Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
U-21 draw suits Azzurrini Wednesday 11 February, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Italy will face Serbia, Belarus and Croatia in the group stages of the Under-21 European Championships.

Claudio Gentile’s boys are in Group A of the tournament that will be staged in Germany this summer.

Italy, who will play their matches in Bochum and Oberhausen, need to finish first or second in order to make the semi-finals.

Group B consists of hosts Germany plus Switzerland, Sweden and the very dangerous Portugal. Those ties will be played in the cities of Mainz and Manheim.

The event kicks off on May 27 and the final is set for June 8. The winners, runners-up and the third placed side will also qualify for the Olympic games tournament.

channel4

==============

Gentile warns of Belarus threat Wednesday 11 February, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Claudio Gentile and his top stars confess they are content with the European Under-21 Championships draw, but warn the opening game is cause for concern.

“Short of choosing our own opponents it could not have gone better,” admits the Coach.

Italy were paired with Belarus, Serbia-Montenegro and Croatia for group phase of the tournament which kicks off in May.

“The other group was a tougher prospect with the Czech Republic, who eliminated holders Switzerland, Sweden, Portugal and the hosts Germany.”

The opening game will be against Belarus and Gentile warns that this is a test not to be underestimated.

“The other teams in our group certainly aren’t poor,” he insisted, “but Belarus have more quality and we cannot afford mistakes in the first match. The fact these are all Eastern European sides means it is difficult to get much research done beforehand.”

The Azzurrini stars were also relatively happy with the draw for this tournament.

“It was important to avoid Germany and Portugal in the opening phase,” noted striker Alberto Gilardino, “but it remains a tough challenge to reach the Final.”

Parma defender Paolo Cannavaro recalls the qualifying clashes with Serbia-Montenegro and maintains they will be more prepared this time.

“The fact that we know Serbia-Montenegro already is a bonus, but Portugal are undoubtedly the team we didn’t want to be paired with.”

channel4

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
The squad to face Greece in a friendly:

Questi i ventuno giocatori convocati dal tecnico federale Claudio Gentile:

Portieri: Amelia (Parma), Zotti (Roma);
Difensori: Barzagli (Chievo), Bovo (Lecce), Cannavaro (Parma), Moretti (Bologna), Pasquale (Inter), Zaccardo (Bologna);
Centrocampisti: Brighi (Brescia), De Rossi (Roma), Donadel (Parma), Donati (Sampdoria), Mesto (Reggina), Palombo (Sampdoria), Pinzi (Udinese), Rosina (Parma);
Attaccanti: Caracciolo (Brescia), D'Agostino (Roma), Del Nero (Brescia), Gilardino (Parma), Sculli (Chievo).

Nice squad, but no Boriello :rolleyes: Agliardi :rolleyes: Aquilani :rolleyes: Calaio :rolleyes: and so on

My team:

Zotti
Zaccardo Bovo Cannavaro Pasquale
Mesto Brighi De Rossi D'Agostino
Gilardino Del Nero

that would be my team!!!

Pinzi may play, but we know what he can do, Id rather give Mesto a chance.. same with why I leave out Sculli for Del Nero!!!!

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I would also play DInadel and Rosina at least half a game!!!

·
Registered
7,323 Posts
Deano said:
I would also play Donadel and Rosina at least half a game!!!
Yes yes yes.

I haven't seen Bovo yet. I know he's a regular for Lecce but is he really better than Barzagli? I like the Chievo defender.

Mesto is a good player but I'd give a chance to Pinzi anyway. Same goes to Del Nero, Sculli is my choice. Partnership Sculli & Gilardino has a potential.

Where is Gasba btw? Injured?

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
Märco said:
Yes yes yes.

I haven't seen Bovo yet. I know he's a regular for Lecce but is he really better than Barzagli? I like the Chievo defender.

Mesto is a good player but I'd give a chance to Pinzi anyway. Same goes to Del Nero, Sculli is my choice. Partnership Sculli & Gilardino has a potential.

Where is Gasba btw? Injured?
Gasba not in good form....
and Gentile choose to call only Serie A players this time
Bovo is nice like Barza:D....
i prefer Del Nevo to Sculli:eek: :D

·
Registered
7,323 Posts
Arianna said:
Gasba not in good form....
and Gentile choose to call only Serie A players this time
Bovo is nice like Barza:D....
i prefer Del Nevo to Sculli:eek: :D
Many people are against Sculli because he doesn't score a lot. Well but I think he's able to score more. He missed a lot in the last 2 matches with '21 but that was just because he had been benched in Chievo all the time. Apart from scoring ability he was absolutely ideal partner for Gilardino and I'd choose this Beppe. Del Nero is great too but just that I like Sculli.

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
Märco said:
Many people are against Sculli because he doesn't score a lot. Well but I think he's able to score more. He missed a lot in the last 2 matches with '21 but that was just because he had been benched in Chievo all the time. Apart from scoring ability he was absolutely ideal partner for Gilardino and I'd choose this Beppe. Del Nero is great too but just that I like Sculli.
No nooooooo i'm not one of those who are against Sculli!!!!
I like Sculli!:)
Just i'd like to see Del Nero on field:tongue:

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Del Nero has more skill

Bovo is a future great defender ofr italy if given the chance, ive been impressed with him more than any other U21 including Cannavaro, Zaccardo etc.

Pinzi we all know what he can do so he doesnt need to impress, which is why I say mesto should start RM!!!

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gentile calls in new boys Thursday 12 February, 2004

Coach Claudio Gentile has called up some new faces for the Under-21 international friendly against Greece.

The tactician has decided to use next Tuesday¡¦s test in Athens to try out some new players with this summer¡¦s European Championships on the horizon.

Roma goalkeeper Carlo Zotti is included in the 21-man party after his recent fine displays for the Giallorossi.

With Parma¡¦s Daniele Bonera still out injured, Gentile has given Lecce defender Cesare Bovo a chance to impress.

New names in midfield include Marco Donadel and Alessandro Rosina of Parma, with Reggina¡¦s highly rated Giandomenico Mesto also getting the nod.

In attack, Marco Borriello¡¦s lack of action with Milan again sees him left out. Brescia¡¦s Simone Del Nero has been included instead.

Goalkeepers: Amelia (Parma), Zotti (Roma)

Defenders: Barzagli (Chievo), Bovo (Lecce), Paolo Cannavaro (Parma), Moretti (Bologna), Pasquale (Inter), Zaccardo (Bologna)

Midfielders: Brighi (Brescia), De Rossi (Roma), Donadel (Parma), Donati (Sampdoria), Mesto (Reggina), Palombo (Sampdoria), Pinzi (Udinese), Rosina (Parma)

Forwards: Caracciolo (Brescia), D'Agostino (Roma), Del Nero (Brescia), Gilardino (Parma), Sculli (Chievo)

Meanwhile, the schedule for the European Championships Finals in Germany has been drawn up.

Group A:
May 27
Italy - Belarus (Bochum)
Serbia - Croatia (Oberhausen)

May 29
Belarus - Croatia (Oberhausen)
Italy - Serbia (Bochum)

June 1
Italy - Croatia (Bochum)
Belarus - Serbia (Oberhausen)

Group B:
May 28
Germany - Switzerland (Magonza)
Sweden - Portugal (Mannheim)

May 30
Germany - Sweden (Mannheim)
Switzerland - Portugal (Magonza)

June 2
Germany - Portugal (Magonza)
Switzerland - Sweden (Mannheim)

Semi Finals
June 5
Group A winner ¡V Group B runner-up (Oberhausen)
Group B winner ¡V Group A runner-up (Bochum)

Third Place play-off: June 8 (Oberhausen)

Final: June 8 (Bochum)

channel4

·
Registered
222 Posts
I believe that Serbia & Montenegro will prevail over Italy in the group we have an amazing squad. They are not afraid of the Azzurini.

Remember when our senior teams met a few months ago in Beograd we should have scored 5, and that idiot referee pretended not to see Fabio Cannavaro receive the ball in the box with both of his hands touching it, he denied us a clear penalty.

Remember what happened the last time our U-21's met?

1:0 Mijailovic free kick (not to be confused with Lazio's Mihajlovic) :D

So maybe your coach Gentile should keep his mouth shut until the game has begun. We will just see how pleased he was with the group after it has been played out.

Victory shall be ours!

Italy can fight it out with Croatia for 2nd place.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
U-21 call overwhelms Mesto Friday 13 February, 2004

Reggina¡¦s Giandomenico Mesto has admitted that he was surprised to learn of his Under-21 call-up.

"It is an honour to have been included," said the Napoli-born player. "I have been dreaming of this for some time but wasn¡¦t really expecting it right now.

"I was just concentrating on doing well with my club in a bid to repeat the performances which saw us beat Parma and Lazio earlier this season."

The midfielder was one of five new names to appear in Claudio Gentile¡¦s squad for Tuesday¡¦s friendly in Greece.

"This call up is recognition of the good work which I have done. It would have been great if my teammate Stefano Dall¡¦Acqua was also included. But it is still a great honour."

Mesto has been in good form for the Stadio Granillo outfit with transfer whispers suggesting that both Milan and Juventus are keeping an eye on him.

Another player shocked by his inclusion was Alessandro Rosina who has been featuring for Parma of late.

"It was a surprise for me," said the young midfielder. "I was just getting on with my work and I didn¡¦t expect this to come right now at all.

"To wear the Azzurri shirt is certainly a great honour. Whether it is a friendly or an official match really doesn¡¦t matter.

"This is something special for me and it was a great feeling to know of my inclusion in the squad."

channel4

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I will be watching Mesto tomorrow night, I have seen him only once this season and he looks a quite good player :cool:

As for Rosina, well he seems very talented midfielder and deserves a chance!!!

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Has he called any replacements???

Mesto looks a quite good player, didnt see to much of him offensively though with the way Reggina played!!

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I think Chiellini has been called to replace Moretti

here is the probable team

Amelia;
Zaccardo, Barzagli, Cannavaro P., Pasquale;
Mesto, De Rossi, Brighi, Rosina;
Caracciolo, Sculli.

prediction: 1-0 - Sculli

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
boring and ugly match yesterday :D

by the way, i cant understand why Gentile still use Pinzi on the left....he's not good on the left,damnit!
He's right midfielder or center/right....but not leftttttttttttt:mad:

:heart: Giampi

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I thouhgt italy played quite well yesterday, created some good chances and played some nice stuff and way superior to Greece, one thing with Italy though is they never score enough, I think yesterday they tried to score too pretty and always looked for a great goal!!! Rosina and Mesto impressed me quite a bit... but I missed the first 1/2 hour...

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
Märco said:
I missed it all. More comments, please :drool:

(Italian '21 is my secret love :lala:)
Don't you like your Czech under 21's they are good? I must say though Italian under 21's are very interesting though...:happy:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts