1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
|

Partido; Zenit - Real Madrid
Fecha; 30/09/2008
Hora; 18:30 CET (17.30BST, 12.30EST, 19.30 Middle East and 02.30AM RedHat)
Estadio; Estadio Petrovsky
Jornada; 2
TV; Click here for on the box, or for streams click here.

We're in St.Petersburg in midweek for what can only be described as the biggest game of the season so far. For many, this is considered the group of death and with back-to-back matches against Juventus on the horizon, a defeat here would be a major setback which could have dire long-term implications on our qualification hopes. Schuster is going to restore Cannavaro to the starting line-up in search of the all-important clean sheet, while Higuain will be used as a supersub option to change the course of the match if required.

Zenit, the UEFA Cup and UEFA Super Cup holders, had given a good account of themselves in Turin during matchday one and only looked under threat from set-pieces. That route ultimately proved their undoing with Alessandro Del Piero scoring from a direct free-kick with 14 minutes remaining. The Russians have warmed up for this game with an easy 3-0 drubbing away at Lokomotiv Moskva on Saturday. Andrei Arshavin is a household name nowadays, but Zenit's primary strength lies in their team work and thorough tactical understanding - in many ways they're very similar to Juande Ramos' Sevilla.

An early goal to silence their outlandish crowd and a CampNou-sized performance from the backline is the foundation for victory... concede the first goal - particularly early on - and it'll be a long-night.

Casillas

S.Ramos - Pepe - Cannavaro - Heinze

Diarra

VdV- - - - DLR

Raul - - - - - - - - Robben

VAN THE FÚCKING MAN

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First time this season that I am fúcking pumped.

Remember folks, this match does not kick off at the same time as the evening's other CL action. If you haven't already done so you can check local kick-off times on the post above.

So far we've faced decent/good teams but I think it's fair to say this will be our first real test in 08/09. The team spirit and togetherness is extremely strong but now we need to confirm the talent. Are we amongst the elite in Europe?

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
:howler: cheers for that Mo, i honestly would have probably missed it had you nt put the time there.

gonna be a cracker.

·
Registered
44,603 Posts
The game starts 20.30 in Russia,two hours earlier in Spain.

Zenit weakest link is their left back and overall the defence,if they have the same approach as in the rus league this will end 4-2 or 2-4....on other hand sit back and wait for the opponent is not their style of play at home.

This is a must win game for Zenit,if Real Madrid won the group is over.

Some results by Zenit at home this year

Shinnik 1-3
cska 1-3
nalchik 3-4
Rubin 1-3

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how are the temperature over there? is already snowing?
Tuesday evening forecast; 8-10°C, small chance of light showers. The conditions are expected to be good, so we're at an advantage to host the return match at the Bernabeu.

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
[Zenit, the UEFA Cup and UEFA Super Cup holders, had given a good account of themselves in Turin during matchday one and only looked under threat from set-pieces. That route ultimately proved their undoing with Alessandro Del Piero scoring from a direct free-kick with 14 minutes remaining. ]
I didn't see that game, but if thats the case then it's so important for us to have Diarra/Pepe/Ramos/Cannavaro/Heinze on the end of those VDV freekicks.

Tuesday evening forecast; 8-10°C, small chance of light showers. The conditions are expected to be good, so we're at an advantage to host the return match at the Bernabeu.
We are definitely very lucky to go to Russia now and not for the return leg with gloves and long sleeve shirts to play with an orange ball:eek:

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've just seen extended highlights of Sampdoria-Juve and I am not so sure about how significant a defeat here will be on our qualification chances. Juve just do not strike me as nearly potent enough at all. Sergio Ramos is going to have their left-hand side on complete shut down - which will afford Diarra and Gago/DLR the luxury of focusing exclusively on sniffing out their predictable creative efforts through the middle. They'll have no answer to Sneijder, VdV and Robben inter-changing. I expect us to pick up at least four points against Juve, unless Ranieri shows a sudden genius tactical touch which right now appears as likely as Robinho starting for us.

So....

A defeat here would not be ideal of course - although not completely disastrous either.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
im not sure ramos will handle danny and arshavin that easily. they both play more on the left than on the right

we'll have to be very careful. that danny guy is brilliant

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
ah sry i thought u were talking about zenit

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Here's the squad named for the game:

GK: Iker Casillas, Jerzy Dudek, Jordi Codina

DF: Pepe, Fabio Cannavaro, Sergio Ramos, Gabriel Heinze, Marcelo, Miguel Torres

MF: Rafael Van der Vaart, Mahamadou Diarra, Ruben De la Red, Javi Garcia, Royston Drenthe, Arjen Robben

FW: Ruud van Nistelrooy, Raul, Gonzalo Higuain, Javier Saviola

--

Not called up: Wesley Sneijder(injured), Guti.HAZ(injured), Fernando Gago(injured), Christoph Metzelder(technical decision), Michel Salgado(technical decision)

·
Registered
44,603 Posts
I've just seen extended highlights of Sampdoria-Juve and I am not so sure about how significant a defeat here will be on our qualification chances. Juve just do not strike me as nearly potent enough at all. Sergio Ramos is going to have their left-hand side on complete shut down - which will afford Diarra and Gago/DLR the luxury of focusing exclusively on sniffing out their predictable creative efforts through the middle. They'll have no answer to Sneijder, VdV and Robben inter-changing. I expect us to pick up at least four points against Juve, unless Ranieri shows a sudden genius tactical touch which right now appears as likely as Robinho starting for us.

So....

A defeat here would not be ideal of course - although not completely disastrous either.
They are ok in defence and def mid but nedved is getting old....they don't have creativity.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts

So....

I will tell you smthn ... Juve is the typical kind of team we may struggle against

their defensive midifeld is soooo solid and hard to outplay (Sissoko and Poulsen) the defence is the worst thing as you know .... Robben would eat Molinaro alive

their offense is so capable of causing problems (Amauri and Camo are too dangerous)

wont be easy to beat them (in the Bernabeu) .... they will close all gaps and try to hurt on the counter and they are capable of causing alot of harm

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am not worried about Juve hitting us on the counter - who is going to transport the ball with any meaningful speed? Nedved? Poulsen? Their forwards are indeed dangerous but they're starved of service. If we play to our potential we are capable of recording two wins against Juve. Let's shelve that discussion for the time being though and focus on Zenit.

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
If our manager was smart enough (and he ain't), he could Nedved for the inform Giovinco, if you can find extended highlights of Giovinco vs Catania this season, he was masterful, completely owning our left side with his great speed and dribbling skills, certainly better than Neddy now, thing is, Nedved didn't play CL footy for 2 years so he surely will play if fit ..

Camo can deliver also if he's on his day, he's not finished yet.

Still if Madrid are on their day, we can easily lose in both games, yeah sure we didn't lose any game this season yet, but still, by our current form, only Sissoko, Buffon, Amauri, Chiellini(though he made a mistake 2 games ago but still) and Del Piero are inform, the rest = average.

Robben would eat Molinaro alive
Hopefully De Ceglie, our sub LB who's 22 years of age, and better than Molinaro plays, if Molinaro plays certainly we will be ****ed.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
True but Ranieri seems to trust Molinaro more

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
Yes, dono what can he possibly see in him, he's shit, only thing that is a relief about him that he can only get better as he's 25.

·
Registered
7,495 Posts
The game will be on ESPN deportes at 12:30 US eastern time and the repeat with english commentary will be at 5 pm on ESPN classic. I'm more than likely going to see the latter due to classes but it's going to be a nerve wrecking extra few hours :pp

·
Registered
12,134 Posts
Wow, I'm already pumped as well, although it's tomorrow. We need three points, I don't care about any speculation. Get out and beat them!

1 - 20 of 169 Posts