• Park

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Away from the pressures of the Premiership we are back in European action in a group we're basically through to the last 16 in and this game is basically all about deciding who finishes top of the group. I'm personally not too fussed whether we finish 1st or 2nd. I just want us to avoid injuries as we have a much more important game on Sunday at Man City.

Ronaldo went off slightly injured at Villa and is reportedly not being risked for this one which is smart, Berbatov is already out so team selection should be interesting given the absentees and the huge game on Sunday.

Note: Villarreal lost 3-0 to Vallodolid this past weekend, no idea what sort of team they put out.

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

RONALDO DOUBT FOR VILLAREAL CLASH

Cristiano Ronaldo could miss Tuesday's Champions League game with Villarreal.

The Manchester United star limped out of Saturday night's 0-0 draw with Aston Villa in the closing stages with a leg injury.

Manager Sir Alex Ferguson said: "His leg is in a mess. He is doubtful for Tuesday."

United could have cut the deficit to six points after Chelsea and Liverpool were both held earlier in the day but a run of 14 successive victories over Villa came to and end.

Martin O'Neill's side defended well and deservedly ended their long-losing sequence against the Red Devils.

Ferguson continued: "I thought we were the better team apart from a 15-minute spell at half-time when Villa got the ball into our box from free-kicks and corners and caused a lot of problems.

"Apart from that, we weren't in danger. I was pleased with the effort we put in against an aggressive and determined team who defended for their lives.

"Our possession was good and we created the chances. Wayne Rooney and Ji-Sung Park had good chances.
"With the amount of possession we had at the end I thought another chance must come along but they held on."

(sportinglife)

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why so angry, the game isn't more important than Sunday's game.

I'd have rested Ronaldo even if he was fully fit.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
I dont care about finishing 1st or 2nd, I am confident in this team that we will blast away whoever we face in the second round, even if it is a big team. Bring em on.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Why so angry, the game isn't more important than Sunday's game.

I'd have rested Ronaldo even if he was fully fit.
I agree....we just need a draw.i think ronaldo can be rested.

My starting 11......

-------------Foster----------------

---Rafael-------vidic---rio----evra----

-----------carrick---fletcher------------------

------nani--------------------------park-----------

------------------rooney---tevez--------------

Iam a bit worried that we are lacking options as CM with owen and scholes out.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I'd like to see Anderson and Fletcher starting as our midfield paring. That is my favourite midfield combo even when everyone is fit. But its hard to drop Carrick at the moment as he is our only fit and experienced centre mid.

Other players that I really want to see starting:
Rafael
Tevez
Nani

I think they all should start tho.

Id really like us to win this one. Would like to finish 1st and would be a good boost for the game against Shitty. Plus Im over drawing to these f*ckers!

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
I agree....we just need a draw.i think ronaldo can be rested.
just a draw, okay. But you can´t always speculate that it will be a draw when you only need that. One shit goal and you can simply lose a match. So I definetely won´t rest players, I´d still play the best team. ´Cause it´s CL .

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
Never play for a draw.

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
He travelled with the team.

RONALDO MAKES UNITED TRIP
Posted 24/11/08 13:30

Cristiano Ronaldo travelled out with the rest of the Manchester United squad to Spain ahead of the Champions League match against Villarreal.

The Portugal winger was considered doubtful after suffering a leg injury in the draw at Aston Villa on Saturday.

However, he trained with the group on Monday morning and showed no ill effects from his knock and looks likely to feature at some stage in the match.

Darren Fletcher also trained after missing the game against Villa because of a knee problem.

Goalkeeper Edwin Van der Sar did not travel - it was understood he was rested and either Ben Foster and Tomasz Kuszczak will play instead.

United will be without Dimitar Berbatov (hamstring) and Wes Brown (ankle) as well as long-term injury victims Paul Scholes and Owen Hargreaves.

Man Utd (from): Foster, Kuszczak, Rafael, O'Shea, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evans, Evra, Ronaldo, Park, Anderson, Fletcher, Carrick, Giggs, Nani, Rooney, Tevez, Possebon, Gibson, Manucho.

football365.co.uk

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Villarreal are in poor form, with their latest result being 0-3 at home against valladolid. You should win this one

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
I'd like to see Anderson and Fletcher starting as our midfield paring. That is my favourite midfield combo even when everyone is fit. But its hard to drop Carrick at the moment as he is our only fit and experienced centre mid.

Agree that Fletch has been terrific for us. But carrick is our Best CM in the absence of Scholes.

If we get into confortable position in this match, we can give carrick a bit of rest and bring on ANdersson for some time.

But I want andersson to play against citeh so that he can Own Ireland.:fero:

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Never play for a draw.
I agree. But what i mean is this is not a MUST win game for us or some thing like that. besides i think even with out Ronaldo we should win this game.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Boss ponders Ronaldo dilemma

Sir Alex Ferguson has a decision to make regarding Cristiano Ronaldo ahead of Tuesday's clash with Villarreal - a contest that could help decide the European champions' last 16 fate.

The boss wants to rest his Portuguese winger given the ankle knocks he received during Saturday's stalemate at Aston Villa. But the Ronaldo wants to play.

"That gives me a problem," admitted Sir Alex at his pre-match press conference from the team hotel in Valencia, where the Reds have set up base. "I'd rather leave him out, but he wants to play. Players that show that enthusiasm for playing football, you don’t deter it. You encourage it."

The boss has already made one big selection call - opting for Tomasz Kuszczak in goal ahead of Ben Foster. First-choice keeper Edwin van der Sar did not fly to Spain. Also absent from the travelling 20 were Dimitar Berbatov, Gary Neville and Danny Welbeck, plus long-term injured pair Owen Hargreaves and Paul Scholes.

“We’ve been trying to give our other goalkeepers experience," Sir Alex added. "There isn't any better experience than playing in an away European tie. It’s a matter of judging the right type of occasions where you can introduce other players. We won’t have Neville, Berbatov, Brown, so circumstances dictate the side I'll pick."

The Reds want a win against Villarreal to clinch top spot in Group E and hopefully a more favourable draw for the last 16 round in February. Group winners play against the runners-up from another group.

United's squad: Foster, Kuszczak; Evra, Rafael, O'Shea, J.Evans, Ferdinand, Vidic; Fletcher, Possebon, Anderson, Carrick, Ronaldo, Park, Nani, Gibson, Giggs; Rooney, Tevez, Manucho.

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
Rooney learning from the best :proud: He still has someway until he becomes as good as Ronaldo thought

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
0-0 FT. Red card at the end on Capdevilla was very harsh,, it was maybe a yellow card, but a red was very, very harsh

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
ah, we're through ( more or less) thats the main thing. Still would have liked to see Tevez come on earlier but............

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Again FRUSTRATING. Why are we not just winning these games instead of going for a 'professional' performance in a draw.

Tevez's snub was a bit of a kick in the face, having him ready to come on 15 minutes to go then telling him to go and sit back down and only giving him 6 minutes.

·
Registered
41,681 Posts
The usual suspects did it for us, again, I'm afraid.

O'Shit - Shouldn't be even as close as the bench. He made like a dozen errors, but one that stands out, for me, is when he was in a similar position to Rafa (when Rafa scored his goal) and passed it to nobody. Seriosuly I can't think of one good play he made.
Fletcher - Sorry to say but he was awful tonight. Should have scored his goal and gave the ball away soooo many times.
Park - I'm baffled as to why he plays for the English and European Champions. Surely we should have someone better than him to come off the bench? I mean, jeeze, he sometimes even starts :confused:

Get rid/replace those three with some talented kids (ala Wenger) and we will be OK. Honestly I hate those guys (even Fletch, who's semi-redeemed himself last 12 months). Just get rid, please.

Other than that, we're through, Celtic suck, so no complaints really.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts