Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
42,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Canada have another chance to show why they're good at soccer now. They play Brazil.

Australia take on Ecuador too.

Nigeria vs. Hungary looks interesting too.

First matches kick off in 50 minutes roughly.

·
Super Moderator
13,618 Posts
Nice to see Hungary with a decent young team. Can't remember the last time.

Ecuador seem to be doing a fantastic job with youth football, qualifying regularly in all categories.

This is the WC that should have been in Peru but the stadiums did not pass the inspections apparently. :D It probably did't help that the president of the football federation was in jail for murder.

·
Super Moderator
13,618 Posts
They had not been in a U17 World Cup in twenty years.

·
Registered
55,441 Posts
Nice to see Hungary with a decent young team. Can't remember the last time.

Ecuador seem to be doing a fantastic job with youth football, qualifying regularly in all categories.

This is the WC that should have been in Peru but the stadiums did not pass the inspections apparently. :D It probably did't help that the president of the football federation was in jail for murder.
last time we were in this tournament was 1985. we beat Brasil and won our group, to lose then 1-3 in 1/4 finals against the later champions, Nigeria

·
Super Moderator
13,618 Posts
I just hope that Mati Palacios in the near future becomes our new Roman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4LzOXB3Ivg&t=394s
Well he looks really good.

last time we were in this tournament was 1985. we beat Brasil and won our group, to lose then 1-3 in 1/4 finals against the later champions, Nigeria
Right. So what does Bentex mean when he says they're always good in youth level? I don't follow youth football as much as other folks do, but I genuinely don't remember Hungary doing well in a very long time. I don't really watch the Euro ones, but just looking at wikipedia their recent record is not great either.

Anyway, tremendous comeback from Nigeria yesterday vs Hungary. They just completely dominated.

Still nice to see Hungary competing in the WC, hopefully a few of these guys will make it in the pro level.

·
Registered
55,441 Posts
Well he looks really good.

Right. So what does Bentex mean when he says they're always good in youth level? I don't follow youth football as much as other folks do, but I genuinely don't remember Hungary doing well in a very long time. I don't really watch the Euro ones, but just looking at wikipedia their recent record is not great either.

Anyway, tremendous comeback from Nigeria yesterday vs Hungary. They just completely dominated.

Still nice to see Hungary competing in the WC, hopefully a few of these guys will make it in the pro level.
were 2x at U20 world cups the last 10 years or so, doing well at both (semi-finals). they do definitely better than the senior team. I guess that's what he meant.

·
Super Moderator
13,618 Posts
That is pretty damn good indeed.

·
Registered
55,441 Posts
we‘re dam good at blowing leads, but as for sarcastic football giants, Hungry surely is up there on top of it, probably more comparable to the Solomon Islands than to Ausztralia

·
Registered
12,967 Posts
Mexico in the Final. Brazil, the home team, currently getting reamed a new one by the frogs.

Mexico most successful U17 program in the last 15 years. Change my mind :D

·
Registered
12,967 Posts
....and Brazil wins 3-2. They play Mexico in the final. Last time they met in a U17 final Mexico beat Brazil 3-0. Mexico featured players that year were Giovani Dos Santos, Carlos Vela, and Hector Moreno. All still playing first Division football.

·
Registered
12,967 Posts
This time, Mexico features Efrain Alvarez, Bruce El Mesmari, Eugenio Pizzuto, and Santiago Munoz. While I think Brazil has the edge and should be favored, Mexico, on its best day, will be very difficult to beat and they are peaking at the moment. One never knows though....they could have an off day and in the opponents home field, it could get ugly.

·
inbred amoeba
3,216 Posts
Gratz Mexico!
Brazil eliminating France was the robbery of the century tho. France were so dominating in the first half; and then I went to bed. What did really happen?

·
Registered
12,967 Posts
Gratz Mexico!
Brazil eliminating France was the robbery of the century tho. France were so dominating in the first half; and then I went to bed. What did really happen?
You have to give Brazil credit. They kept pressing the entire game whereas France stayed at the same level. The crowd was feeding them energy of course.

Hopefully, they are spent for the final :D

·
Registered
12,967 Posts
BTW, Santiago Munoz has some potential. Has good size at this age (5'10") and pretty damn good ball control for a 9. Folks have been comparing him to Jimenez. We'll see.....

Alvarez has some potential also.....playing in MLS at the moment though. While I think that is fine at this age, he will have to go to a better league to develop properly.

El Mesmari and Pizzuto are harder to judge. They are excellent at this age but I get an odd feeling that they may be their peak.

All that being said, U17 is a poor indicator of pro performance. Very few stars at U17 star, or even play regularly, at the first Division level. U20 is a much better indicator.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts