainer to decide who should play, but he thinks that logically, players that were fit and played in the last 14 days are wise choice then players coming back from injury, who are not in full shape because they didn't play the last games...

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,495 Posts
Yyyyyyyyyessssssssssssss Crapham Is Out!!!

Hala Madrid!!!

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
Real_Madrid said:
Call me stupid, but I would really hope Beckham makes it! He has enough experience in the CL and we need his free-kicks and the winning formula in the first leg, his corners!
And you're right. We will have a lot of troubles breaking Juve's defence and with Beckham's passes close to the box it could be much easier.
Without him it's possible, our strikers will be cut of or will rarely get a chance to score.
Obviously Juve knows, that 1 our goal in the match actually reduces their chances for the continuing of the CL to a minimum. They will close the space on their half perfectly and we won't come very close to their goal imo.

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
lili said:
And you're right. We will have a lot of troubles breaking Juve's defence and with Beckham's passes close to the box it could be much easier.
Without him it's possible, our strikers will be cut of or will rarely get a chance to score.
gimme a break here...
who is exactly suppose to head this balls? ronaldo who is terrible in the air or raul who just come back from injury?
guti and solari has a much better vision for in game passes then beckham and they both have a quality which he don't have - technical ability. the ability to actual dribble the ball passed someone and not loose or pass the ball back.
the only thing he is maybe better then those two is his work rate. guti some can be "lazy" in games, but in terms of dangerous to juve, he is much more then beckham.
and please don't bring the FK situation, beckham have not been doing well in this area also, and our team has, let me see, RC, zidan, figo, solari and even ronaldo covering this area.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I hope Raul/Owen are fit :scared:

have a bad feeling we will need to score at Juve and having players of that ability with experience at every level of the game is a plus in my book. :thmbup:

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I agree that we will need to score at Juve, but I don't see why that can't be done. All the reservations that people have for this leg are pretty much the same ones they had for the last leg but that turned out okay.

I never expected Real (or Juve) to put the series away in one game. It was always going to take two games worth of effort so as long as Real has the same play during this next leg, Juve will be hard pressed to advance.

1 - 20 of 485 Posts