Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a draw to secure top spot in the group.

COME ON ARSENAL!!!

·
Lazing in a hammock
2,450 Posts
I'd like to see Ramsey, Vela, Wilshere in action.

Fabianski
Sagna Toure Djourou Clichy
Eboue Ramsey Song Wilshere
Bendtner Vela​

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Agree about finishing top in this group. Porto will want to win this match and I don't think they will take it easy on us. They know the advantage of finishing top with an increased chance of missing the bigger guns in the first knock out stage plus they will want a bit of revenge and respect after we steamrollered them at the Emirates. So going out with a weakened side could spell trouble reminiscent of Sevilla last year. That turned out ok with us knocking out a big gun early in Milan but that Arsenal team was a different animal to this present side. You can argue that this side play better against the big teams and that we will have to meet a really strong side at some stage to have a good run but if we are being honest most people will want with respect a Panathinaikos or a Famagusta in the next round.

·
Lazing in a hammock
2,450 Posts
I don't give a shit if we finish first or second. If we want to prove ourselves in Europe we must be ready to beat anyone. We've seen that we can lose to PSV and beat Real or Milan. I think our form is gonna improve as the season goes and with the potential sinings in January we shouldn't be afraid of anyone.

We have a massive game on Saturday lunch time. Everyone needs to be completely fit and rested for the trip to Boro. That's why I don't mind giving some youngsters an opportunity to prove themselves once again in a meaningless encounter.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Not a case of being afraid Newmoldo. We should be giving ourselves the best chance possible of proceeding as far as we can in this competition. Look at what happened last season. We finished second in the group and were given the shit side of the draw. Milan, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man.Utd. Now that is a huge task in anyone's book. Man.Utd won their group and were rewarded with the better side of the draw. They could feel their way into the competition before they faced Barca. Like you said this team may improve over time so why not take this chance to maybe buy some time in the competition rather than not giving a shit whether we finish first or second.

Another point is that we should be topping this group every time anyway. It was one of the better and more comfortable groups to be in. We should be wanting a feel good factor going into the knockout stages. Finishing second to a very average Porto side is not going to do that. Last season was different. We were flying in the league and Wenger took the decision to rest his players against Sevilla. Sevilla last season were head and shoulders above any team in our group this season so it was no shame not to top the group. If we fail to win this group it will be shame. This is all supposition anyway but let's at least possibly give ourselves a better chance and win this f*cking group ;)

·
Registered
42,786 Posts
I agree I would prefer to top the group and sending out the strongest possible line-up would be best for this, but even in doing so, I fear how their mentality could develop and affect their approach as the match progresses - as our opponents need more and not conceding would be enough for us which is not the case for Porto.

A very tough match awaits.

·
Lazing in a hammock
2,450 Posts
Actually you have a very good point there, Maturin. You've proved me wrong. We should always aim for the first place.:) The example of united is spot on but then again you never know what to expect from the current Arsenal.

Anyway Come on boys!!!

Btw. Does anyone else have the impression that we always get shit groups in CL in terms of entertainment ? I mean i would have liked to play in a group with Juve, Zenit, Bayern, Roma. I'm tired of eastern teams and porto.

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
We have to win it! Finishing top of the group does matter. That haunted us down last season. On the other hand though, concidering the latest developments, plus our recent history in CL knockout stages, it seems that playing the return legg away suits us better.:undecide: Ah, fuk it, I want to see us top the group.

It should be a good game. Both teams are in the last 16 allready, so there will be no extra pressure, "just" a little matter of who will finish top to solve out.

·
소원을 말해봐
5,413 Posts
We have to win it! Finishing top of the group does matter. That haunted us down last season. On the other hand though, concidering the latest developments, plus our recent history in CL knockout stages, it seems that playing the return legg away suits us better.:undecide: Ah, fuk it, I want to see us top the group.

It should be a good game. Both teams are in the last 16 allready, so there will be no extra pressure, "just" a little matter of who will finish top to solve out.
we drew AC milan, which i thought was bad. all because we were careless and finished 2nd in our group. we HAVE to finish top this time.

·
Registered
42,786 Posts
While it's true that AC are immense on the European stage, still it's the case that Arsenal can have confidence against Italian opposition. Also Milan is such a magnificent opponent.

Sorry, I've gone off-topic. Back to the matter at hand.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
English teams have never won at Estadio do Dragao. In 6 games, the big four of Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, and Chelsea have gotten 4 draws and 2 losses.

This one has 0-0 written all over it, IMO.

·
Lazing in a hammock
2,450 Posts
We're used to break this kind of records:)

·
props u can read
768 Posts
^ Was about to say that. Anyway any news on Diaby? A few of our players need a rest.

And please, please let Vela start ffs, Bendtner is not better Arsene

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gallas and Diaby are back but.....

Samir Nasri (ankle) Gael Clichy (hamstring) Cesc (knee), Sagna (flu), Kolo Toure (calf), Robin van Persie (thigh) and Ade (rested) are all omitted from Wednesday's squad.

Possible line-up

Almunia

Eboue---Djourou----Gallas----Silvestre

Denilson----Song----Ramsey----Diaby

Vela-Bendtner

Subs: Fabianski, Gibbs, Hoyte, Randall, Merida, Wilshere and Jay Simpson

·
소원을 말해봐
5,413 Posts
hmm.. if we come first then we might end up getting the likes or real/juve, inter, bayern/lyon, villereal or athletico.. i'd be very worried playing any of those teams :S. knowing arsenal's incredible luck, we will get either inte, real or athletico. i can see it.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Song has been the only bright spot, every other Gunner has been either nonexistent i.e Vela, Bendtner or dreadful i.e Diaby.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts