Xtratime Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most calcio followers will be aware that legislation in Italy requires the Lega Calcio to sell the broadcasting rights for all Serie A games (it might include Serie B games too, depending on a legal challenge which was being made last year) in a single package from 2010/11, rather than on a club-by-club basis as has been the case for several years.

Although Infront has been appointed to advise on the selling of the rights, I have not seen any news of a broadcast rights sale process getting underway. I suspect this might be because of a delay in electing a new Lega president. Given that this contract will start in 16 months' time, I think it is about time that they began selling, especially to foreign broadcasters.

Does anyone know whether selling the rights collectively will yield more total revenue than selling them club-by-club? If not, then the big clubs will experience a considerable drop in their income because, if I recall correctly, 50% of the total revene is split equally, with a further 25% based on performance and the final 25% based on viewing figures. This could be significant because TV contracts have formed the largest part of the revenue for Serie A clubs in recent years.

Do you think we will see the prospect of this contract felt in this summer's mercato? The problem for clubs is that they will presumably not know how much revnue they will receive from TV after next season if the sales process does not begin soon.

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
No-one cares to answer?

Roadrunner: where did yu read about the 50-25-25 sharing figures? They conflict with those I could read in various sources, including Channel4, which mentioned 40% split equally, 30% based on the vague notion of 'history of the side' (which I take means sporting results of current year and since 5 years) and another 30% based on number of fans (what does it take into account exactly?).

Does Toni or anyone else know of the actual distribution keys, provided there's a solid agreement on that between the clubs?

Also, does anyone have reliable figures for numbers of subcribers to Sky Italia and Premium Calcio?

·
Administrator
53,562 Posts
I havent heard much mention of this, except that when I read about a while back, I read Juve would actually get richer on this, that it would be more profitable due to the critieras for the cuts, and the fact collective deal with garner more money in overall.

·
Laziale, Independent
6,075 Posts
Well, in general I hope clubs will get more money in order to have chances to compete in transfer markets.

However, knowing Italian club owners, I doubt everything will be settled in an easy way.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is correct, the split is 40% equal distribution, 30% based on performance and 30% based on viewing figures.

Juventus will probably be the biggest loser, after all the whole point of the law is to make the distribution of revenue more equitable. How could that be achieved if the revenue of the highest earning clubs increased?

·
Registered
48,510 Posts
Does Toni or anyone else know of the actual distribution keys, provided there's a solid agreement on that between the clubs?
This is the official document of the decree

http://www.pogas.it/cms-upload/decreto-delegato-diritti-televisivi.pdf

Articolo 25
(Ripartizione delle risorse fra i soggetti partecipanti a ciascuna competizione.
1. La ripartizione delle risorse fra i soggetti partecipanti a ciascuna competizione è
effettuata in modo da garantire l'attribuzione in parti uguali di una quota prevalente,
nonché l'attribuzione delle restanti quote anche in base al bacino di utenza e ai risultati
sportivi conseguiti da ciascuno di essi.
2. La quota delle risorse da distribuire in parti uguali fra tutti i partecipanti a ciascuna
competizione non può essere comunque inferiore al 40 per cento.
3. La quota determinata sulla base del risultato sportivo non può essere inferiore alla
quota determinata sulla base del bacino d’utenza.
4. Fermo restando quanto previsto dall’articolo 26, i criteri di ripartizione delle risorse
fra i soggetti partecipanti alla competizione sono determinati con deliberazione adottata
dall’assemblea di categoria dell’organizzatore della competizione medesima con la
maggioranza qualificata dei tre quarti degli aventi diritto al voto.
Articolo 26
(Prima ripartizione delle risorse del Campionato di calcio di serie A)
1. In sede di prima applicazione del presente decreto e tenuto conto delle regole
determinate dall’organizzatore dei campionati di calcio di serie A e B, la ripartizione
delle risorse assicurate dalla commercializzazione dei diritti audiovisivi relativi al
Campionato italiano di calcio di serie A, dedotte le quote di mutualità di cui agli articoli
22 e 24, è effettuata, a partire dalla stagione sportiva 2010-2011, con le seguenti
modalità: una quota del 40 per cento in parti uguali tra tutti i soggetti partecipanti al
campionato di serie A, una quota del 30 per cento sulla base dei risultati sportivi
conseguiti e una quota del 30 per cento secondo il bacino di utenza.
2. La quota relativa al risultato sportivo, come individuata ai sensi del comma 1, è
determinata nella misura del 10 per cento sulla base dei risultati conseguiti da ciascuno
dei partecipanti alla competizione a partire della stagione sportiva 1946/47, nella misura
del 15 per cento sulla base dei risultati conseguiti nelle ultime cinque stagioni sportive e
nella misura del 5 per cento sulla base del risultato conseguito nell’ultima competizione
sportiva.
3. La quota relativa al bacino di utenza, come individuata ai sensi del comma 1, è
determinata nella misura del 25 per cento sulla base del numero di sostenitori di
ciascuno dei partecipanti alla competizione, così come individuati da una o più società
di indagini demoscopiche incaricate dall’organizzatore del campionato di calcio di serie A secondo i criteri dallo stesso fissati, e nella misura del 5 per cento sulla base della
popolazione del comune di riferimento della squadra.

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Thanks, Toni.

So the third criteria many mistake for 'viewing figures' is more surprisingly (or not?) based on city registration and the number of 'sostenitori'? Meaning what, surely not season-ticket holders, rather pay-per-view subscribers or more vague numbers - like Juve has 16 million tifosi - I gather?

·
Registered
48,510 Posts
Thanks, Toni.

So the third criteria many mistake for 'viewing figures' is more surprisingly (or not?) based on city registration and the number of 'sostenitori'? Meaning what, surely not season-ticket holders, rather pay-per-view subscribers or more vague numbers - like Juve has 16 million tifosi - I gather?
For the first season (according to the article 26) the 25% will be divided according to the number of supporters of each club indicated by the studies of one or more survey agencies (my gf could have the same weight of a tough ultras who is always behind his club), the remaining 5% will be divided according to the population of each city/town.

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Hence the third option: vague numbers. Hopefully they're the same survey agencies that have embellished our estimated fan base for years. Eventhough I dread for a nerazzurra fever with women. Make sure your gf sticks by Juve, Toni.

·
Registered
19,795 Posts
We miss many infos but a very imprecise figure of the percent could be done and a precise range of the percent too, even now. Yet, that probably requires some hours. No thanks! :D
:eek: You lazy bum :finger: :mad:

I wasn't asking you to do anything, just if there were some predictions of the figures released in newspapers yet... and maybe what the figures have been sofar.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts