Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Third Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UEFA Champions League final
Venue: Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow

It is the first ever UEFA Champions league final for Chelsea. Manchester United have participated in the final twice in the past and both times lifted the cup. Their first victory came in 1968 when they won 4 - 1 after extra time against Benfica at Wembley. The second time was a dramatic 2 - 1 win over Bayern at Barcelona's Nou Camp back in 1999.

This season United are undefeated in Champions League while Chelsea had lost once. That came in quarter final first leg away at Fenerbahce.

Teams have met each other three times this season. United won Community Shield after penalty shoot out (normal time ended 1 - 1) and league game at Old Trafford (2 - 0). Chelsea won league game at Stamford Bridge 2 - 1.

All players are free of suspension. Ricardo Carvalho missed league game last Sunday because of an injury and John Terry suffered an injury in that match. So, both of them are doubtful for the upcoming game.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
What do you think grant's chelsea line up will be considering the doubts to some with injuries, Railroad?

nice words from guti there in your signature.

I miss Zee Zee.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I think he will play

Cech; Essien, Carvalho, Terry, A. Cole; Ballack, Makelele, Lampard; J. Cole, Malouda; Drogba.

The only one I'm not so sure of is that he might start Kalou in front of Malouda. If I were Grant, I would start Mikel ahead of Makelele. In the last game between these two at Stamford Bridge, Mikel bossed United's midfield.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Makalele is awesome when he's at his best, and most of the time he still is. With his experience and big match play he's definitely ahead of Mikel. I like Mikel a lot, and his physical attributes would cause Man Utd different problems, but I feel very comfortable with Maka doing what he does

·
Premium Member
17,516 Posts
Makalele is awesome when he's at his best, and most of the time he still is. With his experience and big match play he's definitely ahead of Mikel. I like Mikel a lot, and his physical attributes would cause Man Utd different problems, but I feel very comfortable with Maka doing what he does
agreed, mikel careless in tackles, was sent off against man scum, and with wankers like ronaldo diving all over can cost us a penalty or a freekick...

·
Registered
6,218 Posts

·
THE
14,762 Posts
what Grant should do and what he never will, is, to line up Sheva. It is a CL final, and we do not have much experience in that. Sheva has been in few finals, his experience should be used to maximum.

·
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What do you think grant's chelsea line up will be considering the doubts to some with injuries, Railroad?
I agree with squad Benjie posted. Left wing is the only position where it is difficult to say. Malouda, Kalou, or maybe even Anelka. Only Grant knows.

If one of our centre backs wouldn't be fit then Alex will step into and in case both would be unavailable Essien would be moved to the heart of defence and Ferreira would start as right back.

If I were Grant, I would start Mikel ahead of Makelele. In the last game between these two at Stamford Bridge, Mikel bossed United's midfield.
United's midfield with players like Fletcher and Anderson. It would be more difficult against the likes of Scholes.

But one thing I'm worried about is that even if United prefer 4-3-3 in big games, they still can play 4-4-2 and it would be extremely difficult to handle it. Carrick and Scholes are both great passing midfielders and with four players in front of them they would have quite many options and they are more than capable of executing a right pass and causing problems.

·
Premium Member
17,516 Posts
what Grant should do and what he never will, is, to line up Sheva. It is a CL final, and we do not have much experience in that. Sheva has been in few finals, his experience should be used to maximum.
nah i doubt he will change the shape to 4-4-2 in such a big game...but could send shevy for cole if things go bad......in fact cole has been mediocre for the last 5-6 games and in my eyes doesnt deserve a first 11 place...molouda at least played well last 3 games...

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
nah i doubt he will change the shape to 4-4-2 in such a big game...but could send shevy for cole if things go bad......in fact cole has been mediocre for the last 5-6 games and in my eyes doesnt deserve a first 11 place...molouda at least played well last 3 games...
Yea, but Joey has a tremendous inner drive and he's a true student of the game, I think he's going to be fantastic

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
l'incontournable

I agree with squad Benjie posted. Left wing is the only position where it is difficult to say. Malouda, Kalou, or maybe even Anelka. Only Grant knows.
Yeah I agree to this seems to be the grant way

Why wouldn't he want start with Makélélé-Lampard-Essien or Makélélé-Ballack-Essien or even a Essien-Ballack-Wright-Phillips to win this game against the ManChester?

Please note the common denominator:

Tradutor said:
... is a great player. He can play every position in midfield. Where he is perfect in choices. In football, the most difficult thing is to choose well, and in every situation he chooses well. He presses, stays in position, passes long, passes short, first touch, two touches. He controls the pace of the game, fast or slow. He is midfield multifunctional, he is dynamic and strong. The boy has incredible physical power, he is super resistant with great speed and unending tactical abilities.
For me all those options as stronger than the (badly) arranged marriage of convenience between Lampard and Ballack whom, to me, seem to play their best soccer when the other is off the pitch or warming a bench.

Don't they recognise that if Michael Ballack starts John Obi Mikel's gotta start to get the best outta of both.

Yet for all that my guess is that who starts does not matter as much as what changes will be made and how effective they will be.

If one of our centre backs wouldn't be fit then Alex will step into and in case both would be unavailable Essien would be moved to the heart of defence and Ferreira would start as right back.
What are the chances of both Terry and Carvalho not starting?

·
THE
14,762 Posts
Yes,but, ManU people probably fear more Joe than Malouda.

At this point I feel like Grinch from the film * I almost lost my cool here*

·
Fourth Place Winner, April Photo Contest 2008
3,512 Posts
He'll play 433 imo, the players will be eager to get it and it'll balance the lack of experience (however, they've played too long at a top level to not have it anyway) Sheva might come in as a sub if things are going wrong or just to fill his statistic.

·
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What are the chances of both Terry and Carvalho not starting?
I hope chances are small. :)

Anyway, two good news - Vidic tries to play mind games with Drogba (Rafa also tried, didn't he :pp ) and Lubos Michel (IMO the best referee in the world at the moment) will referee the final.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts