Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By RONALD BLUM
.c The Associated Press

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - The United States' 3-2 upset of Portugal in the World Cup got the largest audience ever for a soccer game on ESPN2 despite its early morning start.

The Americans' win on Wednesday night, which began at 5 a.m. EDT, got a 1.19 rating and was watched in an average of 998,000 households, Nielsen Media Research said Thursday.

The previous high for ESPN2 was 834,000 households for France's victory over Italy in the semifinals of the 1998 World Cup.

Through 10 telecasts, ESPN2 is averaging 496,200 households, up from an average of 292,000 households for 23 games four years ago, when ESPN2 was received by far fewer homes. The first three telecasts on ESPN averaged 447,000 households, down from the 670,000 average for 27 games at the 1998 tournament in France.

Before the win by the United States, its biggest since a 1-0 defeat of England in 1950, Italy's 2-0 victory over Ecuador on Monday had attracted the most viewers, 582,000, a 0.7 rating. The least-watched game was Denmark's 2-1 win over Uruguay on Saturday, which got a 0.29 rating and was seen in 246,000 households.

Because of the time difference between the United States and Japan and South Korea, where the tournament is being played, games start at 1:30 a.m., 2:30 a.m., 3:30 a.m., 5 a.m., 7 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. EDT.

Four years ago, when the tournament was in France, games started mostly in the late morning and midafternoon EDT.

ESPN is received by 86.5 million homes, up from 74 million in 1998,and ESPN2 is received by 83.6 million, up from 57.7 million.

The rating is the percentage tuned to a broadcast among those homes that receive the cable network.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
:)

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,478 Posts
Great news guys...but Univision is kicking :ass: butt on the ratings !!!!

Good for them...since WC after WC they're always there when needed...and on FREE TV too !!! ;)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By RONALD BLUM
.c The Associated Press

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - Soccer fans around the United States stayed up late to watch America's 1-1 tie against South Korea in the World Cup, setting another ratings record for the sport on ESPN2.

The game, which started at 2:30 a.m. EDT Monday, got a 1.62 cable rating and was seen in an average of 1.36 million households, Nielsen Media Research said Tuesday.

The previous high for ESPN2 was 1.26 million households for a first-round Women's World Cup game between the United States and North Korea on June 27, 1999.

ESPN said Monday's game was watched by about 918,000 men aged 18-34, the most-watched program from 1-6 a.m. EDT among that group on a cable network with advertising since records began in August 1991.

ESPN2's first 25 broadcasts are averaging a 0.64 cable rating and 540,000 households, 6 1/2 times more than watched during the same time periods last year. ESPN's five broadcasts have averaged 547,000 homes, slightly more than double the average viewership during that time period last year.

The Americans' final first-round game, against Poland on Friday at 7:30 a.m., will be televised by ESPN.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Maybe this will convince them to show some more soccer matches and possibly in prime time instead of those damn reruns of the World's Strongest Man:mad: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Deniz said:
Maybe this will convince them to show some more soccer matches and possibly in prime time instead of those damn reruns of the World's Strongest Man:mad: :rolleyes:
Not base on the quote I heard from an ESPN anchor this morning ...

It's not verbatem, but ... close enogh.

"... all this soccer makes me want to see some "real football" ..."

... spring training has started for the NFL.

This from the primary sports network in the nation.

I have to say thet their coverage of the WC has been poor. Including the picture quality sucks. I thought it was my TV, but Univision is like HDTV and ESPN is fuzzy 1970 color.

FOX Sports World .. Pleasestep up to the plate ...

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
TP said:

Including the picture quality sucks. I thought it was my TV, but Univision is like HDTV and ESPN is fuzzy 1970 color.
Yeah, what is with that? It is really bad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts