Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 14.3%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turkey better be ready to crush China and hope that Brasil beats Costa Rica.

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,487 Posts
Turkey's World Cup future hanging by a thread

INCHEON, South Korea, June 9 (AFP)

Turkey's World Cup future was left hanging by a thread after they could only manage a 1-1 draw with Costa Rica in their Group C clash here on Sunday.
The draw booked Brazil's place in the next round but Turkey with only one point to Costa Rica's four must win against China in their final group match.
Costa Rica finish playing Brazil and a draw would send Turkey crashing out.
It was a heartbreak result for the Turks.
Victory looked to be theirs when thanks to the tenacity of Inter Milan midfielder Emre Belozoglu they took the lead in the 56th minute. The 22-year-old saw his shot from just inside the area blocked by Luis Marin but the ball came free and given a second chance Emre made no mistake - driving the ball hard and low past a helpless Erick Lonnis.
The relief on the Turkish players faces as the ball crossed the goalline was obvious.
But their relief quickly turned to consternation as Costa Rica threw everything into attack.
And with only four minutes left substitute Winston Parks found himself all alone in front of the goal. He made no mistake and blasted the ball past Rustu Recber.
Two minutes later Parks had a chance to seal victory but somehow managed to blast high over the bar with the goal at his mercy.
"It was a bitter disappointment for us," said Turkey coach Senol Gunes. "Some of my players were tired at the end and Costa Rica were able to equalise."
Gunes insisted Turkey could still go through to the next round.
"I am confident we will beat China and then we will wait for the right result of the Costa Rica-Brazil match," he said.
But his opposite number Alexandre Guimaraes remained confident his side could take a point off Brazil and kill Turkey's hopes of reaching the next round.
"It will be a very interesting game but my players showed their character today and against Brazil I am sure we can get a point and go into the last 16," said Guimaraes.
"We played some great football today and showed so much power. I'm very proud of the team," he added.
Carlos Castro caused all sorts of problems with his deep runs up the left side and Turkish keeper Rustu was forced to pull off a brilliant near post save from Wilmer Lopez.
Later Lopez broke into the box on the right but instead of slipping the ball to a waiting Ronald Gomez free on the left he blasted the ball high over the Turkish goal.
As Costa Rica continued to push forward the creaking Turkish defence somehow managed to keep Lopez, Gomez and Castro at bay until Parks last gasp goal.
Turkey were deprived of the services of defender Alpay Ozalan of Aston Villa and Galatasaray midfielder Hakan Unsal, who were both red-carded in the controversial Brazil clash and it showed.
Costa Rica were unlucky not to open the scoring when Gomez split the Turkish defence in the 35th minute with a pin-point pass that sent Walter Centeno bursting into the area.
But with only Recber to beat the 28-year-old somehow managed to blast it over the cross bar.
And that was the Costa Rica weakness. Chances galore but unable to get a shot on target.
The Costa Rican midfield were quick to close down the few Turkish advances. Hasan Sas had a rare chance to open the scoring for Turkey in the 25th minute when he slipped the Costa Rica offside trap.
But by the time Sas got off his shot the Costa Rican defence had closed in, blocking the shot then booting the lose ball clear of danger.

I Take Turkey over China, but I also predict a Costa Rica Brazil Tie :cap:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Let's hope the Chinese keep the fighting sprit and get our first ever goal. I don't mind the result (except a heavy defeat).

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
I predicted a tie personally. I dont think our team and especially the coach has what it takes to go through to the second round or qf mentally...

Indivdual players are good, but wrong tactics, players in wrong positions(hasan Sas striker!:eek: ) and mental weakness are our problems and unless we really put a spectacular performance on field, i think it would be a shame for the world cup if we passed to the next round.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
we will lead 3:0 and in the last second China will score 1 goal and we are out!

(oh of course Brasil will destroy Costa Rica in the meantime)

We have one thing that other teams don`t have: bad luck! (and no tactic):tongue:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Brazil going with subs!!!
Brazil going with subs!!!
Scolari said that his team will go on the field against Costa Rica with out Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Cafu and any other starter who does not want to play, who wants to rest.
This angers me because it is not just hurting Turkey, but people paid their tickets to see these players. They are getting a hell a lot of money. This is also a discrimanotory decision. It says that we want Costa Rica to go on.
But Brazil has great players, even their bench is world class team. I hope they'll beat Costa Rica, but it looks like Scholari don't want them too.
So I don't know if a victory against China will help us in this situtation. But I hope Turkey beats China too show that they can win a game. Damn!!!!

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
i think these 2 teams both will be playing as if they had a excellent chance to go into the next round
i just want china to score atleast one goal

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Here is my prediction:

Turkey: Very low on morale and worst of all controlled by a coach who is a pu##y. Expect them to come out very shaky and frustrated. Probably gonna play with the same tactic that never worked. 4-5-1 with Hakan Sukur alone in front who wouldnt even score against a under 18 team if he was to play aganist. And also expect a very horrible defense again which will need help from the linesman and the Chinese strikers.

China: Eager to get their first goal and first points. Will have a lot of supporters and will try to make a billion people happy. Have a good coach, will run too much which will finish a Turkish team like the one we saw vs Costa rica.

Score: China: 2 Turkey: 0

After the game I am hoping for Senol Gunes getting fired, and not getting a job again as a coach in any Turkish team for the good of Turkish soccer. Hakan Sukur retiring from national football and leaving his place for younger and willing players. Rustu going to a club in Europe so Galatasaray can win the title nexy year easily:D

·
Registered
470 Posts
Flying Hellfish said:
Here is my prediction:

Score: China: 2 Turkey: 0

After the game I am hoping for Senol Gunes getting fired, and not getting a job again as a coach in any Turkish team for the good of Turkish soccer. Hakan Sukur retiring from national football and leaving his place for younger and willing players. Rustu going to a club in Europe so Galatasaray can win the title nexy year easily:D
I hope so! After that, a great football future for both of our nations.:D

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
I am a bit more optimistic than Flying Hellfish:D

I think we will win 3-1 or 2-1, but I think Costa Rica might go through.

If Rustu feels better, then a shutout is possible.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Revenge :D

Let me be a bit realistic:
It is impossible for China to win against Turkey in this world cup or any other cups in this millennium or at least this century. Now let me give you some history lessons:

NO HISTORY LESSONS UNLESS THEY ARE RELATED TO FOOTBALL, REMEMBER NO POLITICS ARE ALLOWED IN XTRATIME!!!!!!

GABEMAR

We will destroy and pass over the Chinese this time; however, it does not change the other circumstances which makes so sure that Turkey is not gonna be qualified for the next round.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I have to admit Turkey is much stronger than us , thay have some great players like Suker, Emre,Okan and Hasan...... and also this game is much important for them;) I just hope our player can play like a professional player and have some fun :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why does everyone miss-spell Hakan Sukur's last name?
It is not Suker; it is Sukur!
Suker is another player in somewhere Europe. In Turkish Sukur means something like; "Thanks God"
Speaking of translation, in Chineese "Sinkiang" means, "new occupied lands".

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
World Cup Preview: Turkey-China
Turkey - China | News Archive

Turkey's top performer...Hasan Sas (Allsport)
06/12/2002. BACKGROUND

Costly lapses of concentration have left the Turks with it all to do when they take on eliminated World Cup debutantes China in Seoul on Thursday.

Turkey have contrived to cough up late goals in their controversial 2-1 loss to Brazil, as well as their unsatisfactory 1-1 tie against Costa Rica, which has put them in the desperately precarious situation of absolutely needing a win from their final Group C game, as well as a helping hand from Brazil in order to pip the Costa Ricans to second place. A Turkish victory coupled with a Costa Rican loss will not necessarily suffice for the Turks, however, as they and Brazil need to win by a combined margin of more than three goals to oust the Central American contenders. Even If Brazil and Turkey both manage to win by one goal Costa Rica would still take second due to a superior goal difference, so the Turks have little choice but to win convincingly.

All has not been well in the Turkish camp in the buildup to this crunch game, as the frustration of two luckless matches combined with the expectations of a nation have taken their toll on coach Senol Gunes and his warriors. The under-fire manager huffed out of a press conference on Wednesday after being criticized by the Turkish media for continuously using the fact that this is their first World Cup appearance since 1954 as an excuse for their underachievement at the tournament thus far. Goal shy star striker Hakan Sukur, in the meanwhile, has been quoted by a Turkish daily as saying that he would quit the national team after the World Cup because his team-mates are too selfish, though the Parma forward has vehemently denied ever having made such a statement.

China can approach the game relatively pressure-free, in stark contrast, though the 23 men representing the planet's most populous nation would gladly trade positions with their opponents. Two opening losses have effectively eliminated the Chinese from the competition, but they will be driven by pride, and the desire to gift coach Bora Milutinovic ?who has achieved demigod status in China ?a win in what is almost certainly going to be his last game in charge of the Reds.

Despite their two losses, the Chinese have shown signs that they are well on course to becoming a competitive side in the future. Their most promising performance, ironically, came during a 4-0 defeat to Brazil, as China quite often troubled the record World Champions with their admirable athleticism and neat passing, as well as managing to offer respectable resistance ?bar some fatal lapses of concentration and positional errors.

A win in their last game would make the inaugural appearance a bitter-sweet one for the Chinese, though the achieving of their first-ever World Cup goal may prove satisfaction enough considering the circumstances, as is highlighted by the recent statement of striker Yang Chen: "If I can score a goal in the match against Turkey, I will die without any regrets."

LATEST TEAM NEWS

Turkey: Exciting young Besiktas striker Ilhan Mansiz is set to start alongside Hakan Sukur against China, while Hakan Unsal and Alpay Ozalan make welcome returns from their red-card suspensions. Unavailable for selection are the midfield duo of Okan Buruk and Mustafa Izzet, as both are out injured.

China: Always reluctant to discuss line-ups before matches, Milutinovic would only say that he was planning to field his strongest side. Veteran full backs Fan Zhiyi ands Sun Jihai have been ruled out through injury, which all but guarantees promising young defender Du Wei another start.

PROBABLE LINE-UPS

Turkey: 4-4-2: Rustu; Fatih Akyel, Umit Ozat, Alpay, Ergun; Tugay Kerimoglu, Basturk, Emre Belozoglu, Hasan Sas; Hakan Sukur, Ilhan

China: 4-5-1: Jiang Jin; Du Wei, Li Weifeng, Wu Chengying, Xu Yunlong; Li Xiaopeng, Qi Hong, Li Tie, Zhao Junzhe, Ma Mingyu; Hao Haidong

WHO'S HOT

Hasan Sas: The silky-skilled attacker has had a good tournamen thus far, having played a prominent role in both of Turkey's goals. The chrome-domed Galatasaray star scored a memorable volley against Brazil and setup Emre for his go-ahead goal against Costa Rica with a clever chest-down. Sas' mesmeric trickery and hunger to get on the score-sheet definitely identities him as a man to watch for the Chinese defenders.

Qu Bo: The fleet-footed 20-year-old striker is considered one of the brightest young stars in Chinese football and he did much to bolster his reputation in the fifteen minutes he was granted against Brazil.

WHO'S NOT

Hakan Sukur: The former Galatasaray goal-machine has been desperately disappointing during Turkey's first two games, though truth be told he's been forced to feed of crumbs. The ability to make something out of nothing is the mark of any great strike, however, and so far the "Bull of the Bosphorus" has not looked capable of off concocting any magic.

Fan Zhiyi: China's most capped player was forced to sit out the Brazil match through injury and it is almost certain that he will have to content himself with the role of glorified cheerleader against Turkey. Shame really, as the 32-year-old former Crystal Palace defender is unlikely to feature in another World Cup.

PREVIOUS ENCOUNTERS

Turkey and China have met only one time in their history, which resulted in a 4-0 win for the Europeans in 1948. How the Turks would love a repeat of that result.

soccerage

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Turkey wins ay halftime 2 - 0 with this result they are through to the 2nd round since Costa rica is losing to Brasil 1 - 3. 45minutes left of drama.:D

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
I still dont trust them but we ll see...

agree, 45 min opf drama left..

costa rica also got some motiv ation now with their goal..

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
They probably would not get it. It is now 3-0 and Turkey are through. Barring any last minute Brazilian collapse. If there is, there is going to be some controversies.:)

paw;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts