Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

FC BASEL 1893 vs FC BARCELONA
St. Jakob-Park (Basel) | Wed, Oct 22 | 20:45

The third game of the group stage of the Champions League. Barcelona have the chance to almost certify the pass to the next round of the competition.

On paper, the Swiss team is the weakest rival of our group. Barcelona should impose their superiority to win this game. Even though any other result wouldn't be too risky, we have the chance to face the next games with calm. Something very important, if we consider that in late November and December, we'll have some tough games in La Liga.

Messi and Xavi will probably return to the team and more changes are possible, knowing the ideas of Guardiola.

Some anecdotes, we return to St.Jakob-Park, the place where we won our first Cup Winners' Cup, a historical event for our club and a legendary date for a generation of barcelonistes. As you also know, our Joan Gamper was fan of this club and we owe the colors of our club to this city.

FORÇA BARÇA!

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
Make it 9 points,because then we can win/draw at home against Basel and win the group.That will give us 2 games for all the less playing players to play and the regulars to rest.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
If we win against Basel it will be our 8:th straight win, didn't we have about 19 straight wins during our prime with Rijkaard? It's a good record for Guardiola who's only trained this team for 5 months in official matches. Should this team continue and smash the teams that we are supposed to in the uppcomming weeks (I'm thinking about Basel, Almeria, Valladolid and so on), then Guardiola will be very close to the greatest record Rijkaard set during his career here after just 5 months....but let's not jinx it :pp

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Under Rijkaard will always knew the lineup and now its just impossible to get it :)

I like it, every lineup is a surprise :)

I hope tomorrow bojan is the surprise - he must start!

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If we win against Basel it will be our 8:th straight win, didn't we have about 19 straight wins during our prime with Rijkaard? It's a good record for Guardiola who's only trained this team for 5 months in official matches. Should this team continue and smash the teams that we are supposed to in the uppcomming weeks (I'm thinking about Basel, Almeria, Valladolid and so on), then Guardiola will be very close to the greatest record Rijkaard set during his career here after just 5 months....but let's not jinx it :pp
If you don't want to jinx it, don't say it! :D

Seriously, the team is improving day by day and we all can see it. I think the next dates are important to collect points. All our domestic rivals are looking pretty strong, so it'd be important to add tension to the standings to see who's the next to fall. Atletico is out already, now the next.

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
about time we had some surprise element, we used to be so god damn predictable :)

i remember when Mourinho made fun of us saying " they will substitute za gio for za silvinho"

hehe

·
Registered
9,698 Posts
I can say this game gonna be a historical event, because it will bring back great memories, and hopefuly the next game in Camp Nou we'll make it a fastival in all manners.

Visca el Barca i Visca Juan Gamper i Visca Catalunya :fero: :star: :heart:

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
about time we had some surprise element, we used to be so god damn predictable :)

i remember when Mourinho made fun of us saying " they will substitute za gio for za silvinho"

hehe
And he still saw how Rijkaard won the CL for us... in any case, I still admire his substitution of Joe Cole for Huth. :thumbsup:

·
Messiah
9,580 Posts
Its going to be an easy win .:thumbsup:

·
Seis Copas
5,517 Posts
I wouldn't take 'em slightly TiTi, I think it's a big game for Basel but I expect a win.

We just need all 3 points and then we're straight and off to the 2nd round, and then HOPEFULLY we'll get to see Bojan, Pedro [Healthy] and Caceres start the rest of group stage games, especially Bojan!

·
Gracies, Turkiye!
19,988 Posts
FC Basel/Basilea is the club where Joan Gamper was one of the first captains. Respect.
Hopefully we can keep this triumphant run for a bit. Would like to see Bojan start here, its time. Maybe even Caceres and Sylvinho can see some minutes here.

Camp Nou, Pedro is still injured for a couple of more weeks.

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
And he still saw how Rijkaard won the CL for us... in any case, I still admire his substitution of Joe Cole for Huth. :thumbsup:
hahaha

That team was so strong it defeated everybody even when it was predictable :)

Rijkaard wuold play the same 11 as if he was mocking them :) .. this is who i'm going to play, this is how we play, we wont change it, we will win, and there is nothing you can do abou tit :)

for a while.. :)

·
Gracies, Turkiye!
19,988 Posts

·
In Exile
5,398 Posts
Rijkaard did rotate, but his rotations were automatic and as such completely predictable, one game Sylvinho played, the other Gio, next Sylvinho, then Gio etc. in a complete symmetrical pattern.

There is an English-speaking site where one can post starting line-ups for the last three games, noone yet guessed it. In the Athletic game, with Xavi out, one expected either Hleb or Iniesta in the midfield, but Pep went with a surprise of 3 DMs to muscle out the Basques and with no creativity from midfield (and the goal was scored after the pass from midfield -- done by Henry). And even when Keita went injured, he hold such midfield by entering Busquets (instead of Hleb or Bojan, which could draw Iniesta back to midfield).

1 - 20 of 144 Posts