Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
Ranieri wary of Hiddink effect

Saturday 21 February, 2009

Claudio Ranieri admits he would have preferred taking on Chelsea with Phil Scolari still at the helm.

“When a Coach leaves, there is always the desire to fight back and prove the critics wrong,” explained the Juventus boss after watching Guus Hiddink’s debut win at Aston Villa.

“Today they had another tempo to their game. We know that we are facing a tank, one of the contenders for the Final, but we are going there to play our football with humility and also the belief we can do well.

“I don’t meant to criticise Scolari, but I would always play two strikers like [Didier] Drogba and [Nicolas] Anelka. Having said that, people keep telling me I should field a trident, so there are always complaints!

“I watched Chelsea today and noticed Hiddink has given the team a good way of keeping possession and more cross-field passes.”

Ranieri had time to view the Premiership match ahead of tonight’s 2-0 Serie A victory away to Palermo.

“We played well against a tough opponent. The first half was exceptional from both sides, while in the second half we had good bursts of play, but should’ve dealt with the ball better, especially on counter-attacks.”

David Trezeguet marked his full comeback with a goal set up by Amauri, silencing critics who said the two forwards could not form a partnership.

“There is absolutely no problem in them playing together,” insisted Ranieri.

Mauro Camoranesi is also back from injury, but seemed very tired and could barely keep up with the Palermo players.

“Camoranesi has just returned and is not the player we all know, but he is improving. The only way he can gain match fitness is by playing.

“Recently we had been conceding too many goals and could not perform the right movement. The first thing I asked the lads was to see defence and midfield very close together and acting as a unit.”

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
Match this wed. live on ART sports for arab watchers, @ 9:45 PM Egyptian time.

FORZA GRANDE JUVE! hopefully we score there in England, if we don't score, we will be out, simple as that, we usually concede and risking a 0-0 or 1-0 win for Chelsea to take back in Italy is very dangerous.

·
Registered
17,740 Posts
Hopefully we finally break our English curse.

Forza Juve e Avanti Signora!

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Looking forward to this..even if trez anc amo are not fully fit, at least they are there to offer something if need be.

Del piero and Amauri will start upfront. not sure who will partner momo in the middle but we know camo and nedved will take the wings. toobig of a game for ranieri to gamble giovinco starting. Although Giovinco will definitely surprise Chelsea if he was played.

I'd be happy with a draw, but we must score..a 0-0 result will leave us with a problem in the return leg.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I'm drunk. My puppy is being a brat. What else to say? This match will be very uneasy for me. I am actually not looking forward to it.

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
Sissoko picks Chelsea apart

Sunday 22 February, 2009

Momo Sissoko scored a cracker against Palermo and is convinced Juventus can give Chelsea a run for their money.

“I am very happy, I scored a great goal and this is a very important victory,” he said of the 2-0 result in Sicily.

“I felt a little twinge in my foot and that’s why I asked to come off, but now I just need to rest a little and recuperate so that I can put in a good performance against Chelsea.”

Guus Hiddink won on his debut with the Blues on Saturday and is already changing the face of the team.

“They are a great side, but if we go to Stamford Bridge with the right spirit and play our brand of football, we can win,” smiled Sissoko.

“They have quality players, but if we remain compact, like we did against Real Madrid, then we can achieve something remarkable.

“I think Hiddink will play a 4-4-2 with [Nicolas] Anelka and [Didier] Drogba upfront. They are two very dangerous forwards.”

Juve topped their group in qualifying by beating Real Madrid both home and away, so hope to take another scalp in the knockout round.

This is Sissoko’s first European experience with the Juventus jersey, but he is an old hand thanks to his time at Liverpool.

“I left because I wanted to play and learn something new.”

·
minasstr f posterior
10,246 Posts
Do not delete this thread and start another: it would jinx you.

:howler::howler::howler:

how da hell du dey evn let u live in torino????

and ur answrz gonna b: dere r no juve supportrz in torino , rite ? :D

anyhw i hope juve go thru ........... del piero magic again plz :thumbsup:

·
Registered
34,471 Posts
blue-win, black-draw, red-loss

29.09.1965, CC, Juventus-Liverpool 1-0
13.10.1965, CC, Liverpool-Juventus 2-0
28.05.1971, UC, Juventus-Leeds United 2-2
03.06.1971, UC, Leeds United-Juventus 1-1
07.03.1972, UC, Juventus-Wolverhampton 1-1
22.03.1972, UC, Wolverhampton-Juventus 2-1
11.04.1973, CL, Juventus-Derby County 3-1
25.04.1973, CL, Derby County-Juventus 0-0
15.09.1976, UC, Manchester City-Juventus 1-0
29.09.1976, UC, Juventus-Manchester City 2-0
20.10.1976, UC, Manchester United-Juventus 1-0
03.11.1976, UC, Juventus-Manchester United 3-0
09.04.1980, CC, Arsenal-Juventus 1-1
23.04.1980, CC, Juventus-Arsenal 0-1
02.03.1983, CL, Aston Villa-Juventus 1-2
16.03.1983, CL, Juventus-Aston Villa 3-1
11.04.1984, CC, Manchester United-Juventus 1-1
25.04.1984, CC, Juventus-Manchester United 2-1
16.01.1985, ES, Juventus-Liverpool 2-0
29.05.1985, CL, Liverpool-Juventus 0-1
11.09.1996, CL, Juventus-Manchester United 1-0
20.11.1996, CL, Manchester United-Juventus 0-1
01.10.1997, CL, Manchester United-Juventus 3-2
10.12.1997, CL, Juventus-Manchester United 1-0
07.04.1999, CL, Manchester United-Juventus 1-1
21.04.1999, CL, Juventus-Manchester United 2-3
04.12.2001, CL, Arsenal-Juventus 3-1
20.03.2002, CL, Juventus-Arsenal 1-0
01.10.2002, CL, Juventus-Newcastle 2-0
23.10.2002, CL, Newcastle-Juventus 1-0
19.02.2003, CL, Manchester United-Juventus 2-1
25.02.2003, CL, Juventus-Manchester United 0-3
05.04.2005, CL, Liverpool-Juventus 2-1
13.04.2005, CL, Juventus-Liverpool 0-0
28.03.2006, CL, Arsenal-Juventus 2-0
05.04.2006, CL, Juventus-Arsenal 0-0

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Basically, Juventus hasn't beaten English opposition in the CL since 2002 and that was against Newcastle. The win against Arsenal was offset over the 2 legs.

Basically we haven't beaten English opposition in a knock out stage since 1997 against Manchester United. That is 12 years!

Understandably, you have to assume Chelsea are favourites especially since they were finalists last year only to be beaten on penalties and still have many more quality players on paper than we do.

I think we have a 40% chance of progressing realistically. Its for Chelsea to lose, not for us to win.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Actually come to think of it, we are likely to see a classic counter attacking style against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. This is going to be difficult to sustain especially as Hiddink is going to play with 2 center forwards.

I predict a match where Chelsea have 60%+ possession and constantly bombard our goal. They will end up winning by 1 or 2 goals.

Hope I am wrong.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Chelsea 0 - 2 Juventus.

Del Piero will score in each half, causing Chelsea players to walk off the pitch. hiddink will then get sacked after the match.

2nd leg will finish 0-0 and Juve will be happily through to the quarter finals.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I predict 2-2 in London.
FORZA Juve.
Cant wait!!

·
MVP
8,990 Posts
Did anyone watch their last match - Aston Villa 0-1 Chelsea ?

Villa play 4-4-2 for most of the game, and Ashley Young (extremely pacey winger) gave Alex alot of trouble in defense. Peter Cech was very solid too, made some good saves.

For the first part of the 2nd half Villa improved their game, and had some half/chances against Peter Cech. I think the substitution bringing on John Carew (4-3-3) made matters worse though, and Chelsea managed to hold on to their lead.

Basically - my impression from their last match, is that they look very very difficult to break down. You need to rely on speed, thru-passing, and some creativity to score against these guys. Forget crosses, Terry, Ferreira, Alex are all their to clear it out...that's if Cech doesn't catch it.

And I know Juve will be relying on wing-play. I foresee a very frustrating match from a Juve-fan perspective.

Let's see what happens...

·
Registered
46,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Amr, why oh why have you deleted the black cat? haven't you read Poe? This game is now jinxed! :wallbang:

I'm a good fellow and want to help you

do not delete it!

1 - 20 of 104 Posts