Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 538 Posts

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Round 16 - 2nd Leg

Real Madrid CF vs AS Roma

Real Madrid CF have to overturn a one-goal deficit if they are to avoid defeat in the first knockout round of the UEFA Champions League for a fourth successive year. We'll look for the 1-0 win we need to advance to the QFs despite question marks over two key players; Guti and Van Nistelrooy. Neither has been training the last week and both are a doubt. We've also received another blow ahead of this game with the news that Arjen Robben will miss this match and is out indefinitely, after the criminal challenge he suffered in Huelva. The return of Robinho and Pepe somewhat soften the blows, but it'll take a committed, error-free performance for us to get the better of the Romans.

Historically, we've always faired very well against Italians on home soil. Madrid have won 20 of the 25 home fixtures against teams from Italy with two draws and three defeats - although no other Italian visitor has been as successful as Roma, who have just a single defeat in their three visits to the Bernabéu.

ASR returned to form over the weekend with a convincing 4-0 home win over Parma.​

Casillas

M.Torres - Pepe - Cannavaro - Heinze

Diarra - Gago

Drenthe - Guti - Robinho

Raúl​

TIME AND VENUE:

UCL| R16| 2L| Wednesday, 5 March 2008| 20:45 CET| Santiago Bernabéu

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure about the status of Van Nistelrooy and Guti, we'll know more after tomorrow's training session at 11am CET. It may be that RVN takes an injection in his ankle before the match to ensure his participation. If he finally can't make it, I'd much prefer Drenthe to Baptista.

It's such a shame Robben is out, they wouldn't have known what to do with him and Robinho running amok. How frustrating.

·
Pepe the Beast
4,493 Posts
I like that team. Though I'm a little old fashioned in that I tend to prefer to play with all 11 players but nevertheless....;)

Wait so is Robben's injury serious then or they just haven't determined the exact amount of time he will be out for?

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just read that Van Nistelrooy will not make it. Apparently, he's been playing with an injured ankle pretty much all season, which could be attributed to his poor form. He decided to stay quiet about it until now, when the pain has become too much. Club doctors have ordered him to rest and not return until his ankle is 100% healthy. It could be anything from 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
I guess we'll see Baptista.

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
No more 'beast'. I'd rather play with 10 men.. Please.. No more Baptista. He is awful.

It's really frustrating to have so many injuries. All I pray for is to field our best 11 just once this season.

If Guti is fit (please be fit buddy, we need you).

Casillas
Torres Pepe Canna Heinze
Diarra Gago
Guti
Robinho Drenthe
Raul​

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
One hell of a match.
Don't really know if it is better that guti might not play or not, i mean, its a 50/50 chance he'll get an "off day".
i would for sure not play baptista, but i think the rooster will prefer his physics in the midfield.

Since we need offence I would play
Casillas​
Torres Pepe Canna Heinze
Diarra
Gago Drenthe​
Robinho​
Raul Soldado​

as for robben, don't really care for him not playing, he adds nothing.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
My team if Guti can't go:

Casillas
Torres - Pepe - Cannavaro - Heinze
Diarra - Gago
Drenthe - Higuain - Robinho
Raul​

Obviously Higuain will push up to Raul's sides.

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
i wouldnt mind seeing any of the above 2 lineups, i guess either soldado or higuain will do. just not saviola or baptista, we actually need to win here.

one thing for sure, having Pepe back is a relief. ramos missing just doesnt matter as much as before now that we have him back.

i cant wait for this match. most important match of our season should be a cracker!

HALA MADRID!

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
My team if Guti can't go:

Casillas
Torres - Pepe - Cannavaro - Heinze
Diarra - Gago
Drenthe - Higuain - Robinho
Raul​

Obviously Higuain will push up to Raul's sides.
Yeah I agree with everything you said, if no Guti then we should start Higuain, simply don't start Baptista.

Anyways, I think we need Guti this match, especially with Robinho back, atleast someone who moves around and is not static waiting for a pass.

Whats important on Wednesday, is to make sure we don't conceede a goal. Cannavaro has been in great form lately hopefully he can keep it up, with the help of Pepe. Torres will have a difficult job against Mancini and thats where my worries are.

Anyways, playing Raul ALONE upfront is a mistake. He drops sometimes back to the midfield and is not always upfront which means that if we play him as the lone striker, we might be crossing balls to no one in some situations.

Higuain should start, although I know 99% we would be cursing him during and after the game for probably missing 785495895 one-on-one's, atleast he offers something and hopefully he converts one of the chances into a goal, or two. ;)

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
- I certainly hope not; If you would ignore his seemingly daunting physique (an advantage he seldom utilizes), he bares his lack of skill with the ball (in the midfield) with sluggish gaucherie and it is very infuriating to see him fall short over and over again. If the coach decides to select him for a position in the midfield, particularly for a match of this importance, he would be making a careless mistake.

- I agree with the rest who made the point that Higuain is a better choice.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
OMG this is getting scary

Normally,I wouldnt fear Roma at the Bernabeu honestly but what the hell !!

Ramos, Drenthe and Robben Probably out

and as a result most probably RUD will be rushed in ! (he's still a doubt)

what about Guti !

we are freakishly running out of options

·
Registered
494 Posts
Remind me who was the best player at the Stadio Olimpico?

At least make an effort not to sound completely clueless.
I have to agree with sagyv here. Sure Robben is one of our best attacking threats, but I much rather have Robinho in there. Robben is frustrating (kinda like Robinho in his early years). He doesn't know when to pass. Like yesterday. There a moment where I believe there were RObben, Raul and Drenthe against 2 defenders. Robben had the ball and could have easily played it to Raul, who would pass it to drenthe, putting him 1 on 1 with the keeper. But instead he decided to dribble. Had it been Robinho there, he would have definetly passed the ball.

Anyway it's a big loss not to have him against Roma, but I am happier with Robinho returning. He seems to be our only player this season who has some ideas (apart from Guti).

I also noticed 1 thing yesterday during the second half. Schuster definetly put Gago upfront. And diarra in front of the back 4, and back was the beast. I liked it more. I'd like to see (in case Guti doesn't make it):

------------Diarra
------------Gago
Higuain---------------Robinho
--------Raul---Soldado

Or

------------Diarra
------------Gago
Drenthe---------------Robinho
--------Raul---Higuain

1 - 20 of 538 Posts