Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 425 Posts

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Round 16 - 1st Leg

Real Madrid vs Liverpool

Two of European football's most illustrious names will come together for only the second time when Real Madrid CF and Liverpool FC get their first knockout round contest under way at the Santiago Bernabéu. Twenty-eight years after Liverpool claimed the European Champion Clubs' Cup at Madrid's expense with a 1-0 final win in Paris, these two clubs with 14 continental crowns between them will meet again in a duel deep in subplots. The presence of Rafael Benítez in the opposition dugout adds arguably the thickest splash of intrigue given his close association with the Spanish champions, with whom he spent a decade and a half of his sporting life. Born in Madrid, Benítez joined the Santiago Bernabéu side as a young hopeful in the 1973/74 campaign and spent seven years in the youth and reserve ranks. After injury had ended his playing days, he returned to the club in 1986 to embark on a coaching career in their youth system. He rose the ladder to become coach of Castilla, Madrid's B team, and, in the 1993/94 campaign, even had an eleven-game spell assisting then caretaker boss Vicente Del Bosque with the first team.

Liverpool's squad features five Spanish players in Xabi Alonso, Arbeloa :proud:, Pepe Reina, Albert Riera and Fernando Torres, the erstwhile icon of Madrid's city rivals Club Atlético de Madrid. Torres did not win a single game against Madrid in nine attempts with their city rivals Atlético. His only goal against us came in a 1-1 home draw, his final derby for Atlético. Still, he is a totally different player now and a clear danger (not that it matters to Pepe).

Real Madrid will register Lassana Diarra in the Champions League - so Klaas Huntelaar will not be eligible.

Real Madrid's Champions League record this millenium;

2000: Winners
2001: Semi-Final
2002: Winners
2003: Semi-Final
2004: Quarter-Finals
2005: First Round
2006: First Round
2007: First Round
2008: First Round
2009: ?

Casillas

S.Ramos - Pepe - Cannavaro - Heinze

Robben - Lassana - Gago - Sneijder

Higuain - Raúl

Reina

Arbeloa - Skrtel - Carragher - Aurelio

Mash - X.Alonso

Kuyt - Gerrard - Riera

Torres

UCL| R16| 1L| Wed, 25 Feb 2009| 20:45 CET| Santiago Bernabéu

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, just realized Barca have Numancia at home at the weekend :D .

Champions League is what it's about!

·
Registered
9,029 Posts
Real Madrid will register Lassana Diarra in the Champions League - so Klaas Huntelaar will not be eligible.
This hasn't been decided yet, has it? I mean, first TAS has to handle Madrid's appeal, right?

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This hasn't been decided yet, has it? I mean, first TAS has to handle Madrid's appeal, right?
Yes, but TAS will reject it. And when they do, the club has to make a choice. Juande is starting Diarra in every game right now while Hunter is on the bench, so his choice is clear. Furthermore, Guti has been ruled out for a month, so this decision is easy.

The only authoritative body that can save Huntelaar is TAS.

·
Registered
9,029 Posts
You don't need Huntelaar to score goals in this one and the fact that he still needs to adapt to the team is another point which speaks for Lassana. Raul always manage to score in this tournament regardless how much you bash him in league matches. :D

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
will be fun. the fact that we've played them once before makes it more exciting. and rich european history of the two clubs, excellent stuff.

lets hope our local channel decides to air this game live.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Indeed Ramallets, hopefully Raul will roll back the years as he usually does in this competition. So many interesting matchups in this tie; Torres vs Pepe, Lassana and Gago vs Mascherano, Alonso and Gerrard, 4-4-2 vs 4-2-3-1, Rafa vs Juande, Anfield vs Bernabeu. I think the winner will not progress by more than one goal - with the qualifying team advancing on the away goals rule most likely. A clean sheet at the Bernabeu is just so vital, or at least 1-1. A high-scoring 2-2/3-3 draw would be bordering on the disastrous. 0-0 would force Liverpool to come out with more attacking vigour in the second-leg, which Robben can exploit.

·
Quinta del Buitre
874 Posts
Clean sheet would be gr8.If we don't win on Bernabeu or at least 0:0 we're done.We have to come with good form into this,otherwise...

Lassana will play,no doubt.

We'll see,this one is still far away,I'm focused on la liga.Depor must fall on it's knees at Bernabeu!:mad:

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
a lot will be decided by the performance of gerrard. and that may get affected by the whole arrest thing

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
El Nino, meet Pepe.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Indeed Ramallets, hopefully Raul will roll back the years as he usually does in this competition.
No real mystery why Raul keeps doing well in ChL.

One, Raul's a "tricky" forward. Primera defenders already have his game down pat while teams in ChL are not familiar with everything he does. Two, refereeing is tighter in Europe so he's not manhandled and pushed off the ball as often as in Spain.
Three, he's got the confidence of a man who believes he owns the European Cup and the competition.

We'll do fine offensively with Raul in this competition. We're not even sure if Huntelaar would be an upgrade. Diarra however, definitely is.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
With SAF probably playing a cowardly tactic like against us, and with the Translator's team being pretty crap overall, this could be the pick of the round. The CL is the most realistic target for both teams, with Liverpool being under much lesser pressure.
I think three men will decide this tie - Casillas, Gerrard and Benitez. My money is on Liverpool mostly because of Rafael Benitez being a better coach than Ramos, and much more experienced in these difficult goal-for-goal European ties of a level significantly higher than the UEFA Cup.

El Nino, meet Pepe.

Doesn't it get tiresome, typing with one hand all the time?

·
Third Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
20,440 Posts
just read in as that we decided not to go to the TAS and will register Lass. :thumbsup:

even though I feel sorry for hunter, its the only acceptable decision. The rule is shit, but UEFA is right not to change during the season.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Don´t know the out come, but ugly football is a guaranteed!

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Torres is incredible. I always felt he was stagnating at Atletico and needed a change, good that he made that change whilst still relatively young (especially for a forward). His transformation is now more or less complete. Best forward in the World. If it wasn't for Pepe I would be terrified. Of course Torres can not be completely stopped -but Pepe has the athleticism and intelligence to limit the damage. This is going to be one amazing duel.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Never. I said Benzema is going to enjoy that accolade one day, but not now. It's not his time yet.

1 - 20 of 425 Posts