Xtratime Community banner

Performance poll. Choose top 2 performers, most votes wins MoM.

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
14,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Group stage - 06 November 2008 21:30 CET (21:30 local time) - Mestalla Stadium - Valencia

Valencia cf vs FC København

I think everyone has forgotten about this match? Everyone is mourning because of our first loss of the season maybe. Anyway this is our First match of the group stage and its against Fc copenhagen.

To be honest i don't know much about them. They finished in 3rd place last year in the danish championship and they were champions in 2007. I remember them playing against Man U a few times in the past ( Getting their asses kicked, i think?)

They have already played a game in the group against St Etienne. They lost 3-1 and that was at home! Gomis scored for Etienne (who i would love us to sign in winter as our new delantaro) The only player in their squad that i know is Jesper Gronkjar. Used to be a decent player :)

This is how the group table stands after day 1 :

Group G Pld W D L GF GA Pts
St Etienne 1 1 0 0 3 1 3
Club Brugge 1 0 1 0 0 0 1
Rosenborg 1 0 1 0 0 0 1
Valencia 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
København 1 0 0 1 1 3 0

·
Registered
14,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In this game i want us to win well so i would start with the big guns. We will need confidence before the getafe game.

--------------------RENAN--------------------

MIGUEL-----ALBIOL-------ALEXIS-----DEL HORNO

JOAQUIN-----MANNY-----MARCHENA------MATA

-------------MORO-------VILLA----------------

·
Registered
14,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lets hope it doesn't rain on the east coast of Spain on Thursday. I belive the rain fcuked us up more than any Racing player on Saturday.

·
semi-retired
18,554 Posts
Absolutely forgot about this game, I taught Getafe was next. Thanks for starting the thread.

I wouldn't start the big guns though, they looked exhausted after the Racing match and a week's rest can do them some good.

Renan

X. Navarro - Helguera - Marchena - del Horno

Maduro/Albelda

Viana -------------- Edu

Pablo ----------------------------- Mata

Morientes​

Bench: Villa, Fernandes, Baraja, Alexis, Joaquin, Miguel, Vicente, etc. if we get in trouble.

I'd start Renan, mainly to give him confidence back, even though he didn't do much wrong on Saturday. I'm torn between Albelda and Maduro at DM, either we give Maduro a run and rest Albelda or we go for security in the most important part of the pitch. On the left, both Mata and V14 deserve a rest so I will go for the more energetic Mata.

3 teams qualify from the group so we need to take this easy and not pick up injuries or make our players over-fatigued.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
FCK are Allsvenskan All-stars, just ask Friki :proud: :howler:

·
Registered
16,538 Posts
FCK are Allsvenskan All-stars, just ask Friki :proud: :howler:
LOL
Yeah even though Wendt wasn't that good when he was at IFK...

Peter Larsson and Cesar Santin though...
Not to forget other such as Allbäck, Hutchinson, Ailton etc. That have been in Allsvenskan and so on.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
If we loose this I won't be able to see my friends again.

AMUNT FFS!

·
Registered
14,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This game will be our 250 th Match in Europe :shades:

·
semi-retired
18,554 Posts
It will be interesting to see if Unai calls Helguera up if the latter isn't showing enough in training.

If he isn't called up then we can be practically sure Albiol and Marchena will start at the back since Alexis just came back from an injury.

Anyway, here's the game preview:

What: UEFA Cup, Group G
Who: Valencia v FC Copenhagen
When: 21:30 CET - Thursday, November 6, 2008
Where: Mestalla, Valencia

Valencia will be looking to make a strong start in Europe as they play their first group game when FC Copenhagen visit Mestalla on Thursday evening, while the visitors will be looking for their first points.

The Spanish outfit are rejuvenated this season under Unai Emery following a campaign of strife both on and off the field last time out and will be hoping that they can take their league form in to the Uefa Cup.

Ronald Koeman's arrival a year ago caused uproar at the club and that was then exacerbated by a power struggle in the boardroom that led to the club being perilously close to the drop zone at one stage.

A Copa del Rey triumph was a rare glimmer of light, but it led to European qualification and now Los Che are hoping to use that to take another step back up the ladder to success.

Home and away wins against Maritimo have already shown that the team have what it takes to progress against continental opposition, and with the structure of the groups, Valencia will be confident of qualifying for the next knock-out round.

Preparations for the game in midweek were dented by a demoralising 4-2 home reverse against Racing Santander, but that could well serve to galvanise a team that made a very bright start to the season.

Learning Curve

It was Valencia's first defeat of the term and all the talk was about how the team must learn from it and not allow the same errors to be repeated; the visit of Copenhagen will see whether that is true or whether confidence needs restoring.

The Danish side have had plenty of experience already this term as this will be their eighth game in the Uefa Cup after they entered at the First Qualifying Round stage.

Cliftonville were dispatched with a double-figures aggregate win, before Lillestrom were beaten to set up a first round encounter with FK Moskva, which Copenhagen edged with a gritty win in the Russian capital.

In what was a fair draw for everyone in Group G, the Danes considered that they had as good a chance as any to progress but they took a backwards step when being beaten 3-1 at home by St Etienne in their first encounter.

Valencia in Mestalla will, arguably, be their toughest game and without first-choice centre-backs Ulrik Laursen and Peter Larsson they will not be relishing the prospect of an in-form David Villa.

Defeat for the visitors could mean that they face an uphill struggle to make the next round, while Valencia will view three points as a good starting point.

FORM GUIDE

Valencia

01/11 H 2-4 Racing Santander

29/10 A 4-1 Portugalete

26/10 A 1-1 Recreativo

19/10 H 4-0 Numancia

05/10 A 1-0 Valladolid

02/10 H 2-1 Maritimo

FC Copenhagen

02/11 A 1-1 VB

26/10 H 0-0 OB

23/10 H 1-3 St Etienne

18/10 A 1-0 Horsens

06/10 A 3-0 VB

24/09 H 2-1 FC Nordsjaelland

TEAM NEWS

Valencia

Joaquín has returned to training after recovering from a calf strain and should be in contention, but David Silva will not be risked despite having resumed training with the first team squad.

Probable Starting XI: Renan, Miguel, Moretti, Albiol, Alexis, Joaquín, Albelda, Fernandes, Mata, Angulo, Villa.

FC Copenhagen

Ulrik Laursen has failed to recover from a groin injury in time to join the squad, while Peter Larsson and Jesper Gronkjaer remain long-term absentees. Otherwise Ståle Solbakken has a full squad to choose from.

Probable Starting XI: Christiansen, Pospech, Antonsson, Zanka, Wendt, Sionko, Norregaard, Kristensen, Hutchinson, Nordstrand, Santin

PREDICTION

Copenhagen are likely to travel to Mestalla to defend, but with a rearranged rearguard things may not be as organised as coach Ståle Solbakken would like and that is where Valencia could take advantage. There may be a few nerves from the home side at the outset, but an early goal should lift the team and then a comfortable victory is likely to be theirs.

Valencia 2 - 0 FC Copenhagen

Lucas Brown, Goal.com

·
Registered
489 Posts
Porteros: Renan y Guaita.

Defensas: Miguel, Albiol, Marchena, Del Horno y Moretti.

Centrocampistas: Edu, Hugo Viana, Baraja, Maduro, Fernandes, Pablo, Vicente y Mata.

Delanteros: Angulo, Morientes y Villa.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
I'd play;

Renan
Miguel - Albiol - Marchena - del Horno
Pablo - Baraja - Fernandes - Mata
Morientes - Villa​

·
Registered
337 Posts
Renan
Pablo - Renan - Renan - Pablo
Pablo - Pablo - Pablo - Pablo
Renan - Pablo

10 - 0 with Nerd CF.

Honestly, though, I wouldn't play Villa tonight unless we 're having problems by minute 60 or so. Vicente on the left, Pablo on the right. I want to see Hugo Viana play, as well.

·
Registered
14,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I want to see Hugo and el moro shine tonight. LOL @ Helguera not being called up. Does anyone know if there will be a stream for the game?

·
semi-retired
18,554 Posts
Albelda isn't called up? Great, he can use a day off but it would've been nice to see Kaiser in midfield if Alexis wasn't given a rest aswell.

Rest as many players I say and give a chance to the others who haven't played much (this doesn't apply to Angulo ofcourse):

Renan Brito

Miguel --- Albiol -- Marchena --- del Horno

Hedwiges Maduro

Viana -------------------- Edu

Pablo ----------------------------- Mata

Morientes​

Villa, Vicente (I would like him on the bench as he's better coming off it to change the game as opposed to Mata, while the other guy has the energy to last the 90 minutes), Fernandes and Baraja can come on if we're in trouble.

*EDIT*
Learn how to create nicknames in a fabulous way and his name isn't frigging BRITO SOARES, it's RENAN BRITO, you don't say VILLA SANCHEZ or SILVA JIMENEZ right?

·
Registered
14,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
who called him brito soares

1 - 20 of 122 Posts