Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 331 Posts

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Uefa Champions League| Rd 16| 1st leg: Real Madrid CF vs Juventus FC.

Real Madrid CF
Juventus FC.

I am starting this thread two weeks early since there is plenty to talk about so we can enjoy all the build-up to another classic night of European Football.

When the draw was made for the last 16 of the Champions League 10 weeks ago, Juventus would have been the clear favourites to advance to the quarter-finals, but things can change in football very quickly and this is exactly what has happened. Real Madrid now have a coach who understands what it takes to win at all costs, and that much-needed balance and depth in midfield has been restored. Juventus have not been at their best lately, but they still remain defensively sound and in Capello they have the ultimate tactician. Nedved is a doubt for this match, but he is expected to shake off a knee injury in time to face Real.

REAL MADRID XI (probable):

-------------Casillas-----------
Salgado-Samuel-Helguera-Carlos
-----Beckham-Guti-Zidane------
--------------Figo-------------
-----Ronaldo-------Raul--------

JUVENTUS XI (probable):

----------------Buffon----------------
Zebina-Thuram-Cannavaro-Zambrotta--
Camoranesi-Emerson-Blasi-Nedved-----
--------Ibrahimovic-Trezeguet---------

CURRENT DOMESTIC FORM:

Real Madrid: WWWWW

Juventus: WWLLW

STATS:

*Luis Figo leads the Champions League in assists (5).
*Juventus have the number 1 ranked defense in the Champions League, with only 1 goal in 6 games conceeded in the group phase.
*Real Madrid have scored virtually twice as many goals (11) than Juventus have (6) during the group stages.
*Juventus are one of the most physical teams in the Uefa Champions League, with 114 fouls committed during the group phase.

TIME AND VENUE:

Uefa Champions League| Round 16| 1st leg|

Tuesday, 22 February 2005, 19:45 GMT | Estadio Santiago Bernabéu.

TV:

ART Sport
Premiere Sport 1
Canal+ (Spain)
Sky Sports 2
SF-2

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
El Fenómeno. said:
that much-needed balance and depth in midfield has been restored.
how can you say that when beckham is on the pitch? :howler: :howler: :howler: :howler: :howler: :howler: :howler:

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
If both teams keep current form up to the game, i think we couldn't have asked for a better chance to score a good 2-0 win at home which will be a massive advantage for us going into the second leg....

Though the game is home, i would still rather see Gravy on the pitch for Guti.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sagyv said:
how can you say that when beckham is on the pitch? :howler: :howler: :howler: :howler: :howler: :howler: :howler:
I don't know what your problem with Beckham is.

If he plays on the right, which he is doing, then we have perfect balance.

If we don't have balance, how have we managed to win 6 games in a row and close the gap to four points?

Your constant criticism of Beckham is getting tedious.

·
Registered
494 Posts
hmmm what a game it's going to be. Madrid have a strong attack, but Juve are the ones that understand the art of defending.

Anyway I think when we get going, we will get going, so if we score first, things gonna be easy. But more important is not to let juve counter (Gravy can prevent that). Anyway I'm coinfident Real will get past juve.

Besides Zizou will have somthing to prove, we all saw he getting angry (and score) in the last meeting in Turin after the booing by the Juve fans. So he will seek revenge. Plus Figo, R9, Raul and owen are made for big games. I think we should play with beckham, not because I love him so much (guti-gravy would be much better) but because we'll get plenty of free kicks. And he's been improving lately like the rest of the team.

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
El Fenómeno. said:

If we don't have balance, how have we managed to win 6 games in a row and close the gap to four points?

I'm sorry, we have a perfect balance with beckham on the right?
the only way he can give a good pass from the right side is in the case he is not pressured by the other team, which in most cases he is, very easy to press on...
and even if he get a cross, who can head it in? ronaldo? raul? none of them are good headers (though raul is much better in that then ronaldo), so what is the use of his passes? better have figo there, someone who can dribble pass players and give a more accurate pass.
balance on the right? you'r kidding me... just look at the espanyol game and how the team looked better once beckham was off...

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Nice preview El Fen :thmbup:

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
El Fenómeno. said:
*Juventus are one of the most physical teams in the Uefa Champions League, with 114 fouls committed during the group phase.
I hate when they call it that. Just say what it is without trying to excuse it. Not the most physical. The dirtiest. Plain and simple.

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
Geeeez. When I clicked on the Real Madrid forum and saw that so soon the first thread on the list was 'UCL| Rd 16| 1st leg: Real Madrid CF vs Juventus FC. ' I got shivers down my spine.

I think the biggest decision here for Lux is who start, Gravesen or Guti. Even though we're playing Juve, we are still at home so i'm sure he'll go with Guti, I just hope it's the other way around in the return leg.

We should be able to knock off Juventus. But all it takes is one moment to knock us out from Nedved, Trezeguet or :star:Zlatan:star:

HALA MADRID

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
numerodix said:
I hate when they call it that. Just say what it is without trying to excuse it. Not the most physical. The dirtiest. Plain and simple.
I was trying to be polite. :D

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
Should be a fun game for all to watch: "the generous but reckless" vs "the effective but dull". Two champions with opposite styles of play.

Juve really need Nedved back for this one and Real need to consider bolstering the defensive midfield positions. You may get away with 4 attacking midfielders against Osasuna, but not against Juve.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
I thought Gravesen could play in the Champions' League? Everton wasn't in it.

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
barracuda said:
Should be a fun game for all to watch: "the generous but reckless" vs "the effective but dull". Two champions with opposite styles of play.

Juve really need Nedved back for this one and Real need to consider bolstering the defensive midfield positions. You may get away with 4 attacking midfielders against Osasuna, but not against Juve.
you hit it on the spot.

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
barracuda said:
Juve depends too much on Nedved imo and i can imagine, they will play an overall defensive game. If we start to pressure them right from the beginning we will score soon or later. It's way harder to defend for 90 minutes than attacking and trying to force the rival to play your game imo.

·
Registered
36 Posts
El Fenómeno. said:

well said El Fenomeno :thumbsup:..he is obsessed with beckham.. :irritate: :stress: :thmbdown:

nice review..as u say we have almost perfect balance now..

·
Registered
261 Posts
4-0 juventus ..... after the horrible defeat RM will only focus on la liga and win it.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I have a feeling Real will come alive in the first game, simular to the Real-Manutd game in 02/03. With Zidane, Raul, Guti, Salgado, Solari and Owen in such good form, we can win both legs IMO.

1 - 20 of 331 Posts