Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best Defender (besides Friedel): A tough call between Pope and Sanneh, but I will give it to Sanneh for shutting down Figo and playing an incredible match against Germany.

Friedel's Best Save: Penalty kick save against Korea.

Best Midfielder: John O'Brien. He was invaluable. Thank goodness he stayed healthy.

Best Offensive Player: Landon Donovan. It was close between him and McBride but Landon's performance against Germany put him over the top.

Most Valuable Player: John O'Brien. I think he played every minute of every match. He made great passes, was there on defense and helped control the midfield.

Prettiest Goal: Reyna to Wolff to McBride against Mexico

Most Important Goal: Mathis' goal against Korea

Most Surprisingly Good Performance: Frankie Heyduk. I'm tempted to say Sanneh but I knew he could play well. I really didn't expect Frankie to raise his game so high.

Most Disappointing Performance: In terms of expectations not met, I'd have to say Mathis. Certainly Agoos' performance was not good.

Worst Referee Call Against Us: Calling back Donovan's goal against Poland. That could have settled us down and allowed us to get back in the match.

Best Referee Call for Us: Missing John O'Brien's handball against Mexico. :)

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
Agree with almost all your categories, Hern! :)

However, I would say the worst referee call against us was the non-call PK by Hugh Dallas today! Sure the one in Poland was ridiculous, but the one today would have had a much bigger impact on the outcome of the game, as we were definitely dominating at that point, playing for a win, a place in the semis!

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Best Defender: Sanneh. Hands down, he was the best

Best Midfielder: Landon Donovan ( I guess he is in midfield, right?)

Best Offensive Player: Once again Donovan

MVP: Friedel (if only he did not speak with a British accent:tongue: )

Prettiest goal: Donovan's header against Mexico

Most important goal: O'Brien's third minute goal against POrtugal, it got us started on the right foot:)

Most Suprising Performance: Tony Sanneh, he looked like a world-class player

Worst call: Berhalter's goal against Germany did not count:(:fero:

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
My crappiest player awards: lewis , Mcbride , Berhaulters , Cobi
Mcbride: disappeared into many games

Berhaulters: the sorriest passer to ever to play this game

Cobi: has lost it

The Most valuable player - Pablo Mastoeni , when he played the yanks win , a destuctive force at the defensive midfield:devil:

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Lewis: has 0 skills:rolleyes:

·
Registered
401 Posts
It was worth having Cobi Jones just for what he does when we have a lead in the end of a game. McBride got tired late in games but played great. Lewis isn't great, but is good with crosses.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Knoxville gimme a break... Jones did nothing to prove he has lost it with the limited playing time he got.
Berhaulter and Lewis came up huge when the team needed them, Berhaulter could have very well scored the tying goal against germany and lewis was awesome in the Mexico game... he played great and his cross on Donovan's goal was world class, neither made that big of a mistake.
I dont even know where the hell you came up with adding Brian Mcbride to that list? I'm not sure but he may be the all time leader in WC goals by an american (maybe behind eric wynalda) and he was great scoring the eventual game winners against mexico and portugal (his diving header in that game is my pick as prettiest goal), as well as constantly winning balls in the air.
I like your Masteroni pick though, he was amazing.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Great article Olds..

but, I am very partial to the biography that was posted about you...you know the thread about the greatest American Soccer player ever...just one thing, what was it like living during the "roaring 20's?" I hear a lot of things about that time, so we'd like to know from someone who has experienced it first hand....:D :D :D

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
"I can't remember the 20's."

Yep, sure sign of aging...you start to forget, but at your age you've held out pretty good...

:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts