Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

v

UEFA Champions League: Tue 21st Oct, Old Trafford

5 wins on the bounce, with 11 goals in the last 4 games and none conceded it's fair to say we've shaken off yet another dodgy start to the season. Celtic are the next visitors to Old Trafford and with us dropping 2 home points already in Europe this is a must win. The Scottish champions disgustingly stole a win in our last encounter which was at Celtic Park but in the corresponding fixture 2 years ago at OT they also gave us a few problems but we've come a long way since then and you could argue they've regressed. Based on what i've seen anyway. :angel:

Probable team news? I wouldn't dare guess, but surely Carrick is back for this one after narrowly missing out on facing WBA. Tevez and Anderson should have recovered from their trips to South America as well.

We'll be too strong for them and Rooney will continue his recent fine form with a brace in a 2-0 win for United. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
disgustingly stole a win in our last encounter which was at Celtic Park
what a frustrating night that was, when saha was one on one with GK but though he was offside then wasting that penalty :mad:

is Nakamura playing :scared:? nah were gonna crush them god willing.

-----------VDS-----------

--brown--rio--vida--evra--

---------anderson---------

--ronaldo--carrick--nanni---

-----------rooney----------

------------berba----------

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Evra is doubtful for the match after going off with harmstring injury....i guess Oshea will start. also carrick may not start and be on the bench for this one.

any news on Owen ??

MY line up

----------------------VDS---------------

-----Gary---------Rio----Vidic-----Oshea--------

--------------Fletcher-----andersson------------

-----------Ronaldo----Rooney----tevez-----

--------------------berba------------------------

If carrick starts, then we may see 4-3-3 with one of the 4 forwards on the bench.

prediction 2-0 to united..rooney and ronaldo with the goals.....

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And the "one of the 4" would be Tevez again I fear.
What the hell are you talking about. the only reason Tevez didnt play v WBA is because of jet lag.

He's started the majority of our games this season and only been on the bench twice since Berbs came. Competition is good and Tevez is a fighter so he'll welcome the challenge if Ferguson keeps on picking only 2 forwards.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
ahh why the argument....let all the 4 play.and beat them 4-0...every one will be happy:smileani:

·
Registered
13,916 Posts
Just seen the CL press conference:

Evra's out. He won't be risked because of the hamstring injury but he should be back for Everton.

Ronaldo could be rested with Nani coming in. Ferie spoke to CQ on Saturday morning before the West Brom game, and CQ reckons he's struggling playing two games in a week while he's regaining his fitness.

Ferie was asked about the the selection headache he has with Rooney being on top form, Berbatov finding his feet and the availability of Tevez. He replied by saying for the past couple of weeks he's been thinking about playing all three together with one of them playing in behind. Of course all three did play together at Anfield with Rooney on the right but there's absolutely no way Rooney will be shunted to the right the way he's playing right now.

And, as you probably know, Anderson is back.

After hearing that, I couldn't really guess what the team will be for tomorrow.

·
Registered
13,916 Posts
Preview:

Since bursting on to the scene in Euro 2004, Wayne Rooney has constantly struggled to replicate such exhilarating form for Manchester United and England.

Sure, there have been many noteworthy moments in the intervening years, but the selfless nature of his play has all too often seen him utilised in a deeper role for the good of the team.

This work ethic saw the ex-Everton man playing a supporting role for Cristiano Ronaldo last season as the Portuguese ran rampant, driving the Red Devils all the way to their double Champions League and Premiership successes.

However, 2008/09 has seen an upturn in fortunes for Rooney. The watershed mark came in the Premier League match against Bolton Wanderers in September.

After being dropped in favour of Carlos Tevez, he came on as a late substitute, grabbing a goal of the highest calibre to open his account for the campaign.

Rooney hasn’t looked back since, scoring a cracking volley against Blackburn Rovers and orchestrating the destruction of West Bromwich Albion at the weekend with the opener and two assists, as well as taking his tally to five goals in four World Cup qualifying matches for England.

Such explosive performances has seen Rooney rightly hailing his current form as the best of his life, with the song from the Old Trafford terraces hailing him as the ‘White Pele’ once again taking on a (small) degree of truth.

The England firebrand takes this red hot scoring streak in to Tuesday’s game against Celtic joined by the superstar duo of Ronaldo and Dimitar Berbatov after their goals at the weekend.

With each game the relationship between the Bulgarian and Rooney in particular seems to be improving, meaning the coming weeks should see the duo leave an ever more deadly path of destruction in their wake.

Away Day Anguish

It may be one of the Champions League’s most over-used statistics, but it really is impossible to do this preview without mentioning Celtic’s atrocious away form in the competition.

The Bhoys have only managed to claim a paltry one point from 16 games on their European travels, with their last outing seeing them continue this terrible run by losing 1-0 to Villarreal C.F. in Spain.

Gordon Strachan’s side were completely outclassed in this contest, with the narrow score line not accurately reflecting El Submarino Amarillo’s superiority.

When you consider that Celtic’s recent history in the competition includes home wins against sides such as Olympique Lyonnais, Benfica, Juventus, F.C. Barcelona, A.C. Milan and Tuesday’s hosts Manchester United, then this abysmal away record seems all the more perplexing.

The huge task facing Gordon Strachan to overturn this abnormality against the Red Devils has grown even larger in recent days due to the lengthy Celtic injury list.

The canny Scotsman will be without powerhouse strikers Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink and Georgios Samaras, as well as Kiwi front man Chris Killen. The Celtic boss was also left counting the cost of the weekend’s 2-1 win against Inverness after first choice centre half Gary Caldwell and exciting Spanish midfielder Marc Crosas picked up injuries to potentially join German international right back Andreas Hinkel stranded back home in Glasgow.

Celtic will thus be looking to Japanese magician Shunsuke Nakamura to conjure up the kind of match winning free kick he registered the last time the side’s met in Europe, as well as dangerous Australian striker Scott McDonald replicating his goal scoring heroics in the competition against sides of the quality of A.C. Milan for the Hoops to stand any chance of registering the kind of morale boosting result that will ignite their faltering Group E hopes.

FORM GUIDE

Manchester United

18th October vs. West Bromwich Albion (H) won 4-0 (PREM)
4th October vs. Blackburn Rovers (A) won 2-0 (PREM)
30th September vs. Aalborg BK (A) won 3-0 (CHAMP LG)
27th September vs. Bolton Wanderers (H) won 2-0 (PREM)
23rd September vs. Middlesbrough (H) won 3-1 (CARLING CUP)

Celtic

18th October vs. Inverness Caledonian Thistle (A) won 2-1 (SCOT PREM)
4th October vs. Hamilton Academical (H) won 4-0 (SCOT PREM)
30th September vs. Villarreal C.F. (A) lost 1-0 (CHAMP LG)
27th September vs. Aberdeen (H) won 3-2 (SCOT PREM)
23rd September vs. Livingston (H) won 4-0 (CO-OP CUP)

TEAM NEWS

Manchester United

Patrice Evra’s (hamstring) early exit against West Brom at the weekend places significant doubts over his participation against Celtic. This game should also come too soon for Michael Carrick (knee) and Owen Hargreaves (knee). These players should join Paul Scholes (knee) on the Old Trafford treatment table. In better news, Anderson and Carlos Tevez will return to the United squad after their late returns from international duty.

Last starting XI (vs. West Bromwich Albion): Van Der Sar, Rafael Da Silva (Neville 65), Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra (O'Shea 36), Ronaldo, Fletcher, Giggs, Park (Nani 70), Berbatov, Rooney.
Subs Not Used: Kuszczak, Brown, Evans, Gibson.

Squad: Van Der Sar, Kuszczak, Foster, Rafael Da Silva, Neville, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, O'Shea, Brown, Evans, Gibson, Ronaldo, Fletcher, Giggs, Park, Nani, Anderson, Tevez, Berbatov, Rooney, Welbeck.

Celtic

Gordon Strachan faces a selection crisis for the trip to Manchester with strikers Georgios Samaras (cartilage), Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink (groin) and Chris Killen (knee) all out of the game. These forwards will be joined on the sidelines by right back Andreas Hinkel (thigh), whilst injuries picked up by Gary Caldwell (foot) and Marc Crosas (hamstring) against Inverness at the weekend have placed serious doubts over their chances of facing the Champions League holders. Australian hot shot Scott McDonald should play even though he is struggling for peak match fitness.

Last starting XI (vs. Inverness): Boruc, Caldwell (Wilson 64), McManus, Loovens, Naylor, McGeady, Scott Brown, Crosas (Hartley 90), Robson, McDonald (Sheridan 64), Maloney. Subs Not Used: Mark Brown, McCourt, Nakamura, O'Dea.

Squad: Boruc, Mark Brown, Caldwell, Wilson, Perrier-Doumbé, O'Dea, Baldé, McManus, Loovens, Caddis, Naylor, McGeady, Scott Brown, Donati, Crosas, Hartley, Robson, McCourt, Nakamura, McDonald, Sheridan, Maloney.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Manchester United: There are few players in the world in better form than Wayne Rooney. This weekend saw Rooney as the inspiration behind United’s win, scoring the opening goal and setting up Cristiano Ronaldo and Nani in the 4-0 rout of West Brom. The ex-Everton man now has eight goals in his last six games for club and country, meaning the Celtic back line should be in for a tough night on Tuesday.

Celtic: The hopes of all Hoops fans will be on Scott McDonald rediscovering the goal scoring touch of last season. The Australian international has faced severe criticism in recent weeks due to a supposedly expanding waistline and a lack of match fitness. McDonald must strive to cast away these doubts on Tuesday night as he will be the only experienced striker available to Gordon Strachan.

PREDICTION

The signs were ominous at the weekend for Celtic’s chances of casting aside their away day blues in Europe.

Whilst a depleted Bhoys side were struggling to beat Inverness, Cristiano Ronaldo, Dimitar Berbatov, and Wayne Rooney were all getting on the score sheet in Manchester United’s emphatic victory over West Brom’.

This deadly trio should be too strong for Gordon Strachan’s team as well, giving the Red Devils their first home win in the Champions League this year.

Manchester United 2-0 Celtic

Matthew Monaghan

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=920668

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
See this...

"We may rest Ronaldo" - Fergue

"Ronaldo may be Axed" - Goal.com

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
See this...

"We may rest Ronaldo" - Fergue

"Ronaldo may be Axed" - Goal.com
It is not compulsory to visit goal.com, Satish.

I would imagine everyone knows now the sort of quality writing there is on that site so just steer clear.

After hearing Fergie's press conference yesterday this is what i'd go with tonight;

Edwin

Neville
Ferdinand
Vidic
O'Shea :(

Nani
Anderson
Fletcher
Giggs

Rooney
Berbatov

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
Play 4231 or if not that, at least 433, as it has to be Carlitos in attack too:(.

Ideally midfield/attack:

---------------Berbatov
--------Tevez--Rooney--Nani
----------Anderson-Fletcher

Celtic have not improved since the last time we met them. Sure we are light in central midfield, but Anderson is back and Fletcher has been consistent recently. If Fergie doesn't feck around but just makes the team attack, we should trounce them, as they're p1sh.

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
shit, I planned to add Ronaldo in my Fantasy Team finally. See it comming: If I add him he´s rested, if I don´t he´s playing?! LOL

·
Registered
13,916 Posts
It is not compulsory to visit goal.com, Satish.

I would imagine everyone knows now the sort of quality writing there is on that site so just steer clear.
Oi, kunto, I go on there (obviously):D

Although I only go on there for form guides, injury news etc if I fancy a cheeky bet, not for the exhilarating writing.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oi, kunto, I go on there (obviously):D

Although I only go on there for form guides, injury news etc if I fancy a cheeky bet, not for the exhilarating writing.
I go there too, for similar reasons as yourself. :angel: :D It's really not worth it for anything else.

Complete joke of a website though overall though. Their 'opinion' articles are a complete car crash of articles.

@ Drito;

It's a possibility we may go with all 3 but given past statements by Fergie I really don't see it. He's a bit of a tease sometimes.

·
Third Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
4,100 Posts
Van Der Sar
Neville - Vidic - Evans - O'Shea
Ronaldo - Anderson - Fletcher - Nani
Berbatov - Rooney​

No Tevez and no Rio? Hmm...

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Playing quite well 1-0 HT. Ronaldo looks much happier in this game then he has of late when he seemed to be sulking, Nani is having a good game. Berba and Rooney look great together again

1 - 20 of 56 Posts