Regardless of how far they go or not (the problem will be when they take it too far), or this has the potential to be abused (totally understand the outrage and controversy if thats the case), this still can be a good initiative. We muslims let way too many (of our own) distort and twist the meaning of the religion without challenging them.
Not only not challenge weird intpretations of it like its the norm, but we also dont speak up and accept too easily when cultural and traditional stuff that has zero to do with the religion, are professed as being the guidelines of the religion (to the point they totally ignore the meaning of the religion itself, and only concentrate on inventing their own versions of it all the time). Its important to challenge it because if not it will just escalate the scope of what every loud fool will justify his warp thoughts with the religion with.
Very interesting article. Important thing is not attempting changes, but that there's actual relevant discussions of the core meaning of the religion and how it functions in modern society. Instead of taking every word uttered of what the religion is in face value and hence have a very shallow grasp of it (instead find out for yourself).
Hopefully this time it lets me bone hot girls and get piss drunk... or both at the same time.
Do whatever you want, but try to help the progress of mankind
1. make sure you don't hurt others, and know when to moderate.
2. respect others and yourself.
3. Don't be a dick
4. Don't be a douchebag
5. Don't sell your religion for money.
6. No religion should dictate what you wear... In fact, wear whatever you want, if you want to be stylish, be stylish, if you want to be a geek and wear tight pants, running shoes and a tight golf shirt go for it. If its just too damn hot, try to wear less stuff, seriously... it just starts to stink after a while.
7. Don't mix religion and politics.
8. Keep religion away from controversial subjects.
9. Do not manipulate it in a way that will harm yourself or others.
10. Don't be a crook, thief, murderer etc.
In conclusion: Just use some damn common sense. LIVE IN THE NOW
So am I, but there are a lot of people out there who have no clue what to do without religion. No common sense. Having an abolishment of religion will allow those people to throw themselves in complete anarchy and misdirection.
Sound familiar? Religion will be re-created all over again because one person from that pack will have an IQ of about 2 more than the others and decide to try and lead them with a set of rules.