Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the biggest game of the season so far and will be a stern test for a group of players that have been underachieving heavily this season, yet seem as though they are turning the right corner. With a few players coming back now, the squad now looks slightly a bit more appealing. I do think that with a few more players back, the type of side Wenger decides to go with will ultimately have a big effect on the result. Even though he has just returned, I'm leaning more towards Walcott starting in this game. Roma are likely going to attack Arsenal and have the bulk of the possession as I don't see the current midfield being able to hold onto the ball long enough away from home against an opposition of Roma's quality. Walcott's pace could cause all types of problems when Arsenal are on the break.

Recently the defensive record from Arsenal has been really good, but in honestly they haven't really faced a really potent attack, with the quality of someone like Totti.

If Arsenal manage to win this game and the game following, I will definitely start to believe in the squad again.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
If Riise is Roma's starting left-back (I don't know) then we should start Walcott. The guy is a complete spanner at the best of times and Walcott's pace will trouble him a lot, even if Theo lacks sharpness and probably will run out of gas. It's worth the gamble IMO.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Possible line-up

Almunia

Sagna----Gallas----Toure----Clichy

Eboue----Diaby----Denilson----Nasri

Walcott----RVP

Subs: Fabianaki, Eduardo, Song, Djourou, Vela, Bendtner and Gibbs

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I think Theo will get some minutes but I doubt he has the match fitness necessary for such a game.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Van Persie, Vela tandem upfront though.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can see the side posted by Tunis being the line up but with Bendtner replacing Walcott. Wenger has shown already this season that he has no problems playing Bendtner in the big games. I agree though, van Persie and Vela would be better suited in this game, especially when it is likely that Arsenal will be playing on the counter.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
It's a pretty tough place to go the Olimpico but I'm relatively confident that we will get a result that will see us through. Walcott must start this match. He looked sharp today and an early goal will really kill them. Whether it is Riise or any other of their fullbacks who aren't up to much anyway if Theo has a go at them they will struggle. The young guy wasn't too bad at right back for Roma in the last game.

Just hope that we don't sit back too much early in the game. If we are on the back foot continuosly in the early parts of the game it can set a pattern and we have all seen some performances in the past when the team can't get their game together after doing this. Give them some doubts from the off with some quick counters and attacks. Have the Roma defenders having doubts and scare them early doors. An early goal and we are set.

I hope and think that Wenger and the team will be positive in this match.

The boys can do this one.

·
Registered
42,849 Posts
Yes, if you sit back sit back in the same manner as you did against Madrid and not against Villarreal. And stop jumping on the table, cat! :groan: Erm anyway while I'm aware there's room for errors, I am a little uneasy as I know it could easily of been done and dusted from the first leg. But no point dwelling on past thoughts.

A momentous stage awaits.

·
Premium Member
11,822 Posts
Everything has been just swell in recent weeks and I would like that to continue. I also believe the clean sheet acheived in the first leg is valuable.

·
Ze Don
1,134 Posts
I'm more confident with Eddy and Theo back in the team. But we're still going to need Denilson and Diaby to have the matches of their lives. Roma are going to miss both Pizarro and De Rossi for this one, so in terms of possession they're going to really get hurt. Totti and Juan are both doubts for this one too.

Nonetheless, i think this game will be won in midfield, and playing a Roma midfield thats missing De Rossi and Pizarro will really help our cause.

I'd like to see this

--------Sagna-------Toure--------Gallas-------Clichy

-------------------Diaby-------Denilson--------

----------Theo-----------Nasri-----------Vela

---------------------RVP-------------

We're probably going to see Niklas and Eboue instead of Theo and Vela though.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SkySports also says that Roma are going to miss Perrotta is going to miss this game as well and if true, that is a bonus because one of the problems I feel the midfield has is tracking runs from deep and that is a strong part of Perrotta's game.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
Score one goal, and you'll kill them off.

They are one of the most spineless teams United have met recently. Brilliant on their day, and should be a trouble for any side when you look at the talent they possess, especially against your very weak starting midfield (apart from Nasri). But they seem like a car crash when it comes to mental challenges.

Saying that, your team has been lacking in that department for a while as well, since you lost some key figureheads in the side.

·
Ze Don
1,134 Posts
SkySports also says that Roma are going to miss Perrotta is going to miss this game as well and if true, that is a bonus because one of the problems I feel the midfield has is tracking runs from deep and that is a strong part of Perrotta's game.
Completely agree. I'm glad he's not making it either.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Score one goal, and you'll kill them off.

They are one of the most spineless teams United have met recently. Brilliant on their day, and should be a trouble for any side when you look at the talent they possess, especially against your very weak starting midfield (apart from Nasri). But they seem like a car crash when it comes to mental challenges.

Saying that, your team has been lacking in that department for a while as well, since you lost some key figureheads in the side.
Tell us something we don`t know. :) :thumbsup:

All joking aside, hopefully what you are saying is true on Wednesday. Would really love to reach the Quarters at least.

·
Ze Don
1,134 Posts
If we do reach the quarters, then all i ask for is not to play against an English team. We do better against the continental teams.

·
G☆☆ner Ѧ ♥
1,139 Posts
First time in ages we are spoilt for choice. I don't like the 5-2-3-1 mainly because Bendtner will play and Vela and Dudu won't, But whatever does the job, I believe we can beat them with any formation.

·
Ze Don
1,134 Posts
Oh crap, thats bad news for us, he completely transformed the game to Roma's side when he came on last game. Still a De Rossi less Roma midfield isn't as strong.

But who's going to play the holding midfield role alongside Pizarro? I'm guessing Brighi would be given a go there.

1 - 20 of 249 Posts