Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 341 Posts

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

v

UEFA Champions League: Wed 21st May, Moscow

Well this is it, SAF has got another crack at the trophy which is the Holy Grail in his eyes and we go into this as back to back Champions of England with a surprisingly clean bill of health(touch wood) and no suspensions. All the players were happy about winning the league again but Moscow was in the back of the minds of everyone and these finals don't come along too often so i'm pretty confident the lads will do the job here.

Losing to Chelsea with a depleted side out at the Bridge last month won't be as significant as some people think it'll be, for me it's rather what went on after the game that will leave a bad taste in the mouths of the United lads. And after the loss in the FA Cup final to this lot last season all the motivation is there.

It's 50 years since the Munich Tragedy and it's quite fitting United reached the European Cup Final on this half century. We will do the memory of the babes proud and Giggsy will celebrate becoming the most capped United player with a European Cup, 1-0 to United and Giggsy scoring is my brave, final prediction.

Don't let us down lads. :hopeful:

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
LETS FVCK EM UP

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like Terry will be playing after all, could be quite risky

Terry revealed: “I’ve dislocated the elbow and I’m disappointed about that but they popped it back into place before I got to hospital.

“The good news is there are no broken bones. It should take three or four days to heal so, hopefully, I’ll be OK for Moscow.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Anyone got an update on the Drogba Injury?

I believe we can win, but we need to try and make an impression on the game early. In recent games vs Chelsea we have let them dictate terms to us, sitting behind the ball and letting them come at us.

As Fergie said, they really are a very professional, experianced squad with some massive names who are at the peak of there game - Essien and Drogba are the keys for them; Power & Class wrapped in one.

If united can get on top early, using our wide players a lot better than we have in the last month then we can win; But surely the bookies favourites would be chelsea?

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
Of course United will be the favourites. We just won the league, so that is a no brainer.

Will take a win in any form. Hopefully we go at them from the beginning, and don't let them dominate, because physically they are superior by far.

3-0 United:D.

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Evra is all but guaranteed a place in the starting line-up in Moscow — along with Edwin van der Sar, Wes Brown, Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic, Michael Carrick, Paul Scholes, Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney. The remaining two places, are likely to be contested by Giggs, Owen Hargreaves, Park Ji Sung and Carlos Tévez, but Ferguson has suggested that his most difficult decisions will concern the identity of his seven substitutes.

“It’s terrible,” the United manager said. “The hardest part won’t be leaving players out of the team. It will be leaving players off the bench. At Wigan, we had to leave out players like O’Shea, Fletcher and Anderson. [But] someone has to make a decision and that’s the manager’s job.”
That's the few disadvantages of having a fully fit squad, breaking the terrible news to the guys who won't even make the bench.

Saha forexample who has done very little for us in this competition getting in the squad ahead of Anderson would be really harsh. I hope we see the Brazilian on the bench at least.

This would be my 18.

Van Der Sar, Kuzczsak, Brown, Rio, Vidic, Evra, O'Shea, Hargreaves, Carrick, Anderson Scholes, Ji Sung Park, Ronaldo, Nani, Giggs, Tevez, Saha, Rooney.

Fletch, Pique Silvestre, Nev, Welbeck Simpson and Heaton missing out, unless i'm forgetting somebody else in the CL 25 man squad. Saha probably doesn't deserve to be there but he's the only out and out striker we have in the squad so he must be there. SAF will probably go for another defender in there although I think Hargreaves as RB back up and O'Shea as the versatile one is enough for the bench. Would be messed up if Anderson missed out for another defender.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
------Tevez--Rooney--Ronaldo
----Carrick--Hargreves--Scholes
Evra-----Vidic-----Ferdinand---Brown
---------------VDS

Bench: Kuzczsak, Giggsy, Anderson, O'Shite, Saha, Nani, Fletcher.

That'd be my team. Anderson on the bench as we need a ball winner against Chelsea's physical strong midfield (whichever it is, as Makelele, Ballack, and Essien are dominant kunts). Nonetheless, he'll surely feature on it. Has to.

Fletcher might come into play, considering his performances in big games. Nani might lose out, considering Fergie prefers Park. Saha has to be there (being our only striker), and imagine him scoring a winner. I'd shut up with the sicknote stuff forever:D

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
One of Park, Nani and Anderson is not going to make it. :moan:

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I think fergie will surprise everyone by starting saha and rooney upfront.
My old man was saying the exact same thing.

SAF always pulls one out of the hat..

So it wouldnt suprise me if park starts - or even fletcher

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I reckon Sir Alex will go with Rooney up fron on his own with Ronaldo and Park supporting. For some reason fergie loves playing Park in the CL games.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I have a feeling Tevez will be on the bench as Sir A likes to hold things back for emergencies.

With chelski going gung ho seldom works so I would expect a more conservative team. Possibility of seeing Carrick, Scholes and Heargreaves in the CM? 2 out of those three have won the CL so it wouldnt be the worst thing in the world.

I would imagine CR on one wing and Giggs/Park on the other with Rooney up front on his own. Mixture of experience/old heads for the big game. this is a once off so ability is sometimes sacrificed for experience.

Saha is an interesting one. If he is fit I would fancy Tevez having a better chance of starting (with saha being the plan B on the bench).

I think Chelski are there for the taking and that United should be favourates. While we trailed off a bit at the end of the season, we were the superior team all year, played tougher games to the final and have a better team. Of course CL finals dont always go the way they should!!!!

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
please please please please beat that pathetic excuse for a football club, i cant bare it if chelski when the champs cup. They are a horrible team

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
just make sure it is better than last seasons Cup Final, or the Liga and Serie A fans will never shut the f*ck up about it.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
just make sure it is better than last seasons Cup Final, or the Liga and Serie A fans will never shut the f*ck up about it.
They can talk.

Borefest 0v0 in 2003 (arguably the worst game in the history of the sport)
and one sided slaughtering in 00! (has a team ever frozen as badly as Valencia in a final, lambs to the slaughter!!!)

Speaking of fans who are full of their own importance , ;) Would it be fair to call it ironic that Liverpool were involved in one of the most entertaining finals in recent history (3-3) given the miserable football they have puked on us all in the Premier league since its inception!

·
Registered
13,916 Posts
I think fergie will surprise everyone by starting saha and rooney upfront.
After seeing him on the bech against Wigan, the exact same thing popped in to my head the other day.

I really would not be shocked.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Lol at Evras comments:

"I went to the Champions League Final in a Fiat with Monaco, now I'm going to Moscow in a Ferrari with Manchester United," is the Frenchman's analogy. "But even if you're in a Ferrari, you still have to make sure you drive it well. So we will have to play well against Chelsea if we want to win."

Source: http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={B4CEE8FA-9A47-47BC-B069-3F7A2F35DB70}&newsid=3969393

·
Third Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
4,100 Posts
It would be a shame for whoever is left out, since Saha has done nothing to get us to Moscow.

1 - 20 of 341 Posts