Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Under-21: Gentile drops Cassano again Thursday 11 April, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Claudio Gentile has once more left Antonio Cassano out of the Under-21 squad for next week’s friendly against France.

The pair have famously clashed on several occasions in the last 18 months but it was thought that the Roma youngster would be part of the set-up for this summer’s European Championships.

However, this latest set-back seems to have once more jeopardised his place in the squad for the Swiss hosted tournament.

Gentile is set to use the France test to try out a few experiments in the midfield after it was confirmed this week that regular Enzo Maresca of Juventus will miss the finals with injury.

The central midfield partnership is now set to consist of Milan’s Massimo Donati and Bologna playmaker Matteo Brighi.

Brescia stopper Daniele Bonera has been included which means he will again miss out on selection for the full squad. Giovanni Trapattoni’s side will play Uruguay next Wednesday.

The full squad for Tuesday’s U-21 game in Como reads: Bellini (Atalanta); Blasi & Gatti (Perugia); Bonazzoli, Ferrari & Marchionni (Parma); Bonera (Brescia); Brighi & Zaccardo (Bologna); Paolo Cannavaro & Gilardino (Verona); Castellini (Torino); Donati & Pirlo (Milan); Iaquinta & Pinzi (Udinese); Lucchini (Ternana); Maccarone (Empoli); Pelizzoli (Roma); Rossi (Venezia).

Meanwhile, Inter midfielder Stephane Dalmat has been included in the French Under-21 squad.

channel4

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Probable line up:

Rossi
Bonera - Ferrari - P.Cannavaro
Marchionni - Brighi - Donati - Bellini
Pirlo
Bonazzoli - Maccarone

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
It's great to play France as they are also one of the seeded teams at the European Championships in May. We will probably meet them again in the final I reckon.

Althought it wouldn't be that bad to lose this game it is always good to win and gain a phsycholgical edge if the two teams meet again in Switzerland.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
mdelpiero10 said:
Actually we're not even seeded in the U-21 tournament.
I think it was France and the host nation who were seeded.
Italy are seeded because they are the defending champions and France are seeded because they have the best results coefficient from qualifying games and play-offs for the tournament.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Hi guys...can someone please help me a bit?
I am about to buy new Italy shirt and i was wondering whom i want to be on that shirt.
I already have Vieri´s shirt and now i just wanna new one, but not Vieri this time...some rising star maybe.
Maybe striker or a talent playmaker, but dont Pirlo, because...you know why.;) I thought that i want Maccarone shirt, but i havent seen him play...ever, so i dont know how good is he?
And what is his number??21?
Have you guys any idea on that?
Hope someone answer, because i wanna order that shirt tomorrow...thanks. :)

Cioa,
Tommi

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Maybe Marchionni? He's one of the brightest talants in Italy. And then there are players like Bonera and Brighi, but they are probably not fancy enough to wear as a shirt?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Thanks Enola...that is probably good idea, because Marchionni is very good and all.
Do you know what is he´s shirt number?
I mean in U-21´s team...

Ciao,
Tommi

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Marchionni's shirt number is 7.
Maccarone is usually 9.
By the way Maresca is also a future star in the making, too bad he's going to miss out this summer U-21 championship due to injury.
I hope Brighi can replace Maresca in the midfield.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
How good Marchionni is anyway...i just looked Parma´s lineup against Roma and he was in bench the whole game.
Does he usually play at a starting lineup?
Is he creative?...i just wanna know more guys.:)

Ciao,
Tommi

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Marchionni is all that you can ask for in a winger:
A speedster, w/ really good dribbling and pretty good crosser & passer.
Why he got benched all the time is a disgrace to Italian football & Serie A for wasting Italian talents for worthless foreigners.
I'm afraid his fate is just like Pirlo, they were both always benched even though they deserved to be in the starting 11.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
thanks...:)

ok..i disturb you again.
Is Matteo Brighi better than Marchionni?
Is Brighi playmaker? And what number Brighi wears in U-21 NT?
And if you were me..whom would you pick in my shirt?
Thanks again.:)

Ciao,
Tommi

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
The reason Marchionni is benched is purely tactical and has nothing to do with any worthless foreigner taking his spot.
Saying that, I really want us to play with wingers next season, so we can see what Marchionni really is capable of. :)

·
Star Player
4,328 Posts
Go for Brighi, as long as he gets 1st team football next season, he'll be in the senior squad (He better be!) Sorry, I can't tell you what his number is.

Marchionni, I was expecting better from him this season with Parma, he really exites me. The way he links with Maccarone for the Azzurrini is great, I'm surprised Parma didn't take up the option on him, I'd love to see those 2 together in Serie A. But he's still young, so there's plenty of time.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
This might be a decent game and should be a good test for the juniors. King do you know if it'll be on here in Australia?
Cassano being dropped is not such a big deal though, he's not really one of the key players more like a bonus. :)

ok..i disturb you again.
Is Matteo Brighi better than Marchionni?
Is Brighi playmaker? And what number Brighi wears in U-21 NT?
It's hard to say who is better because they are in different positions. Brighi is a centre mid who can be a playmaker and Marchionni is a winger. Brighi has probably had a better season but I also think he has started more games. Both of them play well for the U-21.

FORZA AZZURRINI!!!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
If you want to compare Brighi, I think he should be compared to Maresca not Marchionni.
And I think Maresca is a little bit better than Brighi in U-21.
Too bad Maresca is not going to the U-21 championship this summer through injury. So I guess Brighi will finally be in the starting line-up.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
ok..i already ordered Marchionni´s shirt...hope he will be good.:hopefull: and i hope he will be at NT someday..i really hope that now.:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts