Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Claudio Gentile has called nineteen players for the friendly match that the Under 21 team will play against Sweden, on Tuesday, April 27th, in Trento (9:00 pm).

This will be the last friendly match for the Under 21 team before the European Championships that will be held in Germany from May27th to June 8th.

Here are the players called by Gentile:

Goalkeepers: Agliardi (Brescia), Zotti (Roma);

Defenders: Barzagli (Chievo Verona), Bonera (Parma), Bovo (Lecce), Chiellini (Livorno), Moretti (Bologna), Potenza (Parma), Zaccardo (Bologna);

Midfielders: Brighi (Brescia), D'Agostino (Roma), Donadel (Parma), Mesto (Reggina), Palombo (Sampdoria), Pinzi (Udinese);

Forwards: Caracciolo (Brescia), Del Nero (Brescia), Gilardino (Parma), Sculli (Chievo Verona).

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Thanx for the squad Arianna

No Amelia :cool:

Zotti
Zaccardo Bonera Barzagli Moretti
Pinzi Brighi Donadel
D'Agostino Del Nero
Gilardino

My team for the match :cool:

I predict 1-0 for Italy U21... Gilardino with another.

·
Registered
45,561 Posts
Palombo is a good defensive midfielder but I'd like him to participate more in building the actions. In this under21 team he can be a good sub when we are winning the match and we have just to control.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
U21: Gentile brings in Brescia four Sunday 25 April, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Claudio Gentile has brought in four Brescia starlets for next week’s friendly test against Sweden.

This will be the final match before the European Under-21 Championship kicks off in May, so the Coach is whittling down his options for the final squad.

Goalkeeper Federico Agliardi, midfielder Matteo Brighi and forwards Andrea Caracciolo and Simone Del Nero are battling for places in the tournament.

Gentile has also called up Parma stars Daniele Bonera and Alberto Gilardino, suggesting that they won’t be part of the senior side at Euro 2004, but it is not out of the question that they could compete in both tournaments.

The friendly game against Sweden will be staged in Trento on Tuesday evening.

Italy Under-21 squad: Agliardi (Brescia), Zotti (Roma); Barzagli (Chievo), Bonera, Potenza (Parma), Bovo (Lecce), Chiellini (Livorno), Moretti, Zaccardo (Bologna); Brighi (Brescia), D’Agostino (Roma), Donadel (Parma), Mesto (Reggina), Palombo (Sampdoria), Pinzi (Udinese); Caracciolo, Del Nero (Brescia), Gilardino (Parma), Sculli (Chievo)

channel4

·
Registered
7,323 Posts
Every touch by Gila was just perfect. :star: What a luck for Sweden that he was replaced by Caracciolo in 30th minute. Andrea made it 3-0 in the second half anyway... but still- Gila is off.

P.S. I love Gilardino! :heart:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
U21: Four-Star Azzurrini Tuesday 27 April, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alberto Gilardino confirmed his fantastic form with a brace in tonight’s 4-0 international friendly win over Sweden.

It took the Parma hitman just 27 minutes to hit the back of the net twice in this last test before the European Under-21 Championships.

The opening goal came after a Marco Donadel free kick caused panic in the box, but after Giuseppe Sculli’s effort rattled the crossbar Gilardino was ready to pounce with a close-range header.

The Azzurrini laid siege to Alvbage’s net with Sculli and Cristian Zaccardo going close, but just before the half-hour mark Gilardino rifled in a fierce left-foot strike.

It was one of the star forward’s final contributions, as he was substituted soon after for Brescia’s Andrea Caracciolo. The Parma man was allowed to rest, although some claim he will make a surprise senior debut in tomorrow’s match against Spain.

Coach Claudio Gentile made a series of changes during the second half but Italy continued to dominate as Sculli set up Caracciolo’s header for a third.

Chievo striker Sculli played a hand in every goal and put his own name on the scoresheet by nodding in Bologna fullback Zaccardo’s cross.

Italy 4-0 Sweden

Scorers: Gilardino 9, 27 (I), Caracciolo 51 (I), Sculli 73 (I)

Italy U21: Agliardi (Zotti 46); Zaccardo, Bonera (Potenza 46), Barzagli (Bovo 63), Moretti (Chiellini 56); Mesto, Palombo (D'Agostino 53), Donadel (Brighi 46), Del Nero; Sculli, Gilardino (Caracciolo 33)

Sweden U21: Alvbage, M Andersson (Stenman 65), Antonsson, Dorsin; J Andersson (Gerrbrand 46), Nillson, Rosenberg (Ishizaki 63), Hysen (Stefanidis 53), L Nillson, Farnerud

Ref: Serea (Rom)

channel4

·
Star Player
4,328 Posts
It was as easy as the score suggests, the Swedes were truely awful though. Sculli was the best player IMO, he isn't as talented as some of his teammates but he always gives 100% and caused alot of trouble for the Swedish defence all night. Strange that 3 of the 4 goals were headers.

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i saw the first half only and the beginning of the second , just for see Lai (swede player of Salernitana) but he didnt played:mad:
I must say: Thanks Gentile!!! Because Pinzi didn't played! Nice thing because sunday we have a direct match with Samp!

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
A very attacking line-up and 4 goals :cool: We demolished a not so bad team here and Gilardino has to go to EUro 2004. Borriello can easily come into the squad and Caracciolo can start, it will still be a good team.

I like the fact Del Nero, Scullu and Gilardino played. It seems a very promising team with no real big names except Bonera and Gilardino in the team.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts