Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1st Tier Poster
50,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunderland 2-3 Leeds
Leeds pulled off their first League win for six games to stun a bumper crowd.
Teenager Aaron Lennon marked his first League start by racing through to put Leeds ahead with his first goal but Liam Lawrence levelled with a penalty.

Brian Deane made it 2-1 by heading in Jermaine Wright's cross but Julio Arca hit the post and Stephen Elliott came close as Sunderland tried to equalise.

Julian Joachim converted Wright's cross to stretch Leeds' lead before Arca replied with a late free-kick.

Sunderland boss Mick McCarthy:
"I am always disappointed when we get beat and the fact we had a crowd of 43,253 only compounds the fact.
"We did our best and I don't think we let anybody down. I think we got mugged for the second goal as I had just made a substitution.

"It was extremely difficult when we went behind again, but we had chances to clear the ball and, when you put the ball on the head of Brian Deane, it is what he does best.

"The top teams have all lost and it just shows that not one of us is that much better than the other."

Leeds boss Kevin Blackwell:
"It is always enjoyable to win games. Sunderland is always a cracking to come to and both clubs have got to inspire to get back into the Premiership.
"We showed steel and determination when we had to and I am very pleased with the players.

"The crowd here frightens many teams and we are going through a massive transformation.

"Our squad was tested to the limit today. We had seven players under the age of 20 and four of them are still under 18.

"We have to make sure we do not burn them out."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunderland: Myhre, Wright, Breen, Caldwell, McCartney, Lawrence (Stewart 81), Whitehead, Robinson, Arca, Bridges (Elliott 60), Brown.
Subs Not Used: Alnwick, Whitley, Neill Collins.

Goals: Lawrence 43 pen, Arca 90.

Leeds: Sullivan, Kelly, Butler, Kilgallon, Pugh, Spring, Wright, Lennon (Joachim 78), Richardson, Deane (Ricketts 86), Healy (Woods 90).
Subs Not Used: Carson, Carlisle.

Booked: Kelly, Butler.

Goals: Lennon 30, Deane 61, Joachim 85.

Att: 43,253.

Ref: R Beeby (Northamptonshire).

Leeds 2-1 Plymouth
Leeds picked up a somewhat fortuitous victory against Plymouth to leapfrog the Pilgrims in the Championship table.
An own goal from Peter Gilbert gifted the hosts the lead after David Healey had whipped in a vicious low cross.

And Northern Ireland international Healy's neat lob over Romain Larrieu a minute from time doubled their lead.

Plymouth substitute Stevie Crawford's last-ditch effort proved little consolation, despite the visitors showing plenty of promise early on.

Leeds manager Kevin Blackwell:
"Ironically, it's probably the worst we've played in about two months.
"But I've got to give credit to Plymouth. They came here, did a good job, set their stall out with a deep back-four and someone sat in front, and playing with one striker.

"They have obviously had us watched and came here with a game-plan to stop us. But, overall, we deserved the win."

Plymouth manager Bobby Williamson on Healy's goal:
"Sean Gregan had already been booked. Matt Doumbe played the ball back comfortably to the goalkeeper and then Gregan has come in and fouled him.
"So the ball gets played back by our goalkeeper, while Doumbe is still rolling about and is on his way back up, but is playing Healy onside.

"It has been so costly because the referee and his assistant only assist when they feel it's necessary."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leeds: JSullivan, Kelly, Butler, Kilgallon, Richardson (Carlisle 80), Lennon, Wright, Gregan, Pugh, Healy, Deane (Joachim 45).
Subs Not Used: Carson, Ricketts, Spring.

Booked: Gregan, Joachim.

Goals: Gilbert 46 og, Healy 90.

Plymouth: Larrieu, Connolly, Doumbe, Wotton, Gilbert, Norris, Hodges, Gudjonsson, Adams (Evans 66), Capaldi (Friio 52), Keith (Crawford 78).
Subs Not Used: Lasley, Aljofree.

Booked: Connolly

Goals: Crawford 90.

Att: 34,496

Ref: G Salisbury (Lancashire).

----------------------------------------------------------

We're up to 14th now. :)

·
RIP Alton Ellis
5,659 Posts
Happy New year everyone. Went to Elland Road for the first time in 20 years because I live far away and came home really pleased. The standard of play was far from amateurish and the atmosphere was superb compared to top Spanish matches. Congrats to the Plymouth fans, who made a hell of a load of noise, and the big difference now at ER is that before all the noise came from the back of the Gelderd End and now it's all round the ground.
The goals were far better than reporters suggested and Healy's was just superb. Kilgallon is going to be hard to hang on to. The only negative thing I can think of is the appalling facilities of the West Stand. Now I understand all that new ground stuff when that crook Ridsdale was living beyond his (or our!) means.
Can't wait to go back.

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
12,813 Posts
I saw the result and wondered if you guys think that Leeds might have finally got it together in the "Championsip"? Until today!

0-2 loss to Crewe! Is that Leeds trouble at present? Too Inconsistent?

Also is Gregan still trying to play 50 yard cross field balls to the linesman?

·
1st Tier Poster
50,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is no balance in the squad. We have different lineup every game. And our team simply lacks quality.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Balis-of-Steel said:
I saw the result and wondered if you guys think that Leeds might have finally got it together in the "Championsip"? Until today!

0-2 loss to Crewe! Is that Leeds trouble at present? Too Inconsistent?

Also is Gregan still trying to play 50 yard cross field balls to the linesman?
Crewe are the inform team of the championship, anyone who gets a point of them at the minute should be pleased.

That word Inconsistent is a popular word in the championship at the moment, can be said for just about everyone, but that's the way the league is, makes for lots of frustrated fans, at least it makes it interesting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts