Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

FC BARCELONA vs VfB STUTTGART
Camp Nou (Barcelona) | Wed, Feb 17 | 20:45 CET

In the defense of our crown, Barcelona must defeat Stuttgart in order to keep walking towards the Santiago Bernabéu. The result in the first leg was good (1-1), but we must not relax too much, because any goal of the Germans can complicate the game and we all know we suffered a lot in that game in Germany.

Pep will probably recover Ibra and Puyol for this game and it's possible that Keita makes it into the team too. The result is the most important, but the team must improve the image of the recent games, because we're reliable when we play our football, something that didn't happen lately.

We must be focused in defense and let's try to score as soon as possible to make things easier. Any other thing could make the end of the game be a pain... and keep the Lyon thing in mind!

SOM-HI BARÇA!

·
Registered
4,134 Posts

·
Registered
9,491 Posts
Up to you guys to maintain La Liga rep. On form Sevilla won't get past Moscow.
It will be a open game but i think Sevilla will pull through. CSKA has a strong team and all but their season has just begun(saw the Russian SuperCup where Kazan sat back in defense while CSKA couldnt muscle up a single clearcut chance although they attacked all game long).

Sevilla need Negredo/Kanoute to start working. I dont know how long is LFabiano out but this season their supposedly strongest place on the field has been pisspoor. Also, the game is played at Seville so i excpect CSKA to go through some difficulties.

But otherwise yeah...Sevilla may somehow brake through to the QFs but thats the furthest theyll go. I guess they´ll be satisfied with that.

·
Registered
42,727 Posts
Well of course you'll go through.

CSKA also needed a 93rd minute strike to pull through against Amkar Perm, agree Sevilla will probably see it through.

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
I don't give a shit about Sevilla or any other team :)

As for Barca, this game is risky.. even if we do score we're still in danger of conceding the goal that ties the games on aggregate. Our first half against Valencia has given the Germans hope... Valencia nearly scored at the Camp Nou and we can't afford to give the germans that kind of space!

Our previous game against Stuttgart doesn't inspire me with confidence... There was a speed mismatch in midfield as we were outrun by a far more athletic team. I have not seen any team counter-attack us with more speed than these guys did in the first half of the away game. Lucky for us they didn't score more and then ran themselves tired eventually not being able to play the 2nd half with the same intensity.

we've been having poor 1st half performances and must be vigilant... we can't lose if we don't concede at home so the defense must be sharp.

VISCA BARCA

·
Registered
9,491 Posts
Lately the theme has been pretty similar - teams will start against us with very high tempo to disrupt our play and pay the price in the second half. And its working - we cant put passes together in the first half, the midfield is not controlling the game and the high-pressuring also gives the opponents chances. I mean the last 2 games Stuttgart and Valencia played their lungs ragged and had problems in the second half. Teams are pretty much sacrificing the second halves but in Stuttgart´s case it payed off.

Which pretty much counters Pep´s plans from last season and this season aswell - to put the opponent to the sword from the get go and then control the game in the second half as teams are trying to come back. Now its us somehow surviving the first half and showing our football for only 45 minutes.

I hope the management team will come up with some solution that will allow us to move the ball better under high pressure. How many games has it been in a row where our first half performances have been under any possible acceptable level while in the second half things have drastically improved ?

·
Messiah
9,580 Posts
Looks like Stuttgart didn't lose away since their last visit in Camp Nou in 2007.. anyway they didn't qualify for CL since 2007 :drunk:

But we must be carefull...learn from Madrid (at least we have something to learn from them) :D.

·
Messiah
9,580 Posts
I want Yaya on starting line-up.

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
10,888 Posts
You want Messi to score 6 goals? Be realistic...
No I want a first half hattrick and then him substituted.:angel:

·
Messiah
9,580 Posts
not if he'll play anything like he did in Germany! He was caught flat footed out of position all game long
He'll do better than Busi.

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lately the theme has been pretty similar - teams will start against us with very high tempo to disrupt our play and pay the price in the second half. And its working - we cant put passes together in the first half, the midfield is not controlling the game and the high-pressuring also gives the opponents chances. I mean the last 2 games Stuttgart and Valencia played their lungs ragged and had problems in the second half. Teams are pretty much sacrificing the second halves but in Stuttgart´s case it payed off.

Which pretty much counters Pep´s plans from last season and this season aswell - to put the opponent to the sword from the get go and then control the game in the second half as teams are trying to come back. Now its us somehow surviving the first half and showing our football for only 45 minutes.

I hope the management team will come up with some solution that will allow us to move the ball better under high pressure. How many games has it been in a row where our first half performances have been under any possible acceptable level while in the second half things have drastically improved ?
I think their plan didn't work, but I wouldn't say it was not good. We could have end up losing 2-0 at half time in these games and one day this is going to happen unless we change things.

The team struggles to get the results and, if we keep playing this way, I honestly don't see the way to win Liga and/or Champions League.

The team needs a reaction and soon.

·
Registered
9,491 Posts
I think their plan didn't work, but I wouldn't say it was not good. We could have end up losing 2-0 at half time in these games and one day this is going to happen unless we change things.

The team struggles to get the results and, if we keep playing this way, I honestly don't see the way to win Liga and/or Champions League.

The team needs a reaction and soon.
Thats the problem for me, the team has been unable to function under pressure. And its not that there are minor difficulties but its more like major fvckups both in the defense and the offense. During the last 3 months how many times has the first half been dubbed as "one of the worst ever" ? Shooting blanks here but for me it seems to go for at least to every other game.

We cannot comment on the tactics of our opponents and all the team can do is react to them. Which the team mostly has done by better performances in the second half. But, like you, im worried that those responses may not be enough. The team needs to react from the first minute, not from the 46. minute. And as this high tempo thing has been used on us for many a occasion, im kind of worried that we are still having problems reacting to it.

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I said it since the beginning of the season, it reminds me a bit the slow death of the 2006-2007 season. We played quite bad during all the season and we lost La Liga in the last games and we got defeated in the last stages in Europe too.

There are differences. Nowadays, the coach is pro-active unlike Rijkaard, and there are not internal problems.

I see Xavi and Iniesta very tired and they aren't giving the team what we need. This is the main cause of our problems and they are the ones who makes Barça what it is. If we lose their touch, their vision and their way to dominate the games, we lose our style. And this is what's going on now.

Let's be honest, Messi is carrying the team on his shoulders, but this won't be enough to win titles against the competitive rivals we have in all the competitions. Messi has the right to have an off day and we can not depend on this, it's truly dangerous.

Last year, aside the great contribution of Messi, Eto'o and Henry scored their good share of goals too; Xavi and Iniesta were in a high level; Yaya Toure was a true leader... Now, it's all Messi and a bit of Alves since several weeks ago. Ibra, Henry, Xavi and Iniesta are off... Pedro is okay, but we can not compare him to what Henry was doing last year.

I don't know if there's a solution for this. I want to believe that this is part of a physical plan to peak in the important months. If it's not the case... we won't win anything this season.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I think you will win 3:0 or 3:1. It's whole different thing playing on Germans ground and playing away at Camp Nou.

Btw....where is Barcoslav? It looks he took to seriously his xtratime therapy. C'moon sosed, where are you, where's your sarcasm!? And where's annoYounghie....was he banned or did he run away again like the last time?

1 - 20 of 198 Posts