Xtratime Community banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
10,841 Posts
BTW, Santiago Munoz has some potential. Has good size at this age (5'10") and pretty damn good ball control for a 9. Folks have been comparing him to Jimenez. We'll see.....

Alvarez has some potential also.....playing in MLS at the moment though. While I think that is fine at this age, he will have to go to a better league to develop properly.

El Mesmari and Pizzuto are harder to judge. They are excellent at this age but I get an odd feeling that they may be their peak.

All that being said, U17 is a poor indicator of pro performance. Very few stars at U17 star, or even play regularly, at the first Division level. U20 is a much better indicator.
Santi Munoz destined for stardom, on his way to the Toon now?

·
Administrator
29,412 Posts
First half ended now. 0 x 0. First 20 minutes, Brazil more dominant, hiting the post. Then Mexico advanced their defense, taking the more skilled brazilians out of the game, and letting the defenders to be more part of the game, so more flawed passing, the game slowed and Mexico seemed to control, albeit not very creative and in the end, letting space for Veron to be on 1-1 which may be the key of the game.

·
Administrator
29,412 Posts
And Mexico Goal. Brazil was better, but an excessive number of mistakes and selfness damaged Brazil game. Mexico slowly moved the ball until a crossing and Gonzales alone head to the net.

·
Administrator
29,412 Posts
A bit reckless sliding Tackle by Gomes hits Veron when Brazil pressured. VAR calls the pk and Caio Jorge scores. Mexico was looking more solid and perfectly capable to hold the result since Brazil pressure was not organized and still selfish.

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
Mexico seems to have lost the bubble a bit....they need to regain composure if they want to stay in this.

·
Administrator
29,412 Posts
Lazaro scores in a cross after a rare slow colective construction by Brazil. 2 x 1.

Have to give those kids some credits, TTM, second half was much slower, it seems that the semifinals efforrts by both caused this.

·
Administrator
29,412 Posts
As the pk, I am sure it was, but not sure if it was something VAR had to be used. Mexico almost scores in the end, a better team, IMO, if not with the better players (and their better players were subbed anyways).

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
I agree JCam. Brazil was the better team today and both teams deserve credit for a well fought game. A little short on technical ability but they are 17 yr olds....

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
Congrats JCam. Let's see if any of these kids perform at the next level. I really like Veron. He was a handful. For Mexico, Pizzuto controlled the mid....not sure how athletic he will be at the next level though.

·
Administrator
29,412 Posts
Cheers, T. I read today that of the 54 players in the previous 3 WC U17 that we won, only 8 managed to play for the senior team and only 2 had a steady career with us to the point of the play at a world cup (R10 e Adriano, and they werent the stars of the team either). But i guess Yah (the right full back), Veron and Caio Jorge seem to be the players to expect something, albeit Lazaro finishing seems promissing: all his attempts (today and against france) had the right direction.

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
Just to amplify on the penalty. It WAS a foul....in the box....and the VAR was in the right to call a penalty. My feeling is that at that point in the game, I didn't think the foul was consequential. Rule of the law, it was correct.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts