Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scotland 4-0 Iceland

Is Bonhof still in charge or did he leave? Anyway good to see them get a convincing win.

From the SFA site:

Scotland Under 21s earned a deserved 4-0 victory over Iceland at a chilly Firhill Stadium tonight.

Scotland shot into the lead with a goal from Kilmarnock's Steven Naismith in the first minute, and within half an hour were three ahead. Naismith made the second in 21 minutes, his crossed making it easy for debutant Martin Scott of Livingston at the far post, and then Hearts' Calum Elliot, another first cap, headed home the third from a Charlie Adam cross.

In 58 minutes, Elliot scooped a fourth with a shot over the visiting keeper, and it was straightforward enough for Scotland to retain their lead to the end, despite numerous subsitutions. Elliot and Zander Diamond were both substituted after clashing heads in the box, sustained injuries that required lengthy treatment.

It was an impressive performance for the sparse crowd of 1,024 to enjoy, and coach Maurice Malpas has a good base on which to build.

Scotland: Marshall (Turner 46), Irvine, Diamond (Brighton 69), Kinniburgh, Berra, Lawson, Scott (Foster 43), Naismith (Bryson 83), Elliot (Clarkson 69), Woods (Quinn 37), Adam.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It says in the text Malpas is the coach but thought maybe Bonhof was unavailable for tonight's game.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
That's a quality young forward line with Naismith and Elliot.

I think that was Elliot's debut as well, so 2 goals isn't bad going at all.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been very impressed by Elliot in the games I've seen him. He looks very strong on the ball and holds it up well. He does very well considering the size of the Hearts squad to maintain his place in that side.

Fletcher is a real livewire and looks a constant pest. He'll give any defender a torrid time.

All in all it's looking good in the striking department for Scotland. Apart from those two there are obviously more breaking into the senior side and more yet who have yet to do so.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Delighted for Elliot as he has been outstanding so far this season. I anybody had seen him play before Rix arrived would have seen a young player who put lots of effort in but for me, didn't look like he was ready for first team football. But credit to Rix, he played him week in wekk out and the performances were good but once he scored his first goal, his play has went to another level. He's now first choice striker for me and I hope he's in the running for Young player of the Year though Naismith from Kille has also had a great season.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Apparently Malpas is only temporary. Check out the SFA site's take on it here :dielaugh:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Agree. the Elliot shows us his real potential all the ways so I hope to see him in Heart's Staring XI..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts