Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

v

UEFA Champions League: Tue, 7th Apr, Old Trafford

Suddenly we can go into this game absolutely buzzing after that win with a depleted team against Villa. Players like Vidic, Rooney, Scholes and Rio all expected to return here. I think a very good performance here could set the tone for how our run in ends, a great win could render the 2nd leg absolutely worthless which in turn enables us to rest players in that game to put full emphasis on Sunderland away and the Everton FA Cup semi which are the two games sandwiched between the 2nd leg of this european tie.

Porto need to be respected though and we still have to go out there and put a convincing display on. We're in our best shape for a while to do this and I think we'll get a 2-0 gap to take with us to Porto, it's not totally decisive but a good cushion all the same. Rooney and Ronaldo to score.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
Porto are a dangerous side, as they have some great attacking players. If we are sleepy at the back like today, or against Inter, we will be punished with an away goal.

But with the huge confidence boost we received today, and the class players that will come back, one has to be highly confident of getting a great result here.

If we manage to score early, the pressure will ease and the players will just start performing better and better, now that there is less pressure for the league.

If Rafael ain't back, one has to expect much better performances than today from Neville, Tevez, Carrick. Players that could be starters in the team, to perform as badly as they did today is unacceptable.

Hoping for a 3-0 win, but any win without a goal conceded will do.

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like Rio isn't being risked again, fair enough given how Evans looks next to Vida.

Can't see Tevez starting again either, bloke ran his arse off for over 80 mins today despite only returning from the high altitude of Bolivian on Friday afternoon and playing 180 mins for his country the past week.

Rooney alone upfront I reckon;

VDS

O'Shea
Vidic
Evans
Evra

Ronaldo
Carrick
Scholes
Fletcher
Park

Rooney.

Be tempted to give Macheda a go from the start after what he did against Villa but SAF will probably be putting him in the reserves to calm things down a bit and keep the boy grounded. Hes in the CL squad if needed though.

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
Buzzing about this one, just so I can rub my metaphorical cock in Pedro's mouth.

COME ON UNITED!

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
after the late show against villa, iam sure our guys are Up for this one.

I just hope that unlike againt Inter (at sansiro) we will take our chances.

---------vds----------

--Oshea---vidic---evans---evra-----

-----carrick---scholes---fletch-----

-----ronaldo---rooney---park------

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Please don't embarass us too bad. Not sure if Jesualdo will use the scared CL away tactics and clog the midfield, but it's hopeless either way. I'm serious, I just don't want to get embarassed. I fully expect you guys to win with ease.

--

Porto squad called for the game:

GK: Helton, Nuno Espirito Santo
DF: Cristian Sapunaru, Bruno Alves, Aly Cissokho, Milan Stepanov, Rolando
MF: Fernando, Lucho Gonzalez, Andres Madrid, Raul Meireles, Fredy Guarin, Tomas Costa
FW: Ernesto Farias, Lisandro Lopez, Mariano Gonzalez, HULK, Cristian Rodriguez, Tarik Sektioui

Injured: Jorge Fucile, Pedro Emanuel, Nelson Benitez

--

Normal starting XI expected unless, as stated, Jesualdo gets scared and lines up defensively:

Helton
Sapunaru - Rolando - Bruno Alves - Cissokho
Fernando
Lucho Gonzalez - Raul Meireles
Lisandro - HULK - Rodriguez​

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
:)

MACHEDA RETAINED IN UNITED SQUAD

Posted 06/04/09 15:14

Federico Macheda will keep his place in Manchester United's squad for their Champions League quarter-final against FC Porto on Tuesday night.

The 17-year-old scored the last-gasp winner to beat Aston Villa on his debut on Sunday and Sir Alex Ferguson does not intend to drop the Italian even though he has three senior players returning.
Wayne Rooney, Paul Scholes and Nemanja Vidic are all back from suspension, although Rio Ferdinand is unlikely to figure as he is still troubled by a groin injury.

Manchester United (from): Van der Sar, Foster, Kuszczak, O'Shea, Neville, Vidic, Evans, Ferdinand, Evra, Eckersley, Ronaldo, Nani, Fletcher, Gibson, Carrick, Scholes, Giggs, Park, Rooney, Tevez, Welbeck, Macheda.

·
Registered
183 Posts
had a bad game against villa. I expect him to be locked out of the first team for a while, considering it was his first game back in and he stunk it up.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts