Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know if anyone has noticed this talented team. They played a few friendly games in December and January where they beat Italy 3-1, had a 0-0 draw and a 2-0 win against Ukraine and they defeated the Czech Republic 5-3 and 3-0.
Earlier this year hey won all their 3 games in Meridian cup and they have just qualified for the European championship in May after beating France, Scotland and Azerbaijan.
They should be among the favorites to win the European championship. :)

Has anyone followed this team? Which players could become stars in the future?

·
Registered
14,298 Posts
yes i was going to post something like this haha. i have been following. one potential player looks to be Tevfik Kose, he has scored 3 goals in the last 2 matches. and with the 3 wins that means that they automatically quailfy for the U-17 finals in Italy in May.

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
This team looks strong, yes and who says we don't have good players coming out of Turkiye.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Sounds good!

I just hope they can carry this potential onto the NT like our last U17/18s did to the NT (when Okan played).

The good thing is, we are now constantly doing well at the younger levels. Our success in the WC (seems so long ago :D) may be attracting the youngsters abroad.

·
10'un Adi Lefter
8,620 Posts
Ergin Keles, 2014 World Cup Top Scorer? ;)

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The EC Finals kicks off tomorrow.

Turkey are in the difficult group A:

Group A
England
Italy
Turkey
Belarus

03.05.2005 v Italy 19:00
05.05.2005 v England 18:00
08.05.2005 v Belarus 17:15

The games can be watched live on Eurosport.

Key players: (From uefa.com)
BV Borussia Dortmund midfield player Nuri Sahin is the pivot around which the Turkish team turn, and is considered to have the professionalism to go a long way. Further forward, strikers Tevfik Köse and Caner Erkin will need to be watched closely by their opponents. At the back, Galatasaray SK defender Erkan Ferin is always ready to give his 100 per cent to the team. Meanwhile, Fenerbahçe SK goalkeeper Volkan Babacan is tipped to make the step up to senior level, with his biggest admirers stating he could have as long as 15 years in the national No1 shirt.

·
Premium Member
7,139 Posts
Haydi bastir, Turkiye! ;)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Avci talks up Turkey,

By Türker Tozar

When Turkey prepared to stage UEFA European Under-17 Championship Elite round Group 6, coach Abdullah Avci declared: "We believe we will top the group."

Perfect record
It was a tall order, with holders France among the opposition. But on Matchday 1, Caner Ergin gave Turkey a 1-0 win against the reigning champions, and Scotland and Azerbaijan were then defeated as Avci's side finished the pool a maximum six points clear.

Smooth progress
Now, as Avci readies himself for the start of their finals campaign - in Italy on 3 May against the hosts - the coach admits his surprise at just how smooth their progress was. "Looking back to the Elite round, we thought France would really challenge us - a side we had never beaten in a competitive youth international," he told uefa.com. "However, we did not allow them a glimpse of goal for the first hour, and although the last 20 minutes were really tough, we won 1-0."

Unbeaten run
Avci took over in October, having been head of youth development at Galatasaray SK, and is unbeaten in six qualifiers and five friendlies - including a victory against the Italians. Turkey also overcame Armenia and drew with Wales and the Netherlands in a tough qualifying round Group 9.

First mission
"When I was appointed, the old coaching staff gave me a 24-man list," he explained. "I had worked with the Istanbulspor AS and Galatasaray youth departments, so had plenty of knowledge of the players available. The qualifying round in the Netherlands came quickly and I had to rely on the existing squad.

We topped the group but lacked some players in various positions

Abdullah Avci

Problems identified
"Therefore we had two missions - one to compete and the second to see what the squad lacked. We topped the group but lacked some players in various positions, in addition to some problems with fitness and team play. We were then able to work on them before the Elite round."

Squad improved
To that end, they played a series of friendlies, defeating Italy 3-1 in Istanbul, drawing 2-2 and winning 2-0 in a two-match series against Ukraine, and overcoming the Czech Republic 3-0 and 5-3 - in that time adding five newcomers to the squad. "They are talented players but they had trouble playing team football," Avci said. "We have worked on that and have really developed. Now we have 18 players who display professionalism and ambition."

Finals test
Turkey will need to hit the ground running in Italy - after the hosts, they play England and Belarus in Group A. Avci, though, is more than a little confident, saying: "On paper, our group looks like a league of champions, but England and Italy have not done great things at this age level.

I can say that my side are better than the rest

Abdullah Avci

Belarus danger
"I know Italy from the friendly we played last November. Last month I watched Belarus against Bulgaria. Belarus could be dark horses - indeed between Belarus and Italy, I would favour Belarus because they have physical power and play good team football. I have yet to fully assess England but I can say that my side are better than the rest!"

Avci's targets
However, he added: "Our primary target is training players for the senior team, and as quickly as possible. It is not possible to open the way for all 18 players, but if we could give two or three to that side, I would consider myself successful. On the other hand, results are also important."

uefa.com.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Italy vs Turkey

03 May 2005
19:00 (local time)
E. Mannucci - Pontedera

Referee ->
Pavel Cristian Balaj (ROM)

Assistant referee ->
Rafal Rostkowski (POL)
Hannes Reinvald (EST)

Fourth official ->
Svein Oddvar Moen (NOR)

·
Registered
396 Posts
U17 Turkey National Team Players
No: Name : DoB :

Goalkeepers
1 Volkan Babacan : 11.08.1988
12 Onur Recep Kivrak: 01.01.1988

Defenders
2 Serdar Kesçi 18.01.1988
4 Erkan Ferin 20.03.1988
5 Mehmet Yilmaz 26.03.1988
6 Harun Karadas 14.01.1988
15 Emre Balak 11.08.1988

Midfielders
3 Ferhat Bikmaz 06.07.1988
8 Caner Erkin 04.10.1988
10 Nuri Sahin 05.09.1988
13 Anil Tasdemir 01.01.1988
14 Aydin Yilmaz 29.01.1988
17 Murat Duruer 15.01.1988
18 Muhammed Ali Atam 21.05.1988

Forwards
7 Özgürcan Özcan 10.04.1988
11 Deniz Yilmaz 26.02.1988
16 Umut Salginoglu 01.01.1988

·
Registered
396 Posts
--> EUROSPORT TV SCHEDULE ON 2005/05/03

--> live : 17:00 FOOTBALL
UEFA European Under-17 Championship Italy
Group Stage : Croatia-Netherlands (((live!)))

--> live : 19:00 FOOTBALL
UEFA European Under-17 Championship Italy
Group Stage : Italy-Turkey (((LIVE!)))

·
Honourable Mention, April Photo Contest 2008
19,147 Posts
thats cool...19:00 i'll watch our kids and after that the CL-Final....

·
Registered
396 Posts
our young talent will shine , in this tournoment ;)
forca Turkey! :star: :star: :star: :thumbsup:

i hope today we will get 3 point,
i gues it will gonna be -> 1-2 Turkey victory :star:

·
Registered
18,438 Posts
Only 15 minutes left......haydi Türkiyemmmm!

1 - 20 of 129 Posts