Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 395 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UCL| QF| 1st leg| SL Benfica vs FC Barcelona

In this round of the Champions' League, we'll be welcomed by Portuguese giants, SL Benfica, who are led by Barcelona legend, RONALD KOEMAN :proud:

And lets not forget two former Barça players, Simão and Geovanni, who are likely to feature in the game.

Despite beating Liverpool away and at home, all is not well in the Lisbon based club. Koeman's tactics are still being questioned and domestically, they have been far from spectacular.

But saying that, they have certainly picked up their form in the last few weeks. Their current domestic form looks like this:

SL Benfica 1-0 Sporting Braga
Rio Ave 0-1 SL Benfica
SL Benfica 0-0 Naval
Estrela Amadora 1-2 SL Benfica
SL Benfica 1-0 FC Porto

Benfica are likely to play a 4-2-3-1 system, which is an established formation in Spanish football, but Koeman has been known (and criticised) for continually chopping and changing players and tactics, so it'll be difficult to predict what line-up he will use this time.

This could be a possible line-up:

Quim; Nelson, Luisão, Anderson, Leo; Manuel Fernandes, Petit; Simão, Karagounis, Robert; Nuno Gomes.

Benfica fans, feel free to correct any mistakes ;)

In the Catalan camp, Barça will have Edmílson, Rafa Márquez, Leo Messi and Xavi all absent due to injury, and Carles Puyol will serve a 1 match ban. Personally, I think we should line up like this:

Valdés; Belletti, Oleguer, Rodri, Sylvinho; Motta, Iniesta, Deco; Ronaldinho, Eto'o and Larsson.

Whatever line-up we use, the attitude has to be there and we can't underestimate our opponents. On paper, Benfica might look like the weakest side left in the competition, but they are the same side that knocked out the current holders.

I expect Benfica to keep it tight at the back and hit us on the counter. I don't see them as a traditional counter-attacking team, but there's no way that they can outplay us and I expect them to play to their strengths. Lets hope the team show respect to the opponents, because playing in Luz will not be easy.

We should keep calm and slowly up the gears like we always do. Having 5 key players absent is a blow, but the team must not think about what's not there, only what is there.

There's nothing more to say apart from...

VISCA EL BARÇA!!!

·
Boti Boti Boti
10,303 Posts
VS

TUESDAY MARCH 28​
ESTADIO DA LUZ​

After the drab goalless draw at Malaga today, Barça travel to Lisboa to take on Benfica in the first leg of the CL quarters.

Injured for Barça are Edmilson and Marquez, with Puyol also missing the game through suspension, posing problems in the CB spot as to who will start. Rodri might be called on, or possibly Motta to fill in in the back.
Ronaldinho and Deco were rested vs. Malaga, with Rijkaard opting to give them a break before this match and the upcoming clasico next weekend.

Benfica has made 2.5 million Euros from ticket sales alone so far for this match.
Miccoli should be back for them from injury. They can be dangerous on set-pieces and that is something that Barça's replacement defenders will have to watch very carefully.

My Prediction: Barça to win 1-2

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like I'm just too quick for the old man... ;)

·
Defunk'ed
7,869 Posts
Nuno Gomes is suspended. And probably Quim wont start. This other young bloke will who played against Pool in the second leg.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Our probable line-up:

----------------Valdes----------
--Belletti--Rodri-----Oleguer---Gio--
---------------Motta-----------
--------Iniesta-------Deco----
-Giuly-----------------Ronaldinho---
--------------Eto'o------------

Today's game was clear indicator about what are Frank's plans for this crucial game.
I'm practically sure the defence won't be changed while the only doubts are wheter Iniesta will given a chance or Rijkaard will stick with Van Bommel whose form is simply atrocious And also who from Giuly and Larsson will occupy the right wing.

Benfica's line-up should be something similar to this:

-----------------Moretto-------------
---Nelson--Luizao------Anderson----Leo
--------Petit---Manuel Fernandes-------
--Robert--------Miccoli----------Simao--
--------------Geovanni------

Their keeper is rather unreliable and tends to make silly mistakes so we should capitalize on that and score as many as possible.

·
Boti Boti Boti
10,303 Posts
Barça_Fan said:
It looks like I'm just too quick for the old man... ;)

Oh you only got it in first because I had to go help my wife bring in the groceries from the car before I pressed the post button ;) :finger:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
zyad said:
Oh you only got it in first because I had to go help my wife bring in the groceries from the car before I pressed the post button ;) :finger:
Like I said, getting old...married...it's the same thing :pp

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
YES!

Finally Barcelona will meat their hero - RONALD KOEMAN

It will be very symbolic match for me!

Koeman..... HIS GOAL TO SAMPDORIA

HE IS A MAN!

I HOPE THAT SMTH WILL HAPPEN AND WE WILL MEAT Juventus and Benfica will meet Arsenal...
:hopefull:

FORCA BARCA!

P.s. i will be for draw.... in the first leg :D

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Akimych said:

I HOPE THAT SMTH WILL HAPPEN AND WE WILL MEAT Juventus and Benfica will meet Arsenal...​

Eh??​

·
Registered
11 Posts
The only other occasion the two sides faced up saw Barça emerge triumphant – and it proved a happy omen with captain Koeman going on to lift Europe's most prestigious club prize with a 1-0 victory at Wembley against UC Sampdoria. In the group stage that immediately preceded the final of the 1991/92 tournament, Barcelona earned a 0-0 draw in Portugal before a 2-1 home success.

i want the goals of this match pleeeez :heart:

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
I have a meeting at the same time as the game:eekani: :mad: I will be traveling in Las Vegas :happy: but I have to be with prospect customers during the game:( I will be trying to sneak in game updates in my mobile phone.

Barcelona needs a big game from the defenders and Valdes, it is sooooo important for them not to make silly mistakes and stay calm. That stadium will be rocking.

·
Seis Copas
5,517 Posts
Looking forward to the game.

I just hope and pray that our Defense can hold up for 90 mintues without getting outplayed, at least 'till we get Puyol back at Camp Nou.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Barça_Fan said:
In this round of the Champions' League, we'll be welcomed by Portuguese giants, SL Benfica, who are led by Barcelona legend, RONALD KOEMAN :proud:

And lets not forget two former Barça players, Simão and Geovanni, who are likely to feature in the game.

Despite beating Liverpool away and at home, all is not well in the Lisbon based club. Koeman's tactics are still being questioned and domestically, they have been far from spectacular.

But saying that, they have certainly picked up their form in the last few weeks. Their current domestic form looks like this:

SL Benfica 1-0 Sporting Braga
Rio Ave 0-1 SL Benfica
SL Benfica 0-0 Naval
Estrela Amadora 1-2 SL Benfica
SL Benfica 1-0 FC Porto

Benfica are likely to play a 4-2-3-1 system, which is an established formation in Spanish football, but Koeman has been known (and criticised) for continually chopping and changing players and tactics, so it'll be difficult to predict what line-up he will use this time.

This could be a possible line-up:

Quim; Nelson, Luisão, Anderson, Leo; Manuel Fernandes, Petit; Simão, Karagounis, Robert; Nuno Gomes.

Benfica fans, feel free to correct any mistakes ;)

In the Catalan camp, Barça will have Edmílson, Rafa Márquez, Leo Messi and Xavi all absent due to injury, and Carles Puyol will serve a 1 match ban. Personally, I think we should line up like this:

Valdés; Belletti, Oleguer, Rodri, Sylvinho; Motta, Iniesta, Deco; Ronaldinho, Eto'o and Larsson.

Whatever line-up we use, the attitude has to be there and we can't underestimate our opponents. On paper, Benfica might look like the weakest side left in the competition, but they are the same side that knocked out the current holders.

I expect Benfica to keep it tight at the back and hit us on the counter. I don't see them as a traditional counter-attacking team, but there's no way that they can outplay us and I expect them to play to their strengths. Lets hope the team show respect to the opponents, because playing in Luz will not be easy.

We should keep calm and slowly up the gears like we always do. Having 5 key players absent is a blow, but the team must not think about what's not there, only what is there.

There's nothing more to say apart from...

VISCA EL BARÇA!!!

About us: Miccoli will play in Nuno Gomes place, probably being Geovanni with Laurent Robert and Simao on the wings.

Nelson won't be our right back since he's injured as is Alcides. So i'm guessing we'll play Ricardo Rocha, a central defender, at the right side of the defence.

Oh, just another thing, i sincerely believe Villareal is weaker than us.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,698 Posts
its a game of speed, Benfica have speed in their counter attack, and have a good player in shooting from out side the 18 yard box, specialy with Robert and Petit both been scoring good goals from Free kicks, and thats something we must take care of.

in the other hand, with them missing a right back, that will give Ronaldinho a bigger chance to have his way around the wing as usual, I'm counting on this time big time!

I'd rather see this line up for this game.. "and I think Rijkaard might use it"

Valdes
Belletti ........ Olequer .......... Rodri ......... Gio / Sylvinho "if not injured"

------------ Motta -----------
Deco ....................... Iniesta

Larsson ......... Eto'o .......... Ronaldinho

with the chance of seeing Motta in CB, and maybe will have a 2 DM's in the field, with Deco moving into a play maker spot!

Visca el Barca i Visca Catalunya :star: :strong: :heart: :proud: :thmbup: :fero:

·
Defunk'ed
7,869 Posts
Miccoli and Leo injured as well ? That might be a very good omen for us because I consider Miccoli a major threat on goal, even bigger than Nuno Gomes.

1 - 20 of 395 Posts