Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The U.S. will be without Claudio Reyna and John O'Brien for the May 12 match at RFK. Both will be in Europe playing for their club teams, though for very different reasons. Reyna will be trying to help Sunderland avoid relegation while O'Brien will be trying to help Ajax win the Dutch league championship.

Also, the Wash. Post reports today that Fulham is refusing to release Eddie Lewis until May 11, which would make it impossible for him to play on May 12. The Fulham decision is bizarre since Lewis hasn't played for the first team all year.

Without those three, the U.S. will probably go with a midfield of Beasley, Armas, Donovan and Stewart.

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,488 Posts
Is Uruguay bringing most of their guns ??? Recova's Italian stint ends this weekend, as with all Uruguayans in Italy ... Maybe theyll field a strong team ..

:cool:

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
I would like to see them coming with their "A" team. We normally play well at home, so it will be a good measure on how we match up with a good S. American team.

G

·
Herndonite said:
Also, the Wash. Post reports today that Fulham is refusing to release Eddie Lewis until May 11, which would make it impossible for him to play on May 12. The Fulham decision is bizarre since Lewis hasn't played for the first team all year.
Jean Tigana is an ass.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: U.S. vs. Uruguay

Astorian said:

Jean Tigana is an ass.
Well, I guess that explains that. ;) :D

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I dont know much but I always get USA NT games on ABC.

I'm not sure how many players will come.

I know for sure Carini & Montero cant come bc there playing in the final of the Coppa Italia.

Dario Silva, Nicolas Oliveria, Gonzalo De Los Santos, Reguerio will still have one more game left in La liga.

But Recoba, Sorondo, O'Neill, Abreu, Guigou and all the local players will be availible for the game.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Here is the list of 21 players that will travel to Washington.

Goal Keepers:

Gustavo Munúa (Nacional)
Federico Elduayen (Penarol)

Defenders:

Gustavo Méndez, Alejandro Lembo (Nacional)
Joe Bizera, Darío Rodríguez (Penarol)
Gonzalo Sorondo (Inter, Italy)

Midfielders:

Federico Magallanes, Pablo García (Venezia, Italy)
Gianni Guigouy (Roma, Italy)
Nicolás Olivera (Sevilla, Spain)
Gonzalo De Los Santos (Valencia, Spain)
Sebastián Eguren (Wanderers)
Ruben Olivera (Danubio)
Fabián O' Neil (Perugia, Italy)
Diego perez (Defensor)

Forwards:

Alvaro Recoba (Inter, Italy)
Richard Morales, Daniel Fonseca (Nacional)
Sebastián Abreu (Cruz Azul, Mexcio)

Multifunctioanl:

Gustava Varela (Nacional)

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Washington Post was reporting that Lewis will be released in time by Fulham. I assume he'll start in place of Beasley with Beasley coming on as a sub (a role he'll likely play in the Cup).

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Time to speculate on who will play for the U.S.

Here is who I predict will start and who will sub:

Friedel

Sanneh Pope Agoos Regis

Stewart Donovan Armas Lewis

Mathis McBride

Second Half and Subs

Keller

Hejduk Pope Berhalter Mastroeni

Jones Donovan Armas Beasley

Wolff Mathis

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agoos Online Chat Friday

U.S. MNT Defender and Four-Time MLS Champ Jeff Agoos to Chat with Fans at www.ussoccerfan.com Friday at 1 p.m. ET

CHICAGO (Tuesday, May 7, 2002) — U.S. Men's National Team defender Jeff Agoos will chat live with fans on Friday (May 10) at 1 p.m. ET from Cary, N.C., where he and his World Cup teammates are currently training in preparation for the three-game “Nike Road to Korea” series.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know it is four days away, but the weather for Sunday is looking iffy. They are calling for rain and thunderstorms. :depress: :mad:

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
The sadium is almost sold out. Uruguay will have a strong fan support for an estimated 8,000 people. But of course they will be overshadowed by the american support.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sebastian50 said:
The sadium is almost sold out. Uruguay will have a strong fan support for an estimated 8,000 people. But of course they will be overshadowed by the american support.
Sold out? Where did you hear that, Sebastian? I'd be very surprised by that.

The weather is still looking bad. 50-60 percent chance of rain.

For those going to the match, remember to wear RED.

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,488 Posts
Preview: USA v. Uruguay

05/11/2002.

Uruguay and the United States clash on Sunday at RFK Stadium in Washington D.C. in the first of three quick tune-ups before the World Cup for both sides. Coach Victor Pua named 27 players for matches against team USA, China and Singapore over the next ten days, during which the embattled coach will make evaluations and decisions on how best to pare his side down to the mandatory 23.

In a day where coaches are highly criticized for omitting old stars (e.g. Trapattoni and Baggio, Scolari and Romario), Pua has come under fire for the inclusion of veteran Daniel Fonseca. The unpopular veteran has bounced from Juventus to River Plate and to Nacional since the beginning of the year, seeing scant minutes.

For team USA, the complete side has been named and the only real controversy within the squad is over whom coach Bruce Arena will name as his #1 'keeper. Brad Friedel will get an opportunity to audition for the top goalkeeping spot on the team. Kasey Keller is on club duty with Tottenham, meaning Friedel can expect to go the full 90 for the Americans on Sunday. Keller then will hope to get the call against Jamaica and/or Holland, USA's next two opponents.

Also on display likely will be attacker Clint Mathis, who's club future has been speculated endlessly in American online media ever since his two-goal performance in Rostock. Another good performance from the current NY/NJ MetroStar may have the forward inking a deal with a European club within the next few weeks. But Mathis will be under pressure all afternoon by Pua's able defensive unit, led by captain Paolo Montero.

In midfield, Alvaro Recoba may have the opportunity to run rampant with USA skipper Claudio Reyna absent for club duty. Arena may experiment with a 3-5-2 during part of the match in an attempt to slow down any Uruguayan counter attacks.

:cool:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Preview: USA v. Uruguay
USA - Uruguay | News Archive

Pua has had to defend some of his decisions lately.
05/11/2002. Uruguay and the United States clash on Sunday at RFK Stadium in Washington D.C. in the first of three quick tune-ups before the World Cup for both sides. Coach Victor Pua named 27 players for matches against team USA, China and Singapore over the next ten days, during which the embattled coach will make evaluations and decisions on how best to pare his side down to the mandatory 23.

In a day where coaches are highly criticized for omitting old stars (e.g. Trapattoni and Baggio, Scolari and Romario), Pua has come under fire for the inclusion of veteran Daniel Fonseca. The unpopular veteran has bounced from Juventus to River Plate and to Nacional since the beginning of the year, seeing scant minutes.

For team USA, the complete side has been named and the only real controversy within the squad is over whom coach Bruce Arena will name as his #1 'keeper. Brad Friedel will get an opportunity to audition for the top goalkeeping spot on the team. Kasey Keller is on club duty with Tottenham, meaning Friedel can expect to go the full 90 for the Americans on Sunday. Keller then will hope to get the call against Jamaica and/or Holland, USA's next two opponents.

Also on display likely will be attacker Clint Mathis, who's club future has been speculated endlessly in American online media ever since his two-goal performance in Rostock. Another good performance from the current NY/NJ MetroStar may have the forward inking a deal with a European club within the next few weeks. But Mathis will be under pressure all afternoon by Pua's able defensive unit, led by captain Paolo Montero.

In midfield, Alvaro Recoba may have the opportunity to run rampant with USA skipper Claudio Reyna absent for club duty. Arena may experiment with a 3-5-2 during part of the match in an attempt to slow down any Uruguayan counter attacks.

soccerage

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
oopss...sorry...same article... :eek::embarass:

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
2-1 U.S.A

Watched the game because the weather here sux and everyone stayed home. I thought it was probably the most entertaining match the U.S has played in a while. There was some nice play, rough play and you could tell both teams were trying. I think the U.S have a great player in Beasley, the guy knows what he is doing, much better than Donovan.

You guys have to admit you got a break on the second Abreu goal, it was clearly a goal but saying that he missed a break-away and to be honest, he is not NT material for me. But that still doesn't make up for some terrible officiating, those guys sucked today.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Can anyone comment on the first half. I only got to see the second half because that is all my local station showed. They've decided to show a crappy baseball team play every sunday instead. Today it is raining so they finally went to the game in the second half.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts