Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not gonna go into much detail.....

We lost to Denmark in hosting the 2011 UEFA U21 finals.....
didnt expect much...wasnt a big tournament in reality, but would be nice to have it hosted in Israel for sure....

But Denmark was much safer i guess...

in all, i think Luzons failed big time in this bid.....
everything is always talk with them...no real agenda...just the typical Petach Tikva sattire...... little mens world......

we cant even host a freaking Youth tournament.......not that it gets alot of fans..... at the most 25,000 fans come to Israel..but still....

Can Israel be ready to have hosted such a tournament in 2011? :confused:

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nowhere is safe......
But we just dont have the infrastructure and know how to make a successful run at anything.....

We are a country that had so much issues with players refusing to come....

Our chairman is all talk like i said.....everything is open air..

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I doubt safety is the main issue. Tel Aviv or Jerusalem are as safe as any random big European city. It is not like they would host any games in a stadium 2 km from the border with Gaza ... I really find it hard to believe that safety would be the make or break in such decisions. The problem seems more that the likes of Denmark have more stadiums matching the criteria for such tournaments. Aarhus has a big stadium, Copenhagen has 2 very big stadiums, then there are the likes of Odense and Aalborg who are relatively big ... In Israel there is just Bloomfield, Ramat Gan, Kiryat Eliezer and Teddy of whom only Ramat Gan has a capacity of far beyond 20000. I think expanding the stadiums is the key task for the Israeli FA to host a tournament, once there are 3 or 4 stadiums with a capacity of 25000 or more there will be no issues to host a tournament (the question is of course if making big costs in infrastructure is not wasted money when the stadiums will never be fully crowded again after the tournament... Would Beitar or Maccabi Haifa ever sell out games in 25000+ stadiums on regular basis? If the answer is NO, the expansion would be wasted money. Just look at the likes of Belgium or Austria, after having hosted a Euro Cup the expanded stadiums have rarely been full with a few exceptions ... The Israeli teams must reach out to a bigger fanbase so that it would make sense to invest in bigger stadiums, seeing the stadiums be sold out not just for this one tournament but also regularly during the Israeli football season)

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
I doubt safety is the main issue. Tel Aviv or Jerusalem are as safe as any random big European city. It is not like they would host any games in a stadium 2 km from the border with Gaza ... I really find it hard to believe that safety would be the make or break in such decisions. The problem seems more that the likes of Denmark have more stadiums matching the criteria for such tournaments. Aarhus has a big stadium, Copenhagen has 2 very big stadiums, then there are the likes of Odense and Aalborg who are relatively big ... In Israel there is just Bloomfield, Ramat Gan, Kiryat Eliezer and Teddy of whom only Ramat Gan has a capacity of far beyond 20000. I think expanding the stadiums is the key task for the Israeli FA to host a tournament, once there are 3 or 4 stadiums with a capacity of 25000 or more there will be no issues to host a tournament (the question is of course if making big costs in infrastructure is not wasted money when the stadiums will never be fully crowded again after the tournament... Would Beitar or Maccabi Haifa ever sell out games in 25000+ stadiums on regular basis? If the answer is NO, the expansion would be wasted money. Just look at the likes of Belgium or Austria, after having hosted a Euro Cup the expanded stadiums have rarely been full with a few exceptions ... The Israeli teams must reach out to a bigger fanbase so that it would make sense to invest in bigger stadiums, seeing the stadiums be sold out not just for this one tournament but also regularly during the Israeli football season)
It would waste some money. Israel has only 4 clubs who could fill a 25,000 capacity stadium on a regular basis which would the so called "Big 4", Maccabi Tel Aviv, Beitar Jerusalem, Maccabi Haifa and Hapoel Tel Aviv. This means, only 3 stadiums in three different cities, the biggest of Israel. Other teams, from different cities, such as Netanya or Beer Sheva have a considerable fanbase, but nothing significant comparing the the previous ones. If we were to make a big stadium it would be empty the rest of the season. We only have Ramat Gan, that are only for NT games or doubleheaders in the State Cup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts