Votes: 6 9.8%
  • No

Votes: 55 90.2%
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone agree that the final should be held over two legs? I know the big sense of occasion and fanfare would be somewhat diminshed by not having a 90-minute decider, but the final of the CL is invaraibly gubbins compared with the earlier knockout stages, and there's much more chance of at least a few decent minutes of footie over two legs than in one nervous encounter. I used to be sceptical, but I love the away-goal rule now.

(can someone make this a poll?)

·
Registered
402 Posts
The final should stay what it is.

When there's an exciting final there's nothing to complain about, and when you get one like last year then you should be thankful you don't get it double.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just noticed I misspeled UCL.

[edit]Just notice I misspelled misspelled[/edit]

When there's an exciting final there's nothing to complain about, and when you get one like last year then you should be thankful you don't get it double.
I can't remember the last time there was a watchable final. I'd rather they played it over 6 weeks on the moon than sit through another horror show like Juve-Milan two years ago.

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
No way, then we would see great teams like Barcelona lose against anti-football teams like Chelsea :(

·
Registered
402 Posts
dubh-ban said:
I can't remember the last time there was a watchable final. I'd rather they played it over 6 weeks on the moon than sit through another horror show like Juve-Milan two years ago.
So if they play like that over two games how much better is that?

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alexey said:
So if they play like that over two games how much better is that?
Well, my point is that the two-leg format prevents them playing like that. Too many teams go out scared rigid of making a mistake and end up stifling what should be a showcase match. While it's possible to slaughter a game by sitting back for 90 minutes on neutral turf, it's less feasible to expect to be able to do it over two whole matches, home and away. Once the possibility of extra time and penalties is removed by the away goal it changes the outlook of the game completely.

If anti-football is scoring 5 and conceding 4 against the Spanish league leaders, I say bring it on. Last night's Barcelona/Chelsea match was one of the best I've seen in a long time. Viva el anti-fútbol!

·
Registered
116 Posts
dubh-ban said:
Just noticed I misspeled UCL.

[edit]Just notice I misspelled misspelled[/edit]

That game was a defensive orgy.
It was 10 times better than last year's final if you ask me, but then again, some people do not see the seductive allure of the defensive play.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alexey said:
Did you see the semifinal between Milan and Inter?
True enough, it was wretched. Hmm, a pattern is beginning to emerge here... :D

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Good thread. I can totally see the rationale behind a 2-legged final. Instead of a nervous 90 minutes, we could actually see some decent football because the away goals rule forces teams to attack in order to get goals. I'm all for it.

·
Registered
56,253 Posts
why not 3 legs, like at the pétanque?. one leg, then the revenge and if it's not enough "la belle".
without the 'fanny' of course:D

·
Registered
37 Posts
The greater competitions in the world should be decided in one game. Just like the World Cup.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can youse make some effort at an argument? It's not like I'm going to go change the rules of the Champions' League based on a vote, I'd just rather hear people's reasons.

·
Banned
10,200 Posts
mali said:
why not 3 legs, like at the pétanque?. one leg, then the revenge and if it's not enough "la belle".
without the 'fanny' of course:D
:D :D :D

The game should be 1 leg

·
Premium Member
12,798 Posts
IMO, a Cup Final should always be a one leg match played on a neutral ground. A one legged cup final brings out the cup final atmophere better and there is a higher possibility of an upset.

In the past, UEFA Cup Finals were a 2 legged home-away fixture. 2 legged fixtures could be pretty boring in the 2nd leg if a team had virtually won the tie in the 1st leg.

dubh-ban said:
(can someone make this a poll?)
Done (Fixed the spelling error in the thread title too) :)

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I think it should stay at one leg. It brings the best out of players knowing that this time there will be no second leg and in other words second chance.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ilgenio said:
2 legged fixtures could be pretty boring in the 2nd leg if a team had virtually won the tie in the 1st leg.
That's a very good point actually. While last night's Lyon-Bremen goalfest was a hoot to watch, it wasn't really CL final material. I'll have to quote Deportivo-Milan though, for obvious reasons :D

Thanks for the poll, btw.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
I always see important Cup Finals as a 45-minute event. In the first half, the two teams are almost always reduced to testing out one another and neither is able to commit. Unless there's an early goal, otherwise 0-0 in the first half of a Cup final is the safest place to put your money on any given day.

Teams will only start to open up after coming back on from the dressing rooms and it's normally an entirely different event to the first half. That's the sorry state of affairs these days.. if a team concedes a goal in the second half, they wouldn't have much time to react. All in all, 45 minutes is too short a time to decide a Cup final..

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
ilgenio said:
2 legged fixtures could be pretty boring in the 2nd leg if a team had virtually won the tie in the 1st leg.
Very true. This is the main fundimental reason why they shouldn't

1 - 20 of 63 Posts