Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

v

UEFA Champions League: Wed, 29th Apr, Old Trafford

The chance to become the first team to defend the European Cup successfully under its new edition is still alive and the next team in our path are our familiar old foes Arsenal. It's our first meeting against a fellow English side in this competition so in that sense it will be interesting to see how these games will differe from the Premier League games that have always been very entertaining affairs.

We looked a devastating force going forward in the 2nd half against Spurs this past weekend and Tevez's performance in particular won't have gone unnoticed to Sir Alex so with Giggsy and Anderson fully rested it wouldn't surprise me if Dimitar was to get the chop for this one, he did very well against Spurs but Tevez just galvanised the whole team and it's that sort of drive we'll need on Wednesday.

Evra for me is the main worry , his confidence is in absolute tatters and his direct opponent in this game will be Theo Walcott and he is unforgiving on the counters or if you stand off him which Evra seems to enjoy doing these days. Unless he sorts himself out I don't see us getting a clean sheet sadly.

Arsenal will be missing Van Persie, Gallas, Clichy and the cup tied Arshavin so thats a boost to us but we must not underestimate them, they are still a very good side that can put together a move at any given moment.

My prediction for this one would be 3-1, Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez grabbing the goals for us. :thumbsup: :hopeful:

Special mention to Ryan Giggs, this will be his 800th game in our wonderful shirt and here's hoping for another 100. :proud:

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
We can't conceed an away goal, it's important for us to score a couple. I have no doubt we can score at the Emirates, but Arsenal are more than capable of getting something.

·
Banned
564 Posts
4-2 to United
Ronaldo
Rooney x2
Vidic

·
Registered
653 Posts
Most of the time, evra is chasing his man as he has to come back to defend once we lose possession. He probably needs to cut down a little on his attacking intentions. He needs to be like a benitezque fullback. Staying close to his man all the time and kicking him repeatedly from the back :). This would especially be handy if you are marking a player like, walcott or lennon or messi. Do not give them time to turn and cross.

·
Registered
13,916 Posts
ATTACK, ATTACK.... ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK!!!!!!

·
Registered
741 Posts
We conceded silly fvcking goals last night I just hope it's a slap in the face and we tighten up. Be interesting to see what line-up United go for. FVCKING RIP INTO THOSE CVNTS!

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
I think this will be another high-scoring, screw defence, thriller.

I'm going to be crazy and say 5-3 United. :D

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I'm so glad United was able to come from behind to beat Spurs. Now the team has some momentum on its side.

Hopefully United can score at least 2 and not concede.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
Hope we smash them. I think they will score, but I so fancy us to score at the Emirates as well.

Corners could be very decisive for us, as they suck at them. So one has to hope that the tall players, Ronaldo, Ferdinand, Vidic and Berbatov take their chances from corners, if the delivery is good.

I would just go for a full attacking formation, with the best available attacking players, because no matter the team that will be fielded, there will be stages in the game where it is end to end stuff; it always happens against Arsenal. So in that case, I'd rather have a Tevez/Giggs/Nani in the attacking area, rather than Park.

But saying that, with Walcott playing, Park starting on the left could be a huge possibility.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Looking really forward to facing your lot. I can't really see any side running away with it, unless confidence and form (in)conveniently flies out the window.

I'm hoping Potato Head doesn't start and Wenger plays Djourou and Kolo at the back. Gibbs is going to be tested with Ronaldo his main opponent. I'm expecting Ronaldo to run all over him really. Although, Eboue could start left back, but I doubt it.

I expect us to field a 4-5-1 with Ade up top by himself.

I think it will be 1-1 or 2-1 to your lot.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I don't think this game will be tight at all. Both teams have been leaking goals recently, and both teams have been scoring goals as well. Its a shame that players like Arshavin and van Persie are out, but there is still enough firepower to cause the United defence trouble.

I'm worried about Ronaldo in this game. Gibbs is likely to start and Ronaldo could run him ragged all game if he is on his game. Evra has been poor recently, but what I have noticed is that when someone has pace, Walcott doesn't tend to do as good. That battle will be interesting though.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
I hope we put this one to bed in the first half so we can give the reserves a good run out.

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
VDS

Brown/O'Shea
Rio
Vidic
Evra

Ronaldo
Fletcher
Giggs
Anderson
Park

Rooney

Just have a feeling he'll leave Carrick out to use Park in a 451 formation instead, we can't waste Rooney on the left to protect Evra as we need him to be running at Arsenal's defence and not being too bothered about Walcott.

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
VDS

Brown/O'Shea
Rio
Vidic
Evra

Ronaldo
Fletcher
Giggs
Anderson
Park

Rooney

Just have a feeling he'll leave Carrick out to use Park in a 451 formation instead, we can't waste Rooney on the left to protect Evra as we need him to be running at Arsenal's defence and not being too bothered about Walcott.
You can't do that with him there on his own. He's better off on the left if anything.

·
Registered
13,916 Posts
I reckon he'll go for it.

Van Der Sar
O'Shea
Ferdinand
Vidic
Evra
Carrick
Anderson
Giggs
Ronaldo
Berbatov
Rooney

Start out as a 4-3-3 but with the personnel there we can easily change to a 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 if we need to get a hold of the game at any point.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts